2016 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L supertech

Originally Posted by Gene K
I think some people are addicted to "That's not the way I would do it so it's not right".

It's not 10,000 mi like Toyota 0W-20.
Well it isn't Toyota 0W-20.

Oil Life Monitor / Timer goes off at 5,000 mi so ignore it. What happened to follow the OLM?

The short change is causing excessive wear.
I see that. Looks catastrophic based on that UOA.

Off-Road Use with oversized tires and 4.88 gears may not have been considered part of the 10,000 mi Toyota recommended OCI.

Except for the TBN the oil is within VOA parameters. I don't know what else you guys can ask for. Does the oil have another 3,000 and possibly 5,000 in it? Most likely. Another alternative would be to use conventional SuperTech for 5,000 mi changes but really with a $2.00 per 5 qt difference in price is it really a huge deal?

If I had posted the exact same results with a 3.5 Ecoboost I doubt a single person would have said run it 10,000 mi like Ford recommends and ignore the OLM if it goes off earlier.

Couldn't agree more. I don't know why people are complaining about "wasting oil". Lol.

I also don't buy the frequent oil changes causing wear. ...†...‚

I've been doing 3k oil changes on my last 3 performance engines and the UOA results are AMAZING, considering how much abuse those engines got. You guys are crazy to say otherwise and any testing or "proof" is flawed in my opinion.

Sure if you keep drying starting the engine after an OC with an empty oil filter, a cold engine and taking it for a spin right after, yea, there will be extra wear. But if done correctly, there ain't a chance in [censored] that New oil is WORSE then old oil. 🤨...’🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸

I have a 2006 Tacoma 2.7 (sig) and it's exactly what I want and need. I go camping and dirt biking, help people move, haul firewood, haul random junk for work, some other odd errands, mostly light usage (my commuter). I think people just need to be realistic about what they expect from their vehicles. I've hauled plenty in this truck and it's never complained. Sure you gotta spin the RPMs if you want to go fast or go uphill, but that's what these engines do best. It's got 163k miles and doesn't consume or leak any oil at all, and the oil doesn't even start getting dark on the stick until about 4k after a change. That's pretty good if you ask me. No rust on the chassis either... I'm expecting to get at least 300k out of this thing. First Toyota I've ever had and I love the reliability, simplicity and efficiency... and the build quality (NUMI, Fremont CA).

Originally Posted by DGXR
I have a 2006 Tacoma 2.7 (sig) and it's exactly what I want and need. I go camping and dirt biking, help people move, haul firewood, haul random junk for work, some other odd errands, mostly light usage (my commuter). I think people just need to be realistic about what they expect from their vehicles. I've hauled plenty in this truck and it's never complained. Sure you gotta spin the RPMs if you want to go fast or go uphill, but that's what these engines do best. It's got 163k miles and doesn't consume or leak any oil at all, and the oil doesn't even start getting dark on the stick until about 4k after a change. That's pretty good if you ask me. No rust on the chassis either... I'm expecting to get at least 300k out of this thing. First Toyota I've ever had and I love the reliability, simplicity and efficiency... and the build quality (NUMI, Fremont CA).
My old, now my sons 2006 Toyota truck has rust not that he lives in Logan Utah.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
So if this UOA is based on 50% of the OCI, should we really be surprised with the results? After all it is an approved lubricant.

We shouldn't be surprised, unfortunately there are a lot of people here that continue to think Warren synthetics aren't on par with the big names. I think Supertech synthetics are great oils at great prices.

When we used to have more truly knowledgeable people on here. Both Tribologists and Engineers I don't remember a single one who was critical of WPP as a blender.

They all said used within their limitations they were excellent products. The only thing I remember them trying to dissuade was over extending the OCI or using ST Syn 5W-30 in a car that called for a 3.5 HTHS minimum.

Mobil 1 was more capable of 15,000 mi OCI than ST Syn. That was really the only functional difference I remember being alluded to.

Back