2017 Acura MDX - Mobil 1 EP 0W-20

Bought the vehicle new and this is the first oil analysis done on it. Used Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 and a Fram XG7317. Only put 5800 miles on it because 1) Oil reminder was at 5% and 2) wanted to gauge how this oil would hold up in longer intervals.

Have 27,500 miles on the odometer.
50FE8B09-C3CD-4D6E-B487-9208B06FFC67.jpeg
Driving is mostly rural with a minimal amount of idling. No oil or gas additives used during this interval. Have used fuel injector cleaner once about 2 years ago as a preventative only.A56BB258-4AA6-4090-AB1E-8EA588F6E6F1.jpeg

I'd suspect the engine has bi-metal bearings, so I doubt it is bearing material (the copper). Could be from a sealant? With so few miles on it, it is possible something is still leeching.

Interesting, I am planning on using the same oil and filter in a 2021 Honda Passport with the same engine. I am surprised that you got to less than 6000 miles before the maintenance minder got down to 5%. Has this oil gotten worse or what?

Interesting, I am planning on using the same oil and filter in a 2021 Honda Passport with the same engine. I am surprised that you got to less than 6000 miles before the maintenance minder got down to 5%. Has this oil gotten worse or what?
Maintenance minder probably would have been close to that number whatever oil and filter was used since most minder algorithms are milage, heat cycle, RPM’s based and not based on oil degradation. As far as the oil goes, I was quite surprised as this oil, especially since EP and Annual Protection forms are supposedly very stout formulas.

I did identically replace the oil and filter when I took the sample for Blackstone so I’m thinking I will submit a sample again at the next oil change as indicated by the minder.

Last edited:
I did identically replace the oil and filter when I took the sample for Blackstone so I’m thinking I will submit a sample again at the next oil change as indicated by the minder.

I would be very appreciative and interested in seeing those results. I too plan on using the same oil and filter for two consecutive intervals..

The KV100 looks like it sheared to 6.73 cSt and yet Blackstone says to increase the OCI because TBN is good.
Thought the same as well to the point of wondering whether to go to a 5W-30 but since the minder was down to 5% and the oil was still serviceable, though most assuredly on it’s way to being depleted from a service standpoint, I’ll let the minder tell me when to change and have it tested as stated above. MMT stated it may be a leaking HPFP so I need to read up on that possibility and determine how to test for that or have the dealer do it.

What? The engine has no idea what oil was used and it doesn't measure anything directly with respect to the oil - just the operating conditions as a guesstimate of oil condition.

What? The engine has no idea what oil was used and it doesn't measure anything directly with respect to the oil - just the operating conditions as a guesstimate of oil condition.

Okay, thanks I guess. I apologize for not spelling out every elaborate detail in the question I'm attempting to ask.

I am approaching this from the perspective that I have seen multiple UOA reports for this specific engine in multiple different vehicles in which this same oil was used and often times the exact same filter was used as well. In those other instances it seems that Honda's maintenance minder did not get down to 5% until perhaps 9000 miles or so.

So my question is, why is it in this case did the MM get down to 5% before 6000 miles when commonly the MM does not get down to 5% until several thousand miles later with the same engine using the same oil in other cases? Perhaps it's operating conditions, perhaps it's the oil... I just thought I would ask for more perspective.

HAVE A NICE DAY 🥴

Back