2017 Civic HB 1.5T GDI - 6 Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all

Question :
I am service Manager at a Honda dealer, but honda is very uninformative when it comes to oil grade required, other then confirming it is API rated for gas engines, lol

She does all highway, 70km each way a day. Vehicle has 53,000km and is a year and a half old roughly. We have had fuel dilution issues on some 1.5T engines, hers however hasnt shown excess signs of this, likely due to highway driving and full heat cycles.

I do the oil change at 50% oil life and then at 15% with whatever Maint minder is calling for - usually 8000km between every oil change (5000miles).

I am using OEM honda filter with OEM honda bottled oil. My question is, due to GDI Turbo issues, is there a better fchoice?

Castrol 0w20 new formula for "GDI Turbo", Amsoil signature series? Any suggestions?

Vehicle also only gets Shell 91 gas with 0 ethonal and every 5000 Royal Purple Max clean DI injector treatment.

Thanks!

You would want a SN Plus oil. This Pennzoil Platinum is on sale at Canadian Tire this week.

837B8CA7-E6C5-4EC1-BDCB-1E143447ABE2.jpeg

I run Castrol 10w30 Edge FTT in my 02 WS6 Trans-Am and have always been a castrol guy.

I didnt know what if any of the AN Plus oils are best for reducing carbon build up on intake valves, or fuel dilution resistance etc

I am leaning towards Castrol Edge FTT 0w20 for her car with an OEM Honda filter at this time maintaing a 5000mi oil change interval

Almost if not all current major brand 0W-20 synthetics are SN Plus (LSPI protection) and dexos1Gen2 (LSPI etc. [see below]). With the driving style and OCI you indicate, any of the aforementioned major brand 0W-20 synthetics would work splendidly.

https://noln.net/2017/06/30/new-generation-dexos-acea-specifications/

Dexos1 Gen 2
The most current dexos1 specification (dexos1 Gen 2) was released in 2015 to provide even higher engine performance and protection, particularly low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection in small displacement turbo-charged engines.

GM has developed four new engine tests for this updated specification:

New General Motors Oxidation & Deposit Test (GMOD) verifies the improved oxidation and deposit control characteristics.
New Stochastic Pre-ignition Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and pre-ignition concerns.
New Turbocharger Deposit Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and minimizes deposit formation, which ensures optimal performance during engine life.
New Aeration Test (bubble control) ensures the air bubbles in the oil dissipate quickly to improve oil performance.

Last edited:
Thanks
smile.gif

I figure with the early OCI's I do, and her driving habits any oil would likely perform O.K, but I know the bottled Honda oil here is SM rated.. so I want to switch I just want to use something proven and good.

Any opinions on the Castrols Titanium vs the higher Moly in other oils?

Since the new d1G2 specs came out, most oils have titanium in them along with moly and boron. They are actually more similar to each other now.

It sounds like you are on top of things. I think it is prudent to change the oil every 5k and in some cases you could go 7.5k. It would depend on the fuel dilution you experience.

I agree, With her highway miles, the car would get approx : 15,000km on an oil change approx 10,000Mi - which to be is a no no on these engines. SO I always dump it and new filter at 50% - leave MM runing and do suggested maint at 15% oil life then do a reset on it.

Even in dead of winter, when no joke I seen Civic and CRV's here with 2-3cm OVER full with fuel/water dilution, hers didnt move off of the fuel mark. Still had slight fuel odor at the 5000 mi oil change, it was not heavily diluted.

SO I will feel better running rhe Castrol on her machine.

Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by blackbirdws611
Would you stick with 0w20, or any other suggestions on grade?

Normally I would suggest 5w30 but with Honda and Toyota, I always suggest the owners manual recommendation which in your case is 0w20. Opinions vary.

Use 5w30 or 0w30. Any synthetic 5w30 you find in stores will be fine with no problems.

These are what I would use:
Shell Rotella T6 5w30
Castrol Edge 0w30
Valvoline MST 5w30
PP Euro L 5w30

But again, any 5w30 syn will be fine.

Originally Posted by blackbirdws611
Last question, Im now between :
-0w20 Castrol Edge FTT
-0w20 Castrol Magnatec

Any opinons?

EDGE is a higher quality oil than Magnatec and is priced as such. If it were me, I would use Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back