2017 Honda CR-V buy back, now sitting on used lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more than annoyed with Honda right now.

I know of a 2017 CR-V with less than 6,000 miles on it, that Honda bought back due to several unresolved electrical gremlins. The original owner bought it new last fall.

The heater wouldn't get hot when it was cold out. The radio would lose its presets, sometimes only the AM, sometimes only the FM. The collision mitigation system would activate (apply the brakes) when there was absolutely nothing to avoid. These are just a few, the list went on and on.

When it was obvious that fixing this thing was going to be a steep uphill battle, the dealership let him pick a new 2018 CR-V off the lot, and let him drive it for a few days as a loaner, while the buy back was being arranged. He ended up keeping the 2018 loaner.

And what did the dealer do with his gremlin infested 2017? They cleaned it up, CPO'd it, and parked it out on the used lot. I can't imagine that they'd CPO it, with all of these issues, especially with the collision mitigation issues. That alone could *cause* a wreck, and hurt/kill people.

Buyer beware, indeed.

Maybe they cleared up the issues and the vehicle is just as safe as that 2018 he drove off in.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Maybe they cleared up the issues and the vehicle is just as safe as that 2018 he drove off in.

This. I'd highly doubt that knowing they were doing the buyback, corporate would let them sell it as a CPO unless all the issues were corrected and tested.

Honda should have taken the vehicle to a center for dismantling and research on the parts. The other usable parts could have been sold off as used or reconditioned ones. The dealer, and even Honda, should be ashamed if this is all true. Safety should always be the number one priority.

They probably just replaced the battery or fixed a bad ground and it worked. Been there done that with cars with a lot of electrical issues.

I purchased a very cheap 2007 MDX that lit up like an xmas tree a few days latter with power windows failing needing to relearn, SH-AWD light on, check engine light code thrown, ABS on, traction control on, air bags off, transmission light flashing.

Dealer too busy said replace battery at Walmart no less then call back if not fixed for appointment. Fast forward 7 years/90k miles now with 170k car is flawless.

You say Honda bought it back. Do we know that Honda corporate bought it, or did the dealer work out a deal where they could take it back and not lose their shirt, having it to sell?

I'm not saying it wasn't a corporate buy back. But I am not sure it was either.

I'd think if Honda shelled out the money for this, they would want the vehicle so they could figure out why it was so problematic.

If the dealership just figured out they could "take it on trade" and put the owner in a new Honda, then as far as the paperwork goes, it was a low mileage trade in.

So, do we know it was a Honda corporate buy back?

This. Very likely the first several times they couldn't fix it right because the tech wasn't experienced.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Keep a close eye on Honda. They are really having problems. There is a stop-sale on all new CRVs in China that just started a few days ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/02/reut...n-rejected.html

Plus, dozens of similar complaints, including engine replacements, on domestic CRV forums. What’s heard from American Honda? Crickets.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
You say Honda bought it back. Do we know that Honda corporate bought it, or did the dealer work out a deal where they could take it back and not lose their shirt, having it to sell?

I'm not saying it wasn't a corporate buy back. But I am not sure it was either.

I'd think if Honda shelled out the money for this, they would want the vehicle so they could figure out why it was so problematic.

If the dealership just figured out they could "take it on trade" and put the owner in a new Honda, then as far as the paperwork goes, it was a low mileage trade in.

So, do we know it was a Honda corporate buy back?

We are getting here a second handed storyfrom a second handed story no one on this board knows the real TRUE story.

Disclaimer: I am not a Honda Fanboy but I have seen enough Honda's to suppose there may be a dead fish here somewhere. Go on any car board and you become "somewhat" skeptical about everything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamFan

This. I'd highly doubt that knowing they were doing the buyback, corporate would let them sell it as a CPO unless all the issues were corrected and tested.

Most of those issues have service bulletins and are simple fixes.

Well, the heater core one takes a little while, need to flush the heater core with a CLR/water mixture.

OP, what did you expect the dealer to do, crush it?

Last edited:
Probably a simple electrical gremlin once it was found (I would assume they found it) that effected the heater blend door and other components. The loss of presets indicates a power or ground loss, so they had direction where to look.
As someone posted what are they supposed to do with a 2017 scrap it? Even if they had to change the wiring harnesses one by one it would still be less than the loss they would take.

Why would you be anything with Honda?
You have no skin in this game and you don't have the first hand story from the dealer and the buyer.
I do know that the aftermarket cheapo remote starts that many buyers too cheap to pay for the proper manufacturer's set-up have installed can cause serious problems.
Buyer may have been on their billionth family Honda from this dealer so the dealer may have just eaten whatever loss he had to take as a matter of goodwill on an easy fix issue.
Either way, we have no way of knowing.
Out of nine Hondas over the past forty years, we've never had a bad one.
Just not in their DNA.

This is a car business thing and not a Honda specific thing. OP, please change title and acquiesce such accordingly.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
They probably just ...............fixed a bad ground and it worked. Been there done that with cars with a lot of electrical issues.

^^^ there is a LOT of truth in this ^^^

I have "killed" many gremlins just by adding another ground wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back