2017 Ford 150 3.5 : What a disaster

any mechanic is going to give you worst case, they only see the worst case. vehicles that are well maintained never get too him. its the same as asking a the doctor about the Rona. people only see doctors when they're very ill. people who had a flu like symptoms for a few days and got better never went to the doctor.
The issues he was addressing were not 1of issues . He doesn't work on junk vehicle's at his shop .

After they screwed all those buyers of Fiestas and Focus with that Power Sh*7 transmission knowing it was unfixable and selling that garbage for years to the most budget conscious ? You know, the people who built Ford from the beginning, the common man, farmer and worker ?
I remember those..... I had a couple as rentals; 2013 and 2014 Focuses. I've never been more worried I'd be left stranded in the middle of nowhere other than in those two cars. And by "middle of nowhere", I meant it literally. I was on old Rt. 66 in the Mojave desert.... Buzzards were circling overhead all the way back to the motel each night, waiting to eat my dead body after the car left me stranded and I succumbed to the elements.

Obviously you cannot voice any negative opinions of your employer.

But now that he is independent, he can say what he wants. Are his observations legitimate?
Well he did buy a Ram Ecodiesel truck and post a video of why he bought it over a Ford even though he works mostly on Ford’s. Number one reason…reliability. That’s right a Ram eco diesel and reliable in the same sentence. I’d take his videos with a grain of salt BUT the few of his videos I have watched his repair processes and list of common problems were legit.

When I was still a Ford tech he was on a few of the same truck forums as I was. I think he’s a really smart guy and a good tech. He comes across as thinking that he’s genius level smart and the best tech ever. I know the guys in the official Ford tech Facebook group(which they still allow previous techs in)hate him. Especially the ones who have to deal with the stuff he brings in to the dealership service department from his independent shop.

I know the guys in the official Ford tech Facebook group(which they still allow previous techs in)hate him. Especially the ones who have to deal with the stuff he brings in to the dealership service department from his independent shop.
How so?

I think the assessment that he is a very good technician, who thinks they are a genius technician is spot on.

I don't think he only gets junk to work on, but the idea is he has to come up with good jobs that draw in the likes and subscribers. To do that, the information he needs to provide needs to be good (which his how to do jobs are exactly that). After that, what is the gotcha to get you to watch? And that is where you get videos like this one - and opinions that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Jealously I’m sure is some of it. He’s a well known YouTuber probably making darn good money posting about the work many are doing everyday. I’ll admit I wish I’d have thought of it first.

Because of him many customers are convinced that a timing job and high volume oil pump solves any problem with a 5.4 3V. Which is a legit fix if it’s caught early on. If the head has been starved of oil it’s not going to make up for the cam bearings(or machined surface they ride on in this case)being wiped out. I do not THINK he’s ever said it’s a fix for all of them, as previously stated I have not watched many of his videos but that is how people interpret them. Then you get the whole “they’re trying to screw me because FoRd TeCh Macaulay Caulkin sAyS sO oN tHe YouTube.”

The real kicker is the stuff he’s shared on Facebook that was misdiagnosed or repeat repairs from dealerships. He’ll tag Ford and a bunch of truck groups. While it probably was legit stuff it just comes off as petty. I’ve never posted and tagged Firestone Complete Auto, any chain or mom and pop shop when I’ve fixed a comeback. Mostly because you never know the whole story. Maybe the customer declined the proper repair, maybe they were warned about this issue they claim to have no knowledge of, maybe they didn’t pay for diag just showed up and said put X part on there or maybe they’re just flat out lying. I’ve seen all of those situations personally and would not want to be put on blast over social media for someone else not taking their responsibility to maintain a vehicle.

I’ve never posted and tagged Firestone Complete Auto, any chain or mom and pop shop when I’ve fixed a comeback. Mostly because you never know the whole story. .
I'm going to tell you an "F" repair my son got and it will be the whole, entire story. He and his girlfriend was driving his Jeep on a Saturday afternoon and the alternator light comes on. The only place open was an "F" store and they tell my son that BOTH the alternator and battery need replacing. The bad battery had me in doubt because I had just replaced it two months earlier. I'm 400 miles away, so I can't be there to help him out. So I tell the "F" store service advisor to replace both the battery and the alternator, but charge me the extra core charge for the battery because I want my son to put the "bad" battery in the rear of his Jeep because he is going to be taking it home with him. After the repair, my son watches them put the battery in the back of the Jeep. He goes in to pay for the services rendered (which is REALLY high, but, hey, it was on a Saturday afternoon when nobody else was open) and he gets in his Jeep to go home. When he gets home, the battery is gone. So SOMEBODY took the battery out of his Jeep between the time one of the "F" techs puts it in the back and when he gets into his Jeep to go home after he paid. Not only did I pay the extra $10 for the battery core charge, I never got the "bad" battery. :mad:That's my whole story.
Oh, on a bright note, the new alternator and battery worked fine.

I'm not a Ford guy or a truck guy so I have no horse in this race but many vehicles that have been out for 5 years now have pages of TSB's and it doesn't make them bad vehicles. TSB's are a sign the automaker is doing their job and supporting the vehicles when they are out in the real world. Even a super reliable 2017 Accord or Camry will have plenty of TSB's, and just because there is a TSB for issue X doesn't mean half the cars made will suffer from issue X.

I have /had some Fords he covered, as well as participate in Ford forums a lot so already have some ideas on the frequency of failures for topics he covers.

The issues his videos cover, that doesn't mean a large % of same/type vehicle is dropping like flies from them, rather that these are the common faults for that specific vehicle and others similar enough to be using same Ford design, and eventually most will have that issue if something else doesn't put it in the grave first.

BiL’s F150 (3.5L eB) is six years old and not a single issue - runs M1 5W30 for 5K - and gave him a bunch of XG10575’s back when GM sent the TSB on filter bypass PSI …
He has no plans to replace it …

Last edited:
I wouldn't call him a hater but recognize he's chosen to try to make money on Youtube... And how does one do that? Buy putting out good content and generating traffic. He does both. I've found a few of his how to videos to be extremely helpful. That's where I find value in his product. When it comes to his opinions, I take all of them with a grain of salt.
He can’t possibly be more annoying than Scotty Killme……

I don't own a Ford. Not really a fan of Ford. But the OP started a useless thread.......

Back