2017 Hyundai tucson 2.0 burning oil

So I'll keep it short this is my gfs car and ever since it's purchase we have had issues with its oil consumption probably 2qts per 5k fast forward to now it's 2qts a week I have takin this thing in to hyundai multiple times to do consumption tests and magically every time not a drop is missing even though when I check before dropping it off it's low on the stick it developed a diesel like engine sound but that's perfectly normal says the dealers took it in for the most recent recall for (possible possible main bearing issue/knock detection update) they took about 20 min updated the and run the test and yet again they found no issues so my question is this a common problem or is there a hyundai rep I could contact to have someone look a this turd properly?

If i recall they have bad valve seals or it could be a stuck open pcv valve, if it's still in warranty take it to another dealer.

Sounds like you are getting the run around from that dealer. I agree with the above poster find another dealer. If you have consumption issues there is no reason it should be a debacle to get it fixed.

Sounds like you are getting the run around from that dealer. I agree with the above poster find another dealer. If you have consumption issues there is no reason it should be a debacle to get it fixed.
Some dealers just do not want to deal with warranty work, its just not profitable, but it is a responsibility for having a dealership. For every bay that is filled with warranty work (work with said car company only pays a certain amount of labor), there is a very low amount of profit (if there even is any).

I just changed the pcv so we will see if that's a thing or not and I'll check into the valve seals next... today I did a drain and fill with some Dino 10w30 instead of the 5w20 it calls for at this point I can't justify spending tons of money on synthetic if it just constantly dissappears. I doubt it'll make much difference but we will see also pulled a sample to send off and will pull probably 2 more in the next couple months to try and narrow down the issue

As others have said, take it to another dealer. Obviously the one you’ve been taking it to sucks and they’re just not interested in helping you at all. Well,..they’re not interested until you have to pay them, then they’ll be telling you everything that’s wrong with the car.

Reactions: pbm
Most likely a 2.0L Nu engine, GDI non turbo.

We have the same car.

Just finished the bearing test in ours (Recall procedure). Apparantly they use a tablet, and measure bearing wear with a scope in each cylinder at TDC. Took my dealer a full day to do the job. Our's passed as well and received the updated PCM flash.

This is the third recall for this car.

Ours has about 30k miles on it, and has been good. I use 5w20 but recently switched to 5w30 as the dealer started pouring that. This engine is approved for 10w30 as well, in certain climates, and Texas is that certain climate.

My wife was on a trip this week so I took the Tuscon everywhere. Great little car, hope it stays together for some time for us.

I have been throwing $26 oil changes at it every 3000-3200 miles. Valvoline 5w30 conventional, and they rebrand an OEM filter as their own.

Ours uses maybe 8 ounces of oil within 3000 miles. I keep a quart of supertech on hand to top it off before it goes in for oil change again.

I don't think this one got the lifetime powertrain warranty like my 2.4L sonata did. I figured that once it went in for recall and passed the bearing wear test they would extend the warranty but my service advisor didn't say anything.

Well the 10w30/ pcv change helped a bit then the trans started going out.... lol only 100k on the clock and the engine is a turd and trans could barely pull itself down the road all maintenance has been done on schedule or ahead of time I'm very particular about my maintenance schedule.... honestly i gave up on it its been a lemon to me from the day we got it and I can't justify dumping money into it also ive got a baby on the way so i dont want an unreliable vehicle so I drove it to my local ford dealer managed to get a decent trade in value and bought a new 2022 explorer with the 2.3 eco

Any update on this @robo339, I have exact similar issue with my 2017 Tucson 2L. With diesel like sound, and gas consumption a bit up.
I went to the dealer, after getting engine light...They changed the ignition coils, and but this seems to have fixed the issue temporarily.
I really want to trust these cars, as they bring more values than many other brands....

Back