2017 Diesel Chevy Cruze UOA

Hello all,
This is my first UOA with this vehicle. I have owned this since new and it has had nothing but AC Delco dexos 2 synthetic 5w30 oil in it along with the AC Delco filter. This is the 1.6 liter Ecotec engine second generation engine.

Miles on engine 37,749
Miles on oil 5,679
Aluminum 4
Chromium 2
Iron 43
Copper 3
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybedenum 2
Nickel 2
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 1
Potassium 6
Boron 3
Silicon 4
Sodium 4
Calcium 1833
Magnesium 11
Phosphorus 714
Zinc 785
Barium 0
SUS viscosity 66.8 (range 57-65) slightly elevated
cSt viscosity 12.10 (range 9.4-11.9)
Flashpoint 425 f
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water percent 0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 3.7

I may switch to pennzoil european formula in the future as I can get a better price on this oil. I also assume the slitghtly high iron could be from break in perhaps?
Let me know your opinions/thoughts. -Ponch

At 37K I'd hope the engine is done breaking in. I just did a UOA on Schaeffer's synthetic in my wife's '85 Mercedes diesel wagon with 245K - 5K on the oil - and it was 23 ppm iron.

GM's goal isn't to sell you an oil that'll make the car last forever... JM2CW.

Hi
I am surprised by the differences in moly and boron between your dexos2 and my mb229.51. These specs are often seen together on oils.
My Moly is 120 and Boron is 114.
Tikka.

The iron seems high at ~8ppm/1000 miles.
Did the lab provide average wear numbers for this engine?

In my experience, those engines aren't fully run in yet at that mileage, they tend to get more economical until about 80k miles... This could be why the iron is still high

Hopefully so. That iron number in a 1600cc engine seems... _really_ high. I don't know these engines, though.

they're basically the same engine as the older 2.0 preceeding it, smaller bore and stroke but otherwise the same. GM was first to move to aluminum casting for the block, so the cruze might have this aswell.

That much iron in 5k miles ain't a good thing.... I'd do several more UOA's and trend it. One UOA simply isn't indicative enough. I'm betting you'll find MUCH better wear numbers with the Pennzoil in the sump.

That much iron in 5k miles ain't a good thing.... I'd do several more UOA's and trend it. One UOA simply isn't indicative enough. I'm betting you'll find MUCH better wear numbers with the Pennzoil in the sump.
Thank you.. I plan to switch to the pennzoil euro then after another interval will UOA for sure.

they're basically the same engine as the older 2.0 preceeding it, smaller bore and stroke but otherwise the same. GM was first to move to aluminum casting for the block, so the cruze might have this aswell.
I believe this motor (LH7 code) is cast block still with aluminum head.

Back