2017 Ford 6.7PS ~12.5K miles Valvoline Premium Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by 4WD
13 gallon?

It is 13 or 14 quarts not gallons (I missed it).

It's 13 quarts.

Originally Posted by claluja
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by daved5150
.... I change mine when it tells me to which is about 7.2k miles or so, give or take. I'm just over half way through my last oil change and it will be my 4th UOA done by Blackstone. I run MC10w30. All prior UOAs have come back great. This current oil run I added LubeGard's Heavy Duty Engine Protectant additive in the proper amount. I am curious to see what the next UOA will reveal. I also run an FS2500 bypass.

Trying to get here more often and participate more than I have. Looking forward to your input.

For your 7.2k mile OCIs, you're wasting money on the additive and the bypass filter. For such a short OCI, those things won't affect the wear rates at all.

Gotta figure bypass will remove some soot, and reduce wear numbers in that respect. Wear numbers drop a lot in a 6.7 when deleted, likely due at least in part to much less soot in the oil. Bypass should work in a similar manner I would think.

I'm not a bypass guy, but it's got to help reduce wear to some extent.

Most bypass filter, including yours, are generally absolute around 2 or 3um. That sounds great. But ...
Soot starts out sub-micronic in size. In fact, it's WAY smaller than a micron. Generally it's around 40nm or so when it is formed; this will be application dependent of course But generally, it would have to grow (via agglomeration) about 100 times larger just to get to 4um. This growth in size comes from the add pack becoming compromised. It does not happen all at once; it's cumulative. In a 7.5k mile OCI, there's always going to be some soot that's large, but not a lot of it in quantity. Given that hard particulate (Si and soot/insolubles) have to be 5-15um to be significantly damaging in most engine clearances, you can see how the size of soot really matters. The vast majority of soot in a reasonably young sump isn't large enough for a BP to catch essentially.

BP filters are a fantastic tool when you really want to extend the OCIs; they are a fiscal saving tool to stretch out your OCI dollar. But in shorter OCIs, they aren't proven to reduce wear by any significant manner. There are lots of UOAs here when units with BP don't appreciably reduce wear numbers over their non-BP applications.

But, if you want to go ahead and prove me wrong, then by all means, do a long term wear study and show your proof of concept. I've got about 16,000 UOAs in my database reviewing all manner of applications; I'm confident of my position. Read the "normalcy" article pinned to this section; in there are some results from two Dmax applications that directly speak to this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back