2017 Honda Accord oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All! Two weeks ago, I purchased a new Honda Accord Sport with a 6 speed manual, red exterior and black interior. I am absolutely in love. I have read the owner's manual and so far, there is no discernable maintenance schedule. I have read that the break in oil should be retained for approximately 5000 miles and that I should use the Honda 0w-20 semi synthetic for the first two changes. I was planning to purchase 9 quarts of the 0w-20 semi and a six pack of Honda A01 filters. After the first two changes, I was planning to use Peak Synthetic 0w-20 (available at my local Farm and Fleet for 3.99 regular price and sometimes 2.79 on sale) and Honda A01 filters for approximately 5000 miles oil change intervals. My questions: 1. Should I keep the break in oil in the engine for 5000 miles? 2. Should I use the Honda semi synthetic for the first two changes? 3. Is Peak synthetic acceptable? I have been using Peak synthetic or Napa synthetic in my 2003 Accord 2.4 (183,500 miles) and in my 2007 Accord 3.0 v-6 (116,000 miles) for many years and everything is AOK. I look forward to your feedback. Thank you!

I would leave the original oil in the engine for as long as the manual tells you to, or a full OCI. Some here will recommend an early oil change, but I don't subscribe to the theory.

As for he PEAK synthetic, sure, so long as it meets the Honda spec (if there is one.) The manual should list any requirements for oil specifications. Make sure you follow this, especially for warranty.

I've never heard of semi synthetic 0w 20, but otherwise that all sounds like a good plan to me. Congrats on the new ride!

Post pictures!

Look great. PS, I quickly glanced at your manual and any SN rated 0w-20 is acceptable. Don't take my word for it, though.

Honda dealers do stock a Honda Synthetic Blend 0W-20 and new Hondas are shipped with that in them. I don't believe it's necessary to stick with it for the first two oil changes, but sticking with it certainly won't hurt it if you can get them done cheap at your dealership. As others have said, there shouldn't be any issues with Peak as long as it checks all the boxes. Enjoy your new ride! Those Sports are a blast and those 19" rims are awesome.

We have a '17 accord ex the first oil change was done recently before my wife made a trip to Fargo from northeast Wisconsin. The car had 7300 miles and the OLM was at 30%. I used Kendall gt-1 max 0w20 and the synthetic fram filter. These cars are awesome. We got back from Wisconsin Dells last night averaged 38 mpg there and 40 mpg home doing 75 mph.

The oil change on this car gets pretty messy. I was surprised. Even our old Buick century was this messy.

Last edited:
Beautiful car! Same color as mine. I'm like you,the very second I drove one of these I was in love and had to have one. I've never driven a car that's so smooth,solid,precision,and economically perfect before.

Honda 4 cylinders are super easy on oil. One of the best engines ever made too.

I run 30 weight oil in my Accord. Usually Pennzoil Ultra 5w30. Although the last two oil changes I've used a 50/50 mix of Valvoline Synthetic Racing 10w30 (blue oil) and VSP 5w30.

I also run a good synthetic oil filter and change it every other oil change. I've only ever used Napa Platinum's, but I just got a 6-pack of MicroGreen oil filters in last week from Amazon.

When I run out of the Valvoline mix I'm using, I'll probably go with a 50/50 mix of M1 5w20 High Mileage and M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
BMW M series used to specify FF changes of motor oil, gear oil and diff fluid after first 1500 miles.

They still do.

Honda says do not change the factory fill until the OLM says to change it, or engine damage can occur. After that, change it every 1000 km if you wish.

FYI for OP, here in Canada, all the 0W20 we use is full synthetic only, we can not even get the semi synthetic version.

Last edited:
I have three 2014 Honda's -

1. Trust the OLM (oil life monitor)
2. Leave the break in oil until 10 or 20%.
3. I use Mobil 1 Extended performance 0W-20 and WIX or M1 oil filters, they're better than Honda OEM.
4. I start planning the oil change at 30%.

I've been averaging about 7.5K to 8K interval using the 30%.

Originally Posted By: z917990
I have read that the break in oil should be retained for approximately 5000 miles and that I should use the Honda 0w-20 semi synthetic for the first two changes.

Says who? Where?

Follow the OLM from day 1 and enjoy the car for the next two decades (at least). Hondas do not have any other required specs beyond using API-certified 0w20 which pretty much everyone makes and basically all of it is full synthetic. I'm sure the Peak syn is fine.

Personally I use Mobil 1 AFE in my '15 Sport because it's a known quality product and cheap at Walmart along with Mobil's rebates, but I'm not married to it.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I have three 2014 Honda's -

1. Trust the OLM (oil life monitor)
2. Leave the break in oil until 10 or 20%.
3. I use Mobil 1 Extended performance 0W-20 and WIX or M1 oil filters, they're better than Honda OEM.
4. I start planning the oil change at 30%.

I've been averaging about 7.5K to 8K interval using the 30%.

I only have one Honda car but give this a +1
My 95% highway driving trips the 15% reminder at just over 10k miles. Your choice of oil is fine as Honda has a very general spec. In your manual it says to use a 0w-20 and that's that's mentioned. I've used PPPP, QSUD, M1...no difference. Fram Ultras are a great filter too.

Your MM will also remind you to change air and cabin filters(30k). Honda says 3 years for brake fluid and I just changed mine for her 3rd birthday. It was nasty and I should have done it at year 2, fwiw. My CVT change reminder came on at 50k but I'm not sure about the 6-spd.

Please make sure you have facts to back up your statements. There's absolutely nothing special about Honda Factory Fill oil. It has very average additive package with no nothing special to it. With that being said, there's 0 need to keep that oil for 8K miles. OP - feel free to change the oil whenever you want. Use good synthetics and filter and enjoy the car.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Please make sure you have facts to back up your statements. There's absolutely nothing special about Honda Factory Fill oil. It has very average additive package with no nothing special to it. With that being said, there's 0 need to keep that oil for 8K miles. OP - feel free to change the oil whenever you want. Use good synthetics and filter and enjoy the car.

Yes, I have the facts, and have posted them here several times. I am a dealer tech (20 years with Acura/Honda) every couple years we get another service bulletin from Engineering stating that doing the first oil change early can damage the engine, and we are NOT to change the factory fill early. The factory fill oil is not the issue, it is the high moly assembly lube used they want retained in the oil. Doing the first oil change early can cause hot spots to form in the engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back