2017 Mustang

Hey guys, anyone tried Lubegard limited slip additive? Trying to figure out if my experience is an anomaly, or the norm. Changed the gear oil my sister-in-law's '17 Mustang EcoBoost (Trak-Lok) about 5 months ago, using Lucas 75W-90 and Lubegard limited slip additive (all O'Reilly had). Haven't had the chance to ride in the car again until this weekend. I've never heard such moaning from an LSD in my life. Anyone experienced this? Ordered some Redline and the Ford XL-3 additive and will be changing it again this weekend. Will this change fix it, or are the clutch plates messed up now?

Last edited:
Does it moan only while turning or also when going straight?

If the Lucas oil is very black when you drain it, I'd worry about the clutches. Otherwise, refill it with the Redline oil and drive around for a bit. Do some figure eights. The regular Redline 75W90 has plenty of additive in it already, so don't add more until you've had a chance to drive the car. Too much additive will kill the LSD action.

Does it moan only while turning or also when going straight?

If the Lucas oil is very black when you drain it, I'd worry about the clutches. Otherwise, refill it with the Redline oil and drive around for a bit. Do some figure eights. The regular Redline 75W90 has plenty of additive in it already, so don't add more until you've had a chance to drive the car. Too much additive will kill the LSD action.
Thanks, Asterix. It only moans while turning at parking lot speeds. The reason I picked up the additive is that my 2018 moaned on straight Redline, and stopped when I added the Ford "potion". Anxious to get this swap made before she puts more miles on it. Sure wish she had mentioned this to me when she first heard it.

Feeling blessed. Put in the Redline and XL-3 and did a few figure-8s in a parking lot, and the moaning stopped. LSD seems to be working, as I put the right side of the car on blacktop and the left side on a gravel, put the spurs to it, and it didn't "one-wheel burnout". Got lucky this time. LubeGard's additive, or Lucas gear oil - not a friend to the Trac-Lok diff.

Back