2017.5 Harley Davidson Road King Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley Davidson Road King Special

17-hd-road-king-special-1-large@x2.jpg

17-hd-road-king-special-7-large@x2.jpg

17-hd-road-king-special-2-large@x2.jpg

looks nice but i am Victory-ious! M8 is finally an engine as fast as a Vic 106, no cool aid for me, had one that was enough!!

I never can seem to get excited about baggers. But I am eager to see how the new engines perform in the hands of customers. Like that green color though...kind of an olive green metallic.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I never can seem to get excited about baggers. But I am eager to see how the new engines perform in the hands of customers. Like that green color though...kind of an olive green metallic.

I've had the opportunity to ride most of the Lineup powered by the new M8 engine. It's a definite improvement. If a Harley is what someone wants, they should be happy.

I like the “Hard Candy Hot Rod Red”

Never really been a fan of extended bags though.

This one has the rear emulsion shocks and new (Cartridge?) forks.

The M8 is currently only available in the touring models. Hopefully the M8 will be available for the rest of the lineup within a couple of years. After all the problems with the cam shoes/chains on the TC engines, I was disappointed the MOCO didn't go with the gear driven cam system. Even my old EVO had the gear drive timing system. IDK...probably saved them a few dollars per unit.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Pass on beta-testing the new engine.

Yeah, me too. There have been some issues in the forums for some but all in all, its been a pretty good roll out for HD, EXCEPT if your one of the few with issues. beta-testing is the right word, as issues crop up with those few, they work on solutions and then need the local dealer mechanics to learn and work on the solutions. Not that this doesnt occur with any new product but I pass too.

Also a bit more common with the M8 is certain amount confirm a engine vibration around 3000 rpm or so, not everyone. Some say its over tightened exhaust transmitting it, I havent really followed it except to know some report it. All I know my 14RK is truly silky smooth anything above dead idle which is like a jumping bean but above idle, no matter what I do and what speed and what RPM there is never a vibration so if I went for the 17 and got stuck with one that has this vibration some talk about, even a little, I would freak out. *L*
I never rode a 17 so only commenting on stuff in hd forums that I read. One thing they all say, the torque is amazing, yet with the lightest of the bunch (Road King) I guess I dont feel I would need it vs maybe the Street or Road Glide.
I ride the interstate all the time (GPS 75+, most times two up, sometimes with luggage, to the beach or the mountains, 14 RK never breaks a sweat. Maybe in a couple years if I get the itch, the time will be right, but not yet.

Im a fan of the green, looks the same or similar color green from previous years. I never have been a fan of the blacked out look. Maybe better said, the bike looks cool but its not for me, just dont like all that paint where chrome is normally, I could be wrong but to me looks like it will certainly show chips, marks and scratches more easy. Also visibility is less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
The M8 is currently only available in the touring models. Hopefully the M8 will be available for the rest of the lineup within a couple of years. After all the problems with the cam shoes/chains on the TC engines, I was disappointed the MOCO didn't go with the gear driven cam system. Even my old EVO had the gear drive timing system. IDK...probably saved them a few dollars per unit.

They can't go back to gear cams because they make noise....and noise is pollution now. If you went with gear drive cams you would have to make the bike quieter somewhere else...like the exhaust.

I wanna sell my Sporty one day and get an RK ... Prolly a 2004~6 or somewhere like that. I'll take all the bags I can get to carry all our stuff.

Love RK's. Rent when we go more than a ways from home
grin.gif

RK's are a good value bike, be sure to research the issues for the model year you decide on!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back