2017 Accord Sport Super tech 5w20 conv 6304 miles

2017 Honda Accord Sport SE. 6304 mile oci on Super tech conventional 5W20. Oil filter was Mobil 1 M-110 that had a previous run on it, the filter had a little over 12000 miles on it. Refilled with Castrol Edge EP 5W30 because that is what i had on hand and a Fram Ultra XG7137 filter. Oil was in use for a little over 6 months, March-September in Massachusetts

Attachments

• 2017 Sport.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Wear "looks acceptable," but the viscosity is at a 16wt level. Is this something you are comfortable with?

are you able to open the pdf file? I'm having trouble trying to get it to post. I haven't had a computer in years, last one I had used Windows xp. Getting used to Windows 10

Wear "looks acceptable," but the viscosity is at a 16wt level. Is this something you are comfortable with?
When I change out the egde ep in the summer I will probably just stick with Pennzoil conventional or super tech 5W30 year round with 6 month oci,s. I would be comfortable with 10K oci,s I just enjoy changing oil and tinkering with the cars to much to go 10K mile intervals.

I meant to add that the oil life monitor was at 50% when I changed it, I wanted to run it down to 0 but did not know how long that would have taken, I did not want to be changing my oil in the middle of winter. And i guess judging by the TBN it might have been a bad idea anyway to go to around 0% left. Although I don't know how fast tbn drops

Pretty typical given the fuel dilution common in this engine. Seems harmless under normal driving conditions.

I think it would be worth the additional $2 for Supertech synthetic
I ran 5w20 ST syn in my wife’s 2015 Altima for 7,195 miles, A little over 8 months. I wish I had taken a sample on that to send in just to see how that was doing. I would guess it would have been ok as well. She goes to her mothers house several times a week and it’s a little over 25 miles each way 95% highway.
-I refilled her Altima with the same oil and will test it after this run, car has just over 59K

How could your report be any better? It can't. After all one primary reason for a UOA is wear metals and they are as low as possible no matter what oil you are using. Fantastic, thanks for the report.
Thank you. I’m about 99% sure after this run of Edge EP I’m going to switch to PYB and a fram ultra and just go with 5000-6000 mile intervals and swap out the filter every third oil change and stick with that for good

^^^ It would be great to see if after trying another oil if a UOA will be good as the Conventional Super Tech.
We will find out, but is gonna be about a year till I get around to it. I’ve only got about 250 miles on the Edge I just put in there, I’m half tempted to drain it out and put it back in the jug and save it for later and put the PYB in and run that cause I’m curious now 😳

are you able to open the pdf file? I'm having trouble trying to get it to post. I haven't had a computer in years, last one I had used Windows xp. Getting used to Windows 10
Click on the attachment and then look at the left hand corner of the screen to click and open the file.

If comfortable with the cSt @ 100°, the wear numbers are excellent at this interval. I've seen much worse wear in some UOA where the oil actually stayed in grade during a shorter OCI.

Unless you track the car or drive like a hooligan on public roads, I find this perfectly acceptable.

For those who can't open the file...

Screenshot_20201117-041122_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Wemay, thanks for that.
It is just my daily driver. 99% of the time I’m in the right hand lane with my cruise set at 65mph on the highway. If I really need to be somewhere I may bump it up to 75.
It is 15.5 miles to work, 15.5 miles home. Every so often I will have a 40 mile trip each way to some stores

Back