2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T - First Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello experts.

Just purchased a 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo. Looking ahead to the first oil change at 1,000 to 1,500 miles, and am looking for advice on oil type and favorites. The oil cap says 5w-30, but I am thinking I'd like to use 5w-40 (no, I don't live in a hot climate - Seattle - but the first change will likely be right at the start of summer here with temps up to 90 degrees peak). The classic temperature oil viscosity graph you've seen a thousand times is in the manual. The manual states that the 2.0 Turbo requires ACEA A5 or above.

Car is for the wife. She does lots of short trips, where unfortunately, the car will barely get up to full temp if at all on many of her drives. I've tried to convince her to drive the car longer during the break in period, but she rolls her eyes and says that's ridiculous.

So, my question is should I go with the standard 5W-30 or stretch it to the 5w-40? Planning to use full synthetic. I will bring the oil to the dealer and let them install the factory filter so I have full documentation. Car salesman said they use a blended synthetic at the service bay, for what that's worth.

Hate to start another "which oil should I use thread", but after extended searching, I am more conflicted than ever before.

Thanks in advance. I've learned a lot here, and really appreciate the input by all.

pianokeys

First, congrats on your new Sonata. Since this is a turbo engine, use full synthetic and the viscosity Hyundai recommends which is 5w-30 as you said. Any major brand will serve this car well. I like Castrol and Valvoline. If you have a favorite and it has the specs, go with it. Since it's going to be short tripped, I would go with 5k oci. I also like the idea of a early change at 1000 miles so change it then and next at 5k to get you on schedule.

All this of course depends on Hyundai and their warranty. If they push a shorter change interval to uphold the warranty you may have to go that route. Finally, get that car on the freeway or highway once a week and run it. That means getting out of the metro since the traffic there is a bugger. I know, I live here as well.

First off, WELCOME to bitog! Thanks for joining and take your seat in the asylum!
Being a big fan of Edge 0w40 I would normally recommend it, but in your case ( warranty) I'm going to throw this out: how about magnetec in 5w30 flavor? It's proven to impress come UOA time and while it is a semi syn, it was recently posted here that a bottle of the 5w30 was found that had been amended to "full sun".
If that's the case it should be a terrific oil instead of a great oil.
At any rate, enjoy your new car, and give us a review on it after you've rolled a few miles....

Considering warranty, stick to 5W30. However, if you want something heavier use ACEA A3/B3 B4 5W30 oil. ACEA A5 does not mean that it is better then A3. It is specification aimed at different use.
Get Castrol Edge 5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4 on Amazon. It is almost as heavy as 5W40 or any other 5W30 that meets ACEA A3/B3 B4 and specifications MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502.00.

"Full documentation" won't help you one bit in an oil-related failure if Hyundai can immediately say that you used the incorrect grade oil or an oil without the proper specs. If the manual states that 5W-40 is acceptable and the oil you pick meets the right specs, then go for it. Otherwise stick with a manual-approved oil while you are within the warranty period.

Once your warranty is up, feel free to use whatever oil you'd like.

First,

welcome2.gif

Second..

Originally Posted By: Chewie
"Full documentation" won't help you one bit in an oil-related failure if Hyundai can immediately say that you used the incorrect grade oil or an oil without the proper specs. If the manual states that 5W-40 is acceptable and the oil you pick meets the right specs, then go for it. Otherwise stick with a manual-approved oil while you are within the warranty period.

^ Because this.

Use any ACEA A5 or above, as the manual states.

I'd go the castrol A3/B4 as mentioned above. It's stronger than a5/b5, which is a resource conserving oil.

Think of a5/b5 as closer to 20 and A3/B4 being closer to 40.

They can't fault any warranty claims for using A3/B4. The only thing it will hurt is fuel economy by an almost immeasurable amount.

Guard against possible low speed pre ignition (LSPI) in the turbo with low calcium synthetic oil such as M1 5W30 . For suburban runs , short trips , etc. change oil & filter every 5,000 miles . Oil drain plug is 17mm while the 9 or so bolts on the underneath passenger side holding the cover on (to get to the drain plug) are 10mm (ask me how I know
smile.gif
**A turbo 2.4L grocery getter ? ...Take that thing out for a run to Vancouver or better yet Banff once in a while !!

Originally Posted By: ernied
Hyundai recommends quakerstate why not use that?

I just bought a 2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 last month. The owner's manual states that Hyundai recommends Quaker State oil, but on the air filter box is a Shell Helix decal. Either way, I'll probably just stick with Pennzoil Platinum.

L8R,
Matt

Use any Full synthetic 5W30 motor oil and do 5K OCI"s. If the dealer uses QSUD full syn, it is a fine oil and will work very well in your vehicle. This will serve you and your 2.0 Turbo fine...

Last edited:
You don't have to use the brand that Hyundai recommends in the manual or on the car. That's just a paid commercial. Just make sure the oil you pick meets their specs as I mentioned previously.

I'll bet the dealership doesn't use Quaker State.

The only easily obtainable ACEA A5 5W30 at the moment is Pennzoil Platinum. As mentioned already, Hyundai recommends Quaker State but there is no QS that currently meets A5.

I recommend using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. That's what I currently use in my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. It meets all of the requirements in the manual (A5) and can be found for a very reasonable price. It can also be found at many places.

Originally Posted By: pianokeys
Hello experts.

Just purchased a 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo. Looking ahead to the first oil change at 1,000 to 1,500 miles, and am looking for advice on oil type and favorites. The oil cap says 5w-30, but I am thinking I'd like to use 5w-40 (no, I don't live in a hot climate - Seattle - but the first change will likely be right at the start of summer here with temps up to 90 degrees peak). The classic temperature oil viscosity graph you've seen a thousand times is in the manual. The manual states that the 2.0 Turbo requires ACEA A5 or above.

Car is for the wife. She does lots of short trips, where unfortunately, the car will barely get up to full temp if at all on many of her drives. I've tried to convince her to drive the car longer during the break in period, but she rolls her eyes and says that's ridiculous.

So, my question is should I go with the standard 5W-30 or stretch it to the 5w-40? Planning to use full synthetic. I will bring the oil to the dealer and let them install the factory filter so I have full documentation. Car salesman said they use a blended synthetic at the service bay, for what that's worth.

Hate to start another "which oil should I use thread", but after extended searching, I am more conflicted than ever before.

Thanks in advance. I've learned a lot here, and really appreciate the input by all.

pianokeys

Hyundai and Kia (Optima is the kissing cousin) only recommend 5W-30 or 5W-40, API SN rated oil with ACEA A3 or A5 for the 2.0T GDI engine. I would only go with a full synthetic oil. I would recommend you step up from 5W-30 to 5W-40 oil considering you have the turbo engine and you want to keep your engine happy.

You have many options to choose from. Just keep your OCI interval short (under 5K miles, as per the owners manual) and
enjoy the car!

FWIW: I've run M1 0W-40 (Euro) since new but I am switching to Castrol Edge 0W-40 (Euro) as it has all the ratings the OEM is now recommending. It is API SM/SN, ACEA of A3/B4, ILSAC of GF-5, etc.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of faith in Hyundai's engineering dept. They spec 5w20 for my turbo from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Timo325
First,

welcome2.gif

Second..

^ Because this.

What qualitifes as ACEA A5 or above? Is A3/B3/B4 above ACEA 5A?

Originally Posted By: GRWOil
Originally Posted By: Timo325
First,

welcome2.gif

Second..

^ Because this.

What qualitifes as ACEA A5 or above? Is A3/B3/B4 above ACEA 5A?

^This.
If he wants better protection, then A3/B3 B4 is way to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back