2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0T - Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP

Dealer put in M1 LV ATF HP on the last service when I mentioned a mild shudder at low rpms. Apparently there was a TSB for it.

The car has 72,000KM, with maybe 500 on the new fluid. I wish this car came with this fluid from factory. Smoother, sometimes unnoticeable shifts. The abruptness of this GM 8 speed is now tamed making this car feel better than new. Low speed acceleration is effortless and "electric car" like.

I was considering swapping the car out, but I'm really enjoying it again after the trans fluid change, and the new carbon/ceramic pads and vented rotors. I don't recall the car being this smooth in it's 72K KM life.

I've been busy with life, and haven't posted much. But thought this would be an appropriate check in :)

Amazing how much I used to over maintain my cars in the past... here I am three years later with my ATS looking at the service schedule :p

Looking at the manual it appears I have a transfer case (AWD) and a rear diff to address at some point too. Cadillac says 240,000KM for a non LSD diff!!

I recall the days of owning the Subaru where I was swapping out the rear diff every spring.. never had diff issues though!

Looking for fluid recommendations because I've been gone so long I forgot how to think for myself 😁

Rear Diff: DEXRON MTF 75W-90
Transfer Case: GM Part No. 88861950, in Canada 88861951

What are the BITOG'er suggestions?!

I'm using the M1 LV HP atf in my 2017 Ford Fusion, and the shifting has improved up and down. I can only get 3.5 qts out with each D&F. I order the M1 LV fluid from my local O'Reilly's, and it comes in a 6 qt box usually the next day.

I'm using the M1 LV HP atf in my 2017 Ford Fusion, and the shifting has improved up and down. I can only get 3.5 qts out with each D&F. I order the M1 LV fluid from my local O'Reilly's, and it comes in a 6 qt box usually the next day.
Do you have any recommendations on the rear diff and transfer case fluid?

Due to the inability to get M1 products shipped to my door, I'm considering RedLine or Amsoil for the 75w90 diff fluid. For the transfer case, there does not appear to be any option other than the GM option from the dealer.

Congrats to GM and your dealership for adhering to the new spec fluid! It is just amazing how much more enjoyable a vehicle can be when it has a proper shifting transmission.
Had a similar issue with a 2014 MB 7 speed, very poor performance. Traded that in for a 2018 9 speed, outstanding! Can't feel the shifts in normal driving, always in the proper gear, just fantastic. It just makes a car SO much better.

Looking at the work order, they used 20 quarts! I found the TSB and it appears that was a full flush and replace with their new fancy fluid replacement tool.. the TSB specifically mentions needing 16-20 quarts for the fluid swap. Dealer said they wanted $40 a quart... so that’s $800CDN in fluid alone 🤑

I did find it on Amazon for about $22 each. Might start a dump and fill routine which takes about 6 quarts.
I want to do the diff before winter. Anyone have a fav other than the obvious? Local parts stores also have Amsoil, RedLine, Motomaster (Canadian Tire brand) and a few other 75w90 gear oils. Not sure if they are all GL-5.

Or is this one of those “it doesn’t really matter” questions..

I went with the GM specific fluids for both the transfer case and the rear diff. That way they have a record of it when/if I have a service visit.

Here's a pick of each of the fluids for reference:

And here is the response I got from M1 which surprised me:

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the e-mail and for your interest in Mobil lubricants.

Unfortunately our Mobil 1™ Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-90 is NOT approved for your Cadillac’s rear differential.

Your Cadillac takes a dealer specific product.

Regards,

Matthew R. Evans
Americas Technical Help Desk
ExxonMobil Lubricants Technology

1 year later the transmission shifts perfectly, and still no shudder. Very pleased with this fluid.

Back