2017 QX60 P0014 P0017: Engine sludged up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
My very first post.

A question for pro mechanics here. :)
Do I need to replace the engine?

I have been using Amsoil for my cars for over 10 years without issues.

However, my 2017 QX60 with 84k miles had a check engine light. I went to the dealer and the mechanic said that he has seen this when there is oil sludge problem (p0014, p0017; idling EXH/V TIM B1 12.5 at parked) - probably requiring a new engine. He did say that he need to take the oil pan and engine cover off to verify.
I decided to get a second opinion at a local shop - more to come.

I have been using “signature series 0w-20 synthetic oil” with their filter at 15k miles intervals, and this check engine light came on 6k after the most recent oil change.

How likely is it that I’d have a sludge problem? Is there anything I should ask the local mechanic to look for? I’d hate to spend $$ to replace engine which will be close to the value of the car (there are other fixes I need to do; rear coupler, radiator fan, 1-2 seconds delay car shutting off after pushing the off switch)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would also contact AMSOIL immediately as well. The implication you pose is that their lube was at least partially at fault. Amsoil does support extended OCIs, but there's conditions you must follow to have them support that position.

"Guaranteed protection for up to 25,000 miles or 1 year" for normal service

"SERVICE LIFE Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles (40,200 km), 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under severe service. Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles (24,140 km), 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first. Severe service conditions include commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; or frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions. • Modified engines (non-stock), racing vehicles and vehicles using alternative fuels (E85, CNG, propane, etc.) are excluded from extended drain interval recommendations. • Change at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended drain interval outside U.S. and Canada. • AMSOIL Oil Filters are designed for extended drain intervals. Do not exceed 12,000 miles (19,312 km) or one year with other brand filters unless longer intervals are recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Always change filter when changing oil. • Check oil regularly to maintain proper fill levels. AMSOIL Oil Filters stop smaller particles, flow more oil and last longer than regular filters. For best performance, use AMSOIL Oil Filters. AMSOIL PRODUCT WARRANTY Using AMSOIL synthetic lubricants or practicing extended drain intervals does not void your new vehicle or equipment manufacturer’s warranty. All AMSOIL lubricants and filters are covered by the AMSOIL Limited Warranty. For complete information visit AMSOIL.com/warranty.aspx."

Which engine, BTW?

Last edited:
I would also contact AMSOIL immediately as well. The implication you pose is that their lube was at least partially at fault. Amsoil does support extended OCIs, but there's conditions you must follow to have them support that position.

Which engine, BTW?
I did contact Amsoil and they made it sound like they will not cover it.

It’s 3.5L V6 engine.

Do you recommend 5w-30instead or something like 10k intervals with 0w-20?
Yes, at least drastically lower the OCI.
The only reason why manufacturers recommend 0w20 is for fuel economy.
At this point, until the engine is properly inspected, it's anyone's guess as to the cause of your issue.
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Service schedule calls for oil change every 5,000 miles. https://www.infinitiofsanjose.com/service/service-tips/infiniti-qx60-maintenance-schedule/ No way Amsoil is going to cover anything when you tripled the manufacturers requirements.
That is not true. We are not dealing with the OEM schedule. It's the Amsoil intervals we're discussing. READ the Amsoil statement I linked above. The severe service interval is 15k miles when using Amsoil Signature lube and Amsoil filters, which he claims he did.
SERVICE LIFE Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles (40,200 km), 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under severe service. Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles (24,140 km), 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first. Severe service conditions include commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; or frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions.

Last edited:
I did contact Amsoil and they made it sound like they will not cover it.

It’s 3.5L V6 engine.

You're gonna have to do better than that to make me believe you made an effort.
- you claim you did 15k mile OCIs; that would be well within the 25k mil "normal" and in-line with their "severe" limits
- you claim you used their oil filters; that is part of their OCI plan and the FCI is aligned with the OCI (25k or 15k)
- you have not stated how long you've been using their products; was it the majority of the 85k vehicle miles?
- do you have proof of purchase of their Amsoil products?

Presuming all you claim is true, I don't see why Amsoil would back away from this.
You used their prescribed lube (0w-20) for their prescribed OCIs, with concurrent FCIs, right?

What reason did they give you for "not covering" this event?

You're gonna have to do better than that to make me believe you made an effort.
- you claim you did 15k mile OCIs; that would be well within the 25k mil "normal" and in-line with their "severe" limits
- you claim you used their oil filters; that is part of their OCI plan and the FCI is aligned with the OCI (25k or 15k)
- you have not stated how long you've been using their products; was it the majority of the 85k vehicle miles?
- do you have proof of purchase of their Amsoil products?

Presuming all you claim is true, I don't see why Amsoil would back away from this. What reason did they give you for "not covering" this event?
The answers are all yes and I did use their oil as soon as the first oil change (5k).

Amsoil was telling me that there has to be a proof that it is caused by their oil, and because one of the two blocks is having an issue (B1 and not B2), the rep said it is probably a mechanical issue. To be honest, I don’t know if there is actually sludge at this point - I am hoping it’s some kind of a “simple” mechanical issue. I am looking for some thoughts /advice from the “experts” what it could be (how likely it is a sludge problem vs other potential issues).

That is not true. We are not dealing with the OEM schedule. It's the Amsoil intervals we're discussing. READ the Amsoil statement I linked above. The severe service interval is 15k miles when using Amsoil Signature lube and Amsoil filters, which he claims he did.
SERVICE LIFE Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles (40,200 km), 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under severe service. Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles (24,140 km), 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first. Severe service conditions include commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; or frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions.
Sure, they may replace the overpriced oil if he argues enough, but I see nothing saying they will cover the cost of engine repair or replacement, at least not until it fails. So many conditions they can deny you for. And those are cam position codes likely caused by worn chains or tensioners. Could run a long time like that. Valvoline had a 300,000 mile guarranty. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/valvoline-to-offer-300-000-mile-engine-guarantee.108248/ Got to wonder if they paid out a penny or if it was just a marketing gimmick.

The answers are all yes and I did use their oil as soon as the first oil change (5k).

Amsoil was telling me that there has to be a proof that it is caused by their oil, and because one of the two blocks is having an issue (B1 and not B2), the rep said it is probably a mechanical issue. To be honest, I don’t know if there is actually sludge at this point - I am hoping it’s some kind of a “simple” mechanical issue. I am looking for some thoughts /advice from the “experts” what it could be (how likely it is a sludge problem vs other potential issues).
At 85k miles and five years, I would assume the OE warranty has expired.
The Amsoil warranty should be in effect.

Here's my advice, and you're probably not going to like it ... So I apologize if this offends you ....

You've come here with suppositions and guesses, not facts. You have one opinon from one mechanic, and apparently no one has even opened the engine up yet? So you ask about sludge, but have no proof. Your first question is "Do I need to replace the engine?" HOW WOULD WE KNOW??? We can't see the engine; we only know what you've told us, and that frankly is vague at best. Here's what we know so far:
- you have an engine problem with some set codes
- your mechanic has not yet pulled the pan nor valve cover, but has already suggested it's possibly sludge (so he's totally guessing)
- you haven't got a UOA; that would tell us a lot more
- you haven't got us pictures under the valve cover or inside the pan; that would tell us a lot more
- Amsoil's specific claim process is well described in their written limited warranty (posted previously); if you want them to at least take you seriously, you need to follow their prescribed process - not that it's an automatic assurance of coverage, but they will NOT do anything unless you follow their process

GO GET FACTS, then return to ask more detailed questions.
I'm locking this thread; it's nothing but supposition so far, and it has no hope of being anything but that until FACTS are known.
OP - when you get facts, PM me and I'll unlock this thread again so you can update us with real info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back