2017 Ford Escape - seems like some ATF came out of transmission vent - problem?

Guys,

I have a 2017 Escape with the 2.0L. I was changing the oil and noticed what appeared to be a little bit of old dried oil on the bottom of the transmission. I didn't see any fresh fluid. I traced it back and can see that it appears it came from the transmission vent on the top of the AT visible in the engine bay. The rubber cap is firmly in place as it should be. The little green plastic thingy on top of the rubber vent cap is there too, but seems slightly loose/wobbly (is this normal? Is the plastic green "cap" just cosmetic?). I have no idea and may not matter at all. Maybe a Ford tech can answer this. I'm wondering if that is some sort of valve that may be broken.

Anyway, everything shifts fine. It only has 37K miles so it is under the powertrain warranty still. I may have them look at it. I just didn't want to take it in for nothing. Is some venting under certain conditions (like maybe the transmission was slightly overfilled from the factory) "normal"?

Thanks!

pics: https://imgur.com/a/IivZRKj

Note that the rubber boot covering the trans vent has dried oil on it....also, the top of the trans does too. Pics aren't great, but oil doesn't seem fresh at all.

Not the first time I have seen someone claim their trans was overfilled from the factory. Better safe than sorry, especially on a sealed trans with lifetime fluid. It's going to need all the detergent it can get.

In the thread for the D&F on my trans, people were getting different amounts of fluid out when they dropped their FF, more than could be explained by the slope of the ground. It gets a little confusing when you are trying to to a measured D&F.

I'd mention it to the service advisor and start a paper trail. That trans might blow a seal or something, and if you can provide evidence that it was puking fluid through it's vents it might come in handy.

The transmission vent has a loose cap on purpose to let ATF out (and air in/out) as the transmission heats up & cools down under use. As long as the fluid level is good, fluid stays nice & red, and TCC operation is normal, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Wouldn't hurt to mention it to the dealer, but I wouldn't want to pay a powertrain warranty deductible for the dealer to "diagnose" it!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The transmission vent has a loose cap on purpose to let ATF out (and air in/out) as the transmission heats up & cools down under use. As long as the fluid level is good, fluid stays nice & red, and TCC operation is normal, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Wouldn't hurt to mention it to the dealer, but I wouldn't want to pay a powertrain warranty deductible for the dealer to "diagnose" it!

Thanks! That is reassuring. I'm going to take it in over the Christmas break and get the ATF drained/filled at the dealership. I've heard the tranny can be a weak point, and I figure an early drain/fill won't hurt. I'll mention it to them and hopefully they can take a look and make sure everything looks fine without charging me above/beyond what a drain/fill is going to cost me.

As stated above, the vent is for natural expansion. Keep it full and check it every couple weeks like your oil and coolant and brake fluid and whatever other fluid you have. No biggie if it pukes some here or there. Our Forester does it on nice long, hot summer drives up mountains.

Your transmission might have been slightly overfilled from the factory and did normal venting if it was overfilled. Better to be slightly overfilled and vent then be under filled and cause wear problems. I believe your transmission is the 6F35, the same as mine, which has a drain plug underneath it for easy draining and a fill plug or you can use the vent tube to refill like I do. I drain mine "cold" and refill with the same measured amount of "cold" ATF. After 3 drain & fills it has been still acting fine. I faithfully drain cold 4 quarts of ATF and have re filled with the same amount cold ATF. The dealer REFUSED to do a drain & fill, only a complete flush because they said it's "sealed" ???? I'm under warranty for 125,000 miles so to be "safe" I've been using Mercon LV I got from Rock Auto, buy the 12 quart case and it's $5.00/qt delivered.

Whimsey

Hmm. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll call a couple of local dealerships and check to see if they'll just do a drain/fill. I normally do ATF myself, but not having a dipstick--and the fact that the vent is very difficult for me to access--has me just wanting to take it to the dealer.

A drain and fill every 30K (severe service) or 50-60K (regular use) is what keeps the 6F35 going to 300K! Enjoy your Escape
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! It is actually my son's car (who is in college). I'm trying to teach him the right way to care for a vehicle. We changed the oil together yesterday. I try to explain all of the required maintenance so he knows what to do, but at the same time doesn't get ripped off. I want this car to last him a long to, hence the early-ish ATF change. It doesn't recommend one in the owner's manual until 150K miles! Nope!

PS. That 2.0L EcoBoost makes the Escape fun to drive. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

Originally Posted by dogememe
A drain and fill every 30K (severe service) or 50-60K (regular use) is what keeps the 6F35 going to 300K! Enjoy your Escape
smile.gif

Do you drain/fill yourself or take it to the dealership (or an independent mechanic)?

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
Originally Posted by dogememe
smile.gif

Do you drain/fill yourself or take it to the dealership (or an independent mechanic)?

I do it myself. I'm lucky because my 2010 still has a dipstick. I'm pretty sure all the 2013+ ones don't so it's a little bit of a hassle. On mine it's literally a 10 minute process. I would recommend either Valvoline Maxlife ATF or AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient ATV, both are high quality replacements for Motorcraft Mercon LV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
Hmm. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll call a couple of local dealerships and check to see if they'll just do a drain/fill. I normally do ATF myself, but not having a dipstick--and the fact that the vent is very difficult for me to access--has me just wanting to take it to the dealer.

Don't be afraid to move the wiring and hoses out of the way - they have plenty of flexibility. Putting the cap back on is actually the tricky part (for me) but what our teenage son did was lay under the car and reach up from the bottom and replaced it. I only had to 'guide' him slightly but it was done easily that way.

As for the fluid level, drive the car for a good 15+ minutes to get it fully up to operating temperature. Return to your garage or wherever you work on it, crank the steering wheel to the right and look behind the driver's side, front wheel. There's a very small fill plug there that also acts as your level plug. It's just like a manual gearbox or differential - fill it until fluid trickles out of that hole and that's filled to the correct level. The ATF must be HOT when you do it this way though. Now, you can confidently do a drain-and-fill. Do it when the fluid is hot or cold or warm (your choice - if you ask opinions here, people will say all of those are "best"). Collect the old fluid in a container that you can get a measurement on or what some people do is make a mark on the bottle, empty the contents, clean it out, then put new fluid up to the mark you made. Either way, let the old ATF cool down to ambient temperature (the same temperature as your new ATF) before you mark the level.

I know this an old thread.....I see the green vent cap
But where’s the fill cap like I see on lots of videos ???
My 2017 Lincoln has a green cap vent but no fill plug

Fluid could have been spilled when it was filled. To fill the trans you pull the breather off and stick a funnel in the hole. I am doing 50k fluid exchanges on my Escape. I have done one already. Dealer down the road from me did it for $213 using 15qts of fluid.

Fluid could have been spilled when it was filled. To fill the trans you pull the breather off and stick a funnel in the hole. I am doing 50k fluid exchanges on my Escape. I have done one already. Dealer down the road from me did it for $213 using 15qts of fluid.
Mine has a spring clamp holding it on

Back