2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost - Castrol Edge 0W40 / Delo XSP 5W30

Hi All-

Long time reader here and I'm looking for some guidance. I purchased a 2017 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost in February. A couple of months ago it developed a cold start rattle and the VCTs were replaced under warranty. I currently have about 42k miles on it, so I am still within the 60k powertrain warranty and obviously want to maintain warranty coverage. The manual calls for 5W30 API SN. Being a turbo engine, should I look instead for something rated SN+ or SP?

I have seen a lot of people recommend Castrol Edge 0W40 for these engines but I see that it is not SN+ or SP rated. Does this matter? Does it have other ratings that supercede SN+ or is SN fine for an Ecoboost?

I am leaning towards finding a thicker 5W30 to use while still under warranty, especially since I've had engine work done under warranty already. Delo XSP 5W30 seems to fit this bill and is SN+ rated. Does anyone have experience running this oil in an Ecoboost? There's not a lot of info out there about this oil but it seems to be a good product.

I stick to an oil change interval of 4-5,000 miles. I know that may be overkill, but I view it as cheap insurance.

I know many will say "buy the cheapest oil that meets the requirements", but I am truly looking to best service and maintain my engine. I am hoping to own this truck a long time. Thanks

In both of my Ecoboost vehicles I ran Rotella T6 5w40 and they both were very happy with it. Keep in mind both vehicles were Stage 3+ tuned vehicles, one had a big turbo swap as well. All the UOA's came back just fine with this oil. Using lighter 30wt oils I would start to notice some extra noise and the shearing was unacceptable. Don't worry about warranty and your oil choice, but if it's for peace of mine you may want to try QSUD in 5w30, it sounds like it would suit your needs perfectly and it's cheap and readily available at any Walmart.

I use Castrol 0w-40. I have used it since the first OCI. My OCI are 5k miles. I have 43K on now. I have not had to use warranty for engine yet. If I do, I am not concerned about the oil choice.
2018 F150 3.5 Eco.

I am planning to use XSP 5w-30 for my next ecoboost oil change. (Currently QSUD). I too would be very interested in reviews; my reasoning is similar. If several other oils (which might be every bit as good) carried SN+ or SP markings I might use them too, but at this point Delo looks like a very good choice. Open to contrary opinions/insight, though.

BTW I am on F150 forums also, and never hear of LSPI issues with either Ecoboost in the F150.
I haven't heard of LSPI being an issue on these engines either, but I figured if using the proper oil eliminates the possibility I would go that route. If Edge 0W40 were to publish SN+ or SP I wouldn't have a problem using that oil once my warranty period is over. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 is rated SP so that could be an option down the road too. It's a little more spendy though.

My main concern with Magnatec is cold weather performance. Being in Iowa, we can get some extremely cold winter days and from what I read Magnatec may gel up a bit more than other oils.
Cold weather performance is indicated by the winter rating. Any oil with the same winter rating will perform in a similar fashion to any other oil with the same rating. Are you expecting your ambient starting temperatures to be below -35F? If not then an oil with a 5W rating will be similar to any 0W rated oil. If you are then a 0W rated oil will help.

EDGE seems to do well. Less VII's too in the 5w30 grade vs 0w40.

Cold weather performance is indicated by the winter rating. Any oil with the same winter rating will perform in a similar fashion to any other oil with the same rating. Are you expecting your ambient starting temperatures to be below -35F? If not then an oil with a 5W rating will be similar to any 0W rated oil. If you are then a 0W rated oil will help.
I'll call you out...

Try or compare Magnatec 5W-30 to a similar SOPUS Quaker State or Pennzoil syn 5W-30. Believe me... there's a marked difference at -20 degs F or colder here in the Midwest or Alaska.

Ask me how I know!

And I'm not bashing Magnatec, I run it quite often in the summertime. But based on long experience in very cold temps, it's not my choice at or near its supposed rated cold limit.

OTOH, 5W-30 SOPUS products operate quite well in very cold environs.

Last edited:
My main concern with Magnatec is cold weather performance. Being in Iowa, we can get some extremely cold winter days and from what I read Magnatec may gel up a bit more than other oils.
You have a right to be concerned about Magnatec in deep cold. Especially, if your target vehicle sits outside all the time (not garaged). I found out the hard way!

For example:

DELO® 400 XSP 5W-30: Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 6100 (a HD mixed fleet oil)
Castrol Magnatec 5W-30: Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 6010
Castrol Edge 5W-30 (U.S.):
Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5700
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30:
Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 4480 (SOPUS product)
KIRKLAND 5W30 FS: Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 4400 (Warren Distribution product)
Chevron Supreme 5W-30: Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 4200
Quaker State (QSUD) 5W-30:
Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 3800 (SOPUS product)
All D5293 viscosity values above pulled from either mfgr's product sheets or latest PQIA website data.

IMHO, I dare say those cold-crank viscosity differences are marked.

I threw in value-priced Chevron Supreme, a syn-blend, for comparison. On occasion, I've used it in my Silverado during a winter period or two. It did surprisingly well! With the above numbers, I now know why!

BTW, -30 deg C equals -22 deg F.

My best! (Grew up in Iowa!) :)

Last edited:
I'll call you out...

Try or compare Magnatec 5W-30 to a similar SOPUS Quaker State or Pennzoil syn 5W-30. Believe me... there's a marked difference at -20 degs F or colder here in the Midwest or Alaska.

Ask me how I know!

And I'm not bashing Magnatec, I run it quite often in the summertime. But based on long experience in very cold temps, it's not my choice at or near its supposed rated cold limit.

OTOH, 5W-30 SOPUS products operate quite well in very cold environs.
But that relates to cold cranking which can be mitigated by a good battery. He was asking about oil gelling which is also part of the winter rating. Any oil that has the same winter rating is guaranteed not to gel in the vicinity of the pump pickup tube down to the limit. Two different ASTM tests for two different properties.

But that relates to cold cranking which can be mitigated by a good battery. He was asking about oil gelling which is also part of the winter rating. Any oil that has the same winter rating is guaranteed not to gel in the vicinity of the pump pickup tube down to the limit. Two different ASTM tests for two different properties.

Yes. That said, a 2,000cP difference at the CCS temp is likely noticeable, particularly if said vehicle is sensitive to CCS visc. If anything, Steve's anecdote here demonstrates the reason these tests exists and why we moved away from Pour Point.

Move South.
Cold weather here is anything below 55f.

Using lighter 30wt oils I would start to notice some extra noise and the shearing was unacceptable. Don't worry about warranty and your oil choice,
Was the "extra noise" verified with any calibrated measuring equipment, or just your ear? UOA's to prove shearing?
Also, unless you're signing up to cover any possible engine failures, it's generally not kosher to tell other people not to worry about their warranties by using unapproved fluids... just sayin.

Was the "extra noise" verified with any calibrated measuring equipment, or just your ear? UOA's to prove shearing?
Also, unless you're signing up to cover any possible engine failures, it's generally not kosher to tell other people not to worry about their warranties by using unapproved fluids... just sayin.

Yes more so on the RS, it was a dedicated track car. But a UOA was done on the truck and it showed the same shearing as the RS but just not as extreme. Are you here to correct me and nit pick? Show me where a repair or warranty issue was denied due to an improper oil was used. Why come on a forum like this if folks are scared about warranty issue if they use “unapproved fluids”.

Back