2017 F250 ~13.6k miles Kirkland 15w40

Lot's of towing and some cold weather starts

I539287-ONLINE18580000-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That 15w40 sheared the most out of the ones you have used. Al and Fe up some from last change, were your towing miles about the same as previous fill?

Do you have the latest software flash to the ECM?

That 15w40 sheared the most out of the ones you have used. Al and Fe up some from last change, were your towing miles about the same as previous fill?

Winter vs summer? probably more fuel dilution

Probably don't have the latest flash, my truck has not been to the dealer in awhile.

Towing miles about the same, only difference is this truck saw a lot more below freezing starts as it no longer resides in FL :)

If you look at some of the previous fills even with 3%+ dilution viscosity was still mid 13s. It’s 12.7 this time with 1.2% fuel.

Looking at his UOAs in series ...

Vis ..... Fe ppm/1k
13.4 ...... 2.5
13.9 .......2.9
13.6 .......1.8
14.0 .......1.9
12.7 .......2.7
This vis in this UOA was much lower than the first two, and yet was right in line with those first two wear rates. The highest vis didn't have the lowest wear rate; though very close. Also, the highest wear rate sample came with the second highest vis value. If vis was proportional to wear, we'd see easily predicated values. But the reality is that we can't predict wear on vis because there is no correlation here whatsoever. And without correlation, you cannot have causation. Simply put, VIS IS NOT AFFECTING WEAR RATES!

My point? Vis isn't shown to matter at these durations. Wear rates will always move up and down a little; normal variation of life. Don't focus to much on the inputs; vis, FP, TBN/TAN, fuel dilution, etc. Those are interesting only in the fact that they are talking points heading to nowhere. The WEAR RATES are what matters, and they are perfectly "normal" in this UOA series.

Last edited:
Typical hard working F250.

@BeerCan — you planning to increase the OCI further towards 15k miles or what? We need an interesting UOA for a change. 😅👍🏼

Typical hard working F250.

@BeerCan — you planning to increase the OCI further towards 15k miles or what? We need an interesting UOA for a change. 😅👍🏼
I think this next change will be close to 15k :) I plan on changing in the next 2 weeks and right now I am at 13.8k so I might get there :)

Back