2017 Ford 150 3.5 : What a disaster

FordTeckMokoloco has a new video out on the 17 f150 gen 2 quirks to say it nicely . Good reason never to buy a redesign out of the gate . He went through the list of tsb'$ and other vehicle specific issues , it was unreal , page after page . Just a joke what Ford pushed out of the door to early to be First On Return Day . He had a 2017 in his shop and had more drips than could be imagined .

well my neighbor and friend is a Ford master mechanic and we BOTH have 2017 Ford F-150's with 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed transmissions. We both haul heavy trailers from time to time. We BOTH have had ZERO problems.....
If there were problems I think we would know!! hahaha

I have a '17 150 with almost no problems.
The oil pan has been replaced twice.... and still seeps.... does not require any oil between changes.
Its got 125k on it and I am satisfied with it.

I wouldn't call him a hater but recognize he's chosen to try to make money on Youtube... And how does one do that? Buy putting out good content and generating traffic. He does both. I've found a few of his how to videos to be extremely helpful. That's where I find value in his product. When it comes to his opinions, I take all of them with a grain of salt.

Support ford and what they have to offer please
After they screwed all those buyers of Fiestas and Focus with that Power Sh*7 transmission knowing it was unfixable and selling that garbage for years to the most budget conscious ? You know, the people who built Ford from the beginning, the common man, farmer and worker ?
And more:

That guy is the biggest Ford hater out there ever; he is not a reliable source on Ford products. There is a reason he got fired from the Ford dealer years ago. It's because he was constantly bashing their products
It's not like he's spewing hot garbage that's false or misleading. The guy always does a great job of providing supporting evidence for all of his claims.

If the problems are real, it's not bashing.

Last edited:
That guy is the biggest Ford hater out there ever; he is not a reliable source on Ford products. There is a reason he got fired from the Ford dealer years ago. It's because he was constantly bashing their products
Obviously you cannot voice any negative opinions of your employer.

But now that he is independent, he can say what he wants. Are his observations legitimate?

Are his observations legitimate?
I'd say yes. However, we do have to keep in mind that the vehicles he typically repairs are often very poorly maintained. Ford clearly allows 10,000 mile oil change intervals, using 5W-20. Those who do this are rewarded with cam phaser failures, worn out timing chains, and broken chain guides, along with worn out roller followers.

We even have a few BITOG members who had early issues. I remember posting early on that the local Ford dealer found that warranty claims stopped entirely when they switched to 10W-40 oil in these engines.

I don't have any issues with my 3 F150's. 5000mi OCI's and higher viscosity synthetics are the order of the day for these engines. 170K, 140K. A 2.7L EB made it to 465,000 miles with regular good maintenance. And yes, I run M1, 10W-40HM in my 5.4L.

I’ve been running 10-30 syn in my 2.7. Just did a change last week. It calls for 5-30. Have you noticed it’s harder to find 10-30 now? Every single 10-30 at my Walmart is a HM formulation, and I’m pretty sure I ran into that somewhere else, too. I’ve been having to mail order 10-30 penzoil platinum if I don’t want an HM version. Don’t like that. its not like 10-30 is a thick oil….!

I'd say yes. However, we do have to keep in mind that the vehicles he typically repairs are often very poorly maintained.

As is the case for everyone other big Youtube technician. I don't think FordTeckMakuloco is in a unique position where he's working on the most poorly maintained vehicles out there.

any mechanic is going to give you worst case, they only see the worst case. vehicles that are well maintained never get too him. its the same as asking a the doctor about the Rona. people only see doctors when they're very ill. people who had a flu like symptoms for a few days and got better never went to the doctor.

Back