2017 Honda Accord oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice red 6 speed. For my 2014 LX 6 speed, at 5000 miles, I switched to Penz Platinum 0w20.
I also have 99 Accord 5 speed (290k miles), and I still like the smaller size.

I understand the point about "cheaping out" on the oil. Pennzoil Plat is often on sale around 4.79 a quart at Farm and Fleet, and Mobil Super Synthetic is sometimes 3.99 (more than fine for a 5000 OCI). I will definitely take your Mobil 1 suggestion into consideration. Please keep the comments coming and thank you!

BTW, the engine is the 2.4 litre 189 horsepower 4 cylinder. The 3.5 271 horsepower v-6 is only available with a manual in the coupe. I wanted the 4 door and better gas mileage. The car runs like a dream and handles like its on rails.

I'm seriously thinking about a '17 Accord.
We like Hondas, have always had good experience with them and have had at least a couple in the family fleet for the past thirty years. We don't keep buying them because they're junk.
I wonder if I can still find a stick for decent dollars?

Upcoming 2018 Accord with turbo engine sounds good. I still think Earth Dream 2.4 with manual is a cool combo. It has the zip when I step on it and yet yields 35 plus combined MPG. I just wish they offered more lighter colors back in 2014, Locating manual LX took sometime too.

Originally Posted By: z917990
I understand the point about "cheaping out" on the oil. Pennzoil Plat is often on sale around 4.79 a quart at Farm and Fleet, and Mobil Super Synthetic is sometimes 3.99 (more than fine for a 5000 OCI). I will definitely take your Mobil 1 suggestion into consideration. Please keep the comments coming and thank you!

And don't forget - There are Mobil1 rebates a couple times a year. $12 rebate on 5 quart purchase (jug or single qts). They allow two rebates per household per rebate period. In the past year and a half, I've bought 30 quarts of EP for about 3.09 a quart incl tax after the $72 rebate (Walmart jugs). Rebate can be submitted on line in under 5 minutes - it does take a month or two to receive the check however.

How in the world did you find a red manual??!?! I was browsing these a few months ago and couldn't locate one in se TX.

Does the car have that classic Honda solid built feel?

My wife and I took the car for a shakedown cruise and it was fantastic! Yes, as one who has owned 6 Hondas, this one is totally up to par.

UPDATE: Well, I am having great difficulty finding Honda semi-synthetic 0w-20 in my area. Prices per quart online are outrageous; the lowest I saw was $6.xx plus shipping. I visited the local dealership and asked what oil they used and I got this response (I swear this is totally true): "Well...if the customer wants Mobil, we tell him that we use Mobil. If he wants Valvoline, we tell him we use Valvoline...etc.". I was appalled. Gxx knows what they use - probably bulk stuff and who knows if the oil is the right viscosity. So, with all these problems, I think that I am going to go with Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20 and the Fram Toughguard TG7317 with a 5000 mile OCI after I get rid of the factory fill (15% oil life as recommended). If have used this oil, or Peak Synthetic (5w-20 flavor) with this filter and OCI, in my other Hondas with the 2.4 litre engine and all of them run extremely well. I just had the valves adjusted on my '03 Accord and the mechanic said that everything looks super clean and within specs. As was mentioned, the owner's manual simply says to use any SN rated 0w-20 and both oils are that. I look forward to more feedback. Thank you!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: z917990
UPDATE: Well, I am having great difficulty finding Honda semi-synthetic 0w-20 in my area. Prices per quart online are outrageous; the lowest I saw was $6.xx plus shipping. I visited the local dealership and asked what oil they used and I got this response (I swear this is totally true): "Well...if the customer wants Mobil, we tell him that we use Mobil. If he wants Valvoline, we tell him we use Valvoline...etc.". I was appalled. Gxx knows what they use - probably bulk stuff and who knows if the oil is the right viscosity. So, with all these problems, I think that I am going to go with Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20 and the Fram Toughguard TG7317 with a 5000 mile OCI after I get rid of the factory fill (15% oil life as recommended). If have used this oil, or Peak Synthetic (5w-20 flavor) with this filter and OCI, in my other Hondas with the 2.4 litre engine and all of them run extremely well. I just had the valves adjusted on my '03 Accord and the mechanic said that everything looks super clean and within specs. As was mentioned, the owner's manual simply says to use any SN rated 0w-20 and both oils are that. I look forward to more feedback. Thank you!

With this modest OCI, Mobil Super Synthetic is sure an option. But consider Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 as a less-expensive alternative that's very well-regarded here or Mobil1 AFE 0w-20, which is perhaps more easily found and not much more expensive.

I didn't realize how great the Accord was until I bought the 17 Civic. Reason being I was basing everything on the 7th gen Accord and all the complaints of the 8th gen. They apparently fixed all the complaints I had in my 7th gen. Now I see the greatness within and across their entire lineup. Having said that, the Conoco Phillips made Motorcraft (5w-20 but it could work across any viscosity even 10w-30) semi syn was all I used on the 7th and it ran lighter on its feet with it. This is the impetus for me staying with Honda semi syn for this 17 Civic for atleast the free oil changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back