2017 Honda Accord Sport Under Valve Cover

So here we are. At 199,000 mi and some change. I bought the car and December of 2020 with 30,000 miles on it. Had a CVT fluid exchange done that day before I left the dealer. And then one CVT fluid exchange every 10 to 15,000 miles with Castrol transmax and then recently adding the BG Cvt 303 additive as I had a very very light wet spot on a transmission seal that has now since dried up. Oil that was used was redline oil 0w-20 and ar9100 till about a little over 100,000 miles. At that point I converted over to using various 0w 30s as well as 5W30 synthetic oils along with LM Ceratec every third oil change. I did use their hydraulic lifter additive not because I have, but when I had ordered MOS2 from the Amazon I failed to look inside and seen that they sent the wrong cans. Called customer service and they told me that it would be fine and actually it would help keep things cleaner inside and that no harm would be done. Right before this service probably about 175 or 185,000 mi ago I went out and supported one of our new donors @High Performance Lubricants and bought a few quarts of their engine cleaner 30.

I think it looks pretty good some people will say it does others will say I could have used a different oil. Whatever opinions people may have I'm sure glad that I did it the way that I did it and I don't have any regrets.

Services done were spark plug replacement along with new valve cover gasket and adjusting of the valves, I got a new belt tensioner and a new belt, I bought a brand new water pump, brand new brakes and rotors, brake fluid exchange, CVT transmission drain and fill, and oil change and tire rotation and balance with nitrogen.

Attachments

• IMG_20220920_102944.jpg
    IMG_20220920_102944.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_20220920_102948.jpg
    IMG_20220920_102948.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_20220920_102953.jpg
    IMG_20220920_102953.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 425
So here we are. At 199,000 mi and some change. I bought the car and December of 2020 with 30,000 miles on it. Had a CVT fluid exchange done that day before I left the dealer. And then one CVT fluid exchange every 10 to 15,000 miles with Castrol transmax and then recently adding the BG Cvt 303 additive as I had a very very light wet spot on a transmission seal that has now since dried up. Oil that was used was redline oil 0w-20 and ar9100 till about a little over 100,000 miles. At that point I converted over to using various 0w 30s as well as 5W30 synthetic oils along with LM Ceratec every third oil change. I did use their hydraulic lifter additive not because I have, but when I had ordered MOS2 from the Amazon I failed to look inside and seen that they sent the wrong cans. Called customer service and they told me that it would be fine and actually it would help keep things cleaner inside and that no harm would be done. Right before this service probably about 175 or 185,000 mi ago I went out and supported one of our new donors @High Performance Lubricants and bought a few quarts of their engine cleaner 30.

I think it looks pretty good some people will say it does others will say I could have used a different oil. Whatever opinions people may have I'm sure glad that I did it the way that I did it and I don't have any regrets.

Services done were spark plug replacement along with new valve cover gasket and adjusting of the valves, I got a new belt tensioner and a new belt, I bought a brand new water pump, brand new brakes and rotors, brake fluid exchange, CVT transmission drain and fill, and oil change and tire rotation and balance with nitrogen.
Hey its a Honda...Just getting broken in....:)

I always like seeing such clean engines under the valve cover! Growing up working on carbureted cars that were poorly maintained, I was used to seeing sludge, varnish and ugly engine internals. I'd say it is refreshing to see mostly clean internals.

This engine is exceptionally clean inside. Nice job caring for your car.

I always like seeing such clean engines under the valve cover! Growing up working on carbureted cars that were poorly maintained, I was used to seeing sludge, varnish and ugly engine internals. I'd say it is refreshing to see mostly clean internals.

This engine is exceptionally clean inside. Nice job caring for your car.
Well with the shortage of cars that are available out there, I paid this one off the day I bought it in cash it's a lot cheaper usually to take care of your car maintain your car and fix and repair your car than it is to go out and buy a brand new one and get hit with all the property tax and sales tax and everything else. It's essentially just like a marriage, getting a newer model is just going to cost you more money

So, ~169k miles in 1 year and ~7-8 months. Based on that I'd speculate a significant majority of those highway/road miles at operating temps. That would be best and easiest for an engine.

The under valve cover pics look good. The one piece of information I couldn't find and would be of greatest interest to me, what was the average oil change interval?

Last edited:

Have you been doing oil changes and maintenance by the Honda Maintenance Minder??

Looks great. But what do you do with the car. Judging from the mileage I think standard syn oil at 10k intervals and less frequent 30k cvt fluid changes would've still served the car just fine. Doesn't appear to be working very hard with these probable highway miles.

So, ~169k miles in 1 year and ~7-8 months. Based on that I'd speculate a significant majority of those highway/road miles at operating temps. That would be best and easiest for an engine.

The under valve cover pics look good. The one piece of information I couldn't find and would be of greatest interest to me, what was the average oil change interval?
7 to 9,000 MI.

So, ~169k miles in 1 year and ~7-8 months. Based on that I'd speculate a significant majority of those highway/road miles at operating temps.
+2

I was going to ask: What does the OP do for a living? Some sort of long-distance sales job? That's a lot of driving!

Sounds like all you have is a guess. Guesses aren't certainty. Well the next time I buy a car you can buy all my fluids and then I'll let you dictate something.
Same with you - all you have is a sample size of 1. You have not done anything to prove efficacy of the snake oil.

Last edited:
Looks great. But what do you do with the car. Judging from the mileage I think standard syn oil at 10k intervals and less frequent 30k cvt fluid changes would've still served the car just fine. Doesn't appear to be working very hard with these probable highway miles.
No not the way she operates the vehicle. She has the tendency to get in the car and let it idle for 30 or 45 minutes with the air conditioning on talking to a physician's assistant or a pharmacist and she will smoke four or five cigarettes and not even bat an eye while she's on her computer. That's why I've done everything the way I've done it.

Why nitrogen?
Because all the new Hondas are filled with nitrogen and this one is always out in the open so it gets colder and hotter. The only thing I really noticed differently about the nitrogen is if you keep cars for a really long period of time that in real humid areas you might have a tendency to have more rust. They already bill it into the bill of sale when you buy a new Honda and they gave it to me for free I'm going to keep using it.

Back