2017 Camry Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the first Camry coupe came out in 1994 but went away in 07 when the new gen came out. Then in 1999 the Solara came out which was basically a Camry coupe. I almost bought one but at the time the dealer only had one four cylinder and it was dark green. Bought a silver Accord coupe instead.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've always thought Toyota should come out with a Camry coupe.

My mom had a Solara (Camry Coupe) maybe an 03. It only looked OK, and handled worse than my Accord sedan at the time.

Toyota is fine, they aren't going to win over driving enthusiasts with their mainstream offerings. That's ok because mainstream buyers aren't driving enthusiasts.

Someday I'll have the time and money for something awesome. In the meantime our appliance cars save us a lot of headaches.

After a headgasket let go on my Mom's Ford Taurus just past 100k, which was the final straw in a long list of failures and major repairs on that car, I bought her a Camry.

Maintenance remained the same as with the Taurus, which is to say by the book. In stark contrast, ZERO repairs have been required on the Camry.

She recently stopped driving, so now I have it. It looks and drives like a new car, despite being 15 years old. I'll keep it to take her for rides in it, and probably for sentimental reasons.

No, it's not a performance car, I already have a couple of performance cars when I want power and handling. But for what it was designed to be, which is a quiet, comfortable, and reliable four-door sedan, it excels.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
No, it's not a performance car, I already have a couple of performance cars when I want power and handling. But for what it was designed to be, which is a quiet, comfortable, and reliable four-door sedan, it excels.

It's a great highway car for sure. You can arrive at destination all refreshed and energized. Even after a long trip. Did a 7.5 hour drive last week on the PA turnpike and arrived not worse for wear. Kind of like the new day Crown Vic but gets much better mileage.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Nobody mentioned that all Toyotas except for the bottom Corolla (and that was intel from last year) have a CVT.
Those things are mushy and the industry is still learning how to program them.
Rental cars are often used to test software and hardware.
A rental car may have limiting software as a matter of course.

A reasonably economical grocery getter being criticized for being gutless? C'mon now! You expected it to drive like your Ferrari?
Whatever you're smokin'....I don't want any....makes you have unrealistic demands.

I gotta agree that the Mazda designers are addressing the void for sportier feeling cars.

Blind loyalty to cars, you say? Ohh, like Americans who's Honda transmissions blew up going out and buying more Hondas?

Did they really switch to CVTs? That's disappointing. Inevitable I guess.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've always thought Toyota should come out with a Camry coupe.

Toyota made 2 door camrys for a long time. They also made the Solara. Keep up.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Tdog02
Its a spare/commuter car now and is still peppy and well matched to the 6 speed transmission. Without even trying I routinely get 29-30mpg. The only thing replaced so far is tires, battery, front brake pads.

This thing drives on whatever gas you put in it without hesitation. Its had 0-20 synthetic for every mile. I replaced the spark plugs at around 90k something and honestly I couldn't see any wear on the ones I took out. If you need reliable transportation it will deliver. I agree it is not a sports car and won't turn any heads but it does what it does very well.

+1, same here with the 2012 Camry purchased new. Car runs like a top, very smooth and can get going quick when needed. As someone else on here has said, it seems like it has a small V6 in it. And that was from someone who doesn't own any Toyotas.

Still has original battery, new General RT43s, new rear brake pads but only because a rear caliper started to stick. No issues other than that but this car lives in the rust belt. Put a new Napa reman caliper on per Trav's recommendation. The cost was $88 after I returned the core. Put a new hose on as well from Rockauto for $23. A shop did the install and they put on some Wagner OEX pads.

I don't come on here bashing other brands. Buy what you like and keep the negativity inside. Nothing good comes from it.

We had to have:
-OEM tires bald after 30k
-the parking brake handle tightened (loose somehow, like the pull was falling off the car), at 35k.
-replacement OEM bald after 30k (ran to 40k? something like that). RT43's go about 40k but work excellent.
-rear pads at 55k. One stuck as I was letting dealer service car (and they never grease brakes). Other three barely worn.
-change trans fluid, 60k and 100k? Has bad 2nd gear syncro, from day 1. Redline MT90 works good in summer but too thick for winter.
frown.gif
Redline MTL ok compromise.
-rear pads and rotors at 100k, as the cheapie pads started to delam. Lesson learned.
-Some intake resonator fell off around this point. Simple fix (push back in).
-battery at 5 year mark.
-serpentine belts and plugs at 120k. Let a garage do the belts, looked painful.
-bunch of bulbs at 130k.
-front pads and rotors at 140k, as a pad was starting to delam. Barely worn. I guess they are six years old, after all.

Nothing else. Uses half quart, maybe full quart over 10kmiles. But all cars perform this way today, if not better. I'll expect more next time. Err, less work that is, from whatever car I buy. The car of course is boring, does nothing really well. Low to mid 30's for mpg in mixed driving.

Originally Posted By: kam327

You seem to suggest that excellent driving dynamics and 4-cylinder normally aspirated cars are mutually exclusive. My Mazda6 and the Focus w/ Handling Package before it prove you wrong in my eyes. Cars don't have to be FAST to have good dynamics and be fun to drive. The Mazda's low-7-second 0-60 is plenty fast for everyday driving, all while averaging over 30 mpg in mixed commuting traffic.

I see your point. However, I would counter with the fact that normally aspirated, 4 cylinder full sized cars are universally down on power/torque in the lower to mid RPM range. I find some of them annoying beyond belief when driving a loaded car, up in the North East, or in mountainous terrain. I rent sedans every week for work. Mazda cars are more fun.

One of the worst ones was the Impala, with passengers/bags with the normally aspirated 4. Less than 200HP at 6300RPM. The engine was screaming at high RPM up every hill, yet losing speed, during my 7 hour drive. Not only was the engine incapable, the suspension was too.

The Camry, for what it's worth, behaves quite well, when loaded. And with less HP, is a full second and a half faster to 60MPH.

It doesn't matter what the"arm chair reviewers" like or don't like about any particular vehicle. The Camry sells more than the Fusion and certainly the Mazda 6.

If it's an appliance type sedan, a Hyundai, or a Subaru the amateurs are not going to give it a decent review-and it doesn't matter anyway.

Could just as easily be a Honda Accord automatic. Not a lot of difference.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Couch on wheels that does 0-60 in 6s so idiots can feel safe while merging.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Did they really switch to CVTs? That's disappointing. Inevitable I guess.

I think he or she was talking about the Corolla. The current year Camry has a six speed automatic. The new one will have an eight speed auto.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2018-toyota-camry/preview/

Right!
The only Toyota's using the CVT are their Hybrid drivetrains in all models & Corolla/iM. The Yaris(Toyota's version) may now use the CVT as compared to its antiquated 4spd auto but, I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: CKN
It doesn't matter what the"arm chair reviewers" like or don't like about any particular vehicle. The Camry sells more than the Fusion and certainly the Mazda 6.

If it's an appliance type sedan, a Hyundai, or a Subaru the amateurs are not going to give it a decent review-and it doesn't matter anyway.

Not to bash the Camry but the road noise was almost distracting and the jolt one get from small sharp edged bumps was far more than I expected from a NEW car.
The only thing this "arm chair reviewer" can take from this rental is that the Camry will not be on my to buy list. It got me from point to point, not in comfort nor did it leave me with a smile on my face. YMMV

Our subaru have been MUCH MUCH more reliable then our Toyotas.

We had a 2001 Lexus ES300 in the family and that drove like carp too. It Had horrible hesitation and the rear suspension bottomed and kicked. Again, poor "Car-ness". Car-ness was alive and well in the mid sixties across many brands in the upper echelons.

Then Fiat in the 70's. 124 and the lowly 128 were great fun. That's why I owned a Zastava 126 when they sold them here.

Then Chevy in the 80s. The Citaion x-11 and the Camaro were nice drives.

in the mid 90's Buick LeSabre and Ford Crown Vic were two standouts for the everyman car. Even the lowly The Ford Contour was a good driver when it wasn't falling apart.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Could just as easily be a Honda Accord automatic. Not a lot of difference.

+1, Plus the Accord 4cyl comes with a CVT transmission. The V6 has a 6 speed auto but has a timing belt that needs to be changed. The person you replied to has an Accord hybrid which is a 4 cylinder. I think he paid about $27k for it which is up there. I test drove one last year and it was so-so esp with the CVT.

Both Honda Accord and Mazda 6 have MT options. They are a lot more fun, just as reliable, and virtually immune from theft.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NO2
Both Honda Accord and Mazda 6 have MT options. They are a lot more fun, just as reliable, and virtually immune from theft.

Yep-if you are not worried about resale value buy a Mazda....better yet buy one with a manual transmission. Not even the thieves want them......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back