2017-2019 Toyotas: what OCI do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ejes
Though they won't admit it (some don't even understand it), the vast majority of people qualify for the "severe conditions" driving OCI's. As such, I do 5k OCI's on all my vehicles. I don't trust the generic car computer algorithms, etc. To me "mostly highway" is at least 51%. Personally, if I'm being honest with myself, I never come close to 51% highway, and anything less than that is severe duty. To each his own however...

There are so many shades of gray here. I do few "highway miles" but I'm also not doing stop and go city miles either. I'm gently cruising at 35-50 mph on back roads with little stop and go besides the occasional stop light or stop sign. Are those city or highway miles as far as wear and tear on the engine? I'd argue they should count towards "highway miles" even though I rarely go on the highway. How many stops before it counts towards city miles? What about my friends who commute into Boston every day? They are on the highway and usually in constant stop and go traffic for 20-30 miles and 1-1.5 hours? Perhaps, but the other 20-30 miles of their commute are "easy" highway miles cruising at 70mph and on the weekend they are driving the gentle backroads in town.

When I think "severe" I think of NYC cabs or Police cruisers that are starting and stopping constantly and when they aren't they are sitting there idling or work trucks that are constantly loaded and/or towing. I'd argue "most" people outside of major cities who do not use their vehicles for work or who do a lot of heavy towing or idling do not fall into the "severe conditions" OCI.

Last edited:
I have been running 10000 oil change intervals on all my Toyota's since 2003. I have four vehicles to maintain and we keep the vehicles as long as possible. The simple formula for Toyota engines is Mobil 1 at 10000 miles or 12 months. If you are running dealer bulk oil you may want to consider changing sooner.

Originally Posted by NH73
I have a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and been following the 10k OCI. Any reason I shouldn't? Other than the severe service schedule?

After changing the oil and accumulating around 300 miles in a week or two afterwards, if your new oil already turned black on the dipstick - instead of witnessing a clear dipstick, well that's a very good reason your 10K OCI is too long.

My dipsticks remain clear after 1K of an oil change...... even 16 years later.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I have a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and been following the 10k OCI. Any reason I shouldn't? Other than the severe service schedule?

After changing the oil and accumulating around 300 miles in a week or two afterwards, if your new oil already turned black on the dipstick - instead of witnessing a clear dipstick, well that's a very good reason your 10K OCI is too long.

The holy trinity of recommendations - arbitrary, subjective and anecdotal.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

In better words, it's the Holy Grail used by folks that are first and last owner of it.
Oil is cheap and our rides deserve to be kept clean and preserved well..

Originally Posted by Amkeer
I have been running 10000 oil change intervals on all my Toyota's since 2003. I have four vehicles to maintain and we keep the vehicles as long as possible. The simple formula for Toyota engines is Mobil 1 at 10000 miles or 12 months. If you are running dealer bulk oil you may want to consider changing sooner.
If you know what the dealer bulk oil is, its fine running 10k oci. Toyota doesn't have complicated requirements for oil. GF-5 0w20. Or for the newer ones, 0w16 SN+. Pretty simple. If you stick to that, you should be able to do it. I however, just stick to a full synthetic.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Color of oil. Really?

Really.
How you use the oil (driving habits) and how you maintain the engine, describes / defines "really".

Ow20 is pretty stout. My 14 sienna has been on 10koci and OEM filter since new. 100kmiles now. Doesn't burn a drop.

Oil looks like pancake "maple" syrup at 5k. Dark molasses at 10k but still clear. Not inky opaque black.

When I compare the thickness of the oil to the new oil I poured in. Its always very close to the same. Not overly watery.

This is my Danez_yotastone oil analysis.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Blackstone (and all oil testers) don't test used (or new) oil by their "color" or how "clear" they are.

Your rational and logical opinions will changes no minds on BITOG! Between those who think they can hear or see the difference between oils this place is the antithesis of the scientific method! Drawing deep and meaningful conclusions from simple untested observation brought us witch hunts, religion, flag earthers, the earth being the center of the solar system, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
We have a 2010 Prius with 176K miles and a 2017 Prius V with 23K miles. They aren't in the signature since I don't service them. The older one has been running 10K OCIs for four years now. The newer one is starting in on 10K OCIs now that the initial Toyotacare period has passed. Toyota seems to be very conservative in their recommendations, so I wouldn't sweat a 10K OCI unless you fall into that severe service class.

You sir, win comment of the day

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
2019 Lexus UX 250h F-Sport.
7.5k mile OCI.
15k mile OFCI.
Pennzoil Hybrid 0W16.
75% highway.
But my driving is somewhat severe service.

I'm doing 0w16 on my 2019 camry as well. Mobil 1. Could you tell any difference from the factory to the pennzoil? Likely not although some say they can.

Originally Posted by ejes
Though they won't admit it (some don't even understand it), the vast majority of people qualify for the "severe conditions" driving OCI's. As such, I do 5k OCI's on all my vehicles. I don't trust the generic car computer algorithms, etc. To me "mostly highway" is at least 51%. Personally, if I'm being honest with myself, I never come close to 51% highway, and anything less than that is severe duty. To each his own however...

There are so many shades of gray here. I do few "highway miles" but I'm also not doing stop and go city miles either. I'm gently cruising at 35-50 mph on back roads with little stop and go besides the occasional stop light or stop sign. Are those city or highway miles as far as wear and tear on the engine? I'd argue they should count towards "highway miles" even though I rarely go on the highway. How many stops before it counts towards city miles? What about my friends who commute into Boston every day? They are on the highway and usually in constant stop and go traffic for 20-30 miles and 1-1.5 hours? Perhaps, but the other 20-30 miles of their commute are "easy" highway miles cruising at 70mph and on the weekend they are driving the gentle backroads in town.

When I think "severe" I think of NYC cabs or Police cruisers that are starting and stopping constantly and when they aren't they are sitting there idling or work trucks that are constantly loaded and/or towing. I'd argue "most" people outside of major cities who do not use their vehicles for work or who do a lot of heavy towing or idling do not fall into the "severe conditions" OCI.

You live in Mass? You're doing severe driving everyday right now if you wake up, start the car and drive to work. Since the end of November I'd say the morning temperatures have been bellow freezing 80% of the time, with temps bellow 15 several times. New England weather is a nightmare. Cold starts, longer warm up times. Even if you have a garage, doesn't matter all that much after your car is sitting out there freezing at work all day and you get in and start it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back