2016 Toyota 4Runner Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends. Today I picked up a 2016 4Runner SR5 Premium 4.X.4 and want to get your thoughts on when to replace the Factory Fill?

Vehicle currently has 85 miles in the ODO and when I checked the dip stick when I got home there was a small amount of fine metal shavings (gray in color) on my dip stick when I wiped it clean. It's brand new and the truck is beautiful, however need this truck to last us 10+ years. Thanks for the perspective everyone.

Almost forgot, I have plenty of Mobil 1 EP 0W20 in my stash,which is what I will run for the first 3 or 4 changes. Sump takes 6.7 quarts per OCI.

Its brand new. Look at your owners manual and change it when it says with what it says. No need to ask the peanut gallery.

Congrats on the new vehicle! If it's like other Toyotas, it will run a very long time problem free. I usually go 5,000 miles on a first oil change in my vehicles, mostly Fords, and have had great luck. You don't want to change it too early and risk having break-in material still in the oil after your first change.
There are many here that change oil very early and multiple times during the first 5,000 miles, but I believe it's overkill. By all means do what makes you comfortable though.
Use oil that is specified in the owners manual and just enjoy it..
Those Toyotas are great machines!

4.0 V6? My mom has a 2015 with this engine and IMO, the owners manual is rather vague.

0w20 for 10k intnervals. 5w20 can be used, but a 0w20 must be used next time. If the truck is used for towing, you can "go up" a weight? Not sure if that means 0w30 or 5w30? I believe this engine needs synthetic.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Its brand new. Look at your owners manual and change it when it says with what it says. No need to ask the peanut gallery.

+1

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Friends. Today I picked up a 2016 4Runner SR5 Premium 4.X.4 and want to get your thoughts on when to replace the Factory Fill?

Vehicle currently has 85 miles in the ODO and when I checked the dip stick when I got home there was a small amount of fine metal shavings (gray in color) on my dip stick when I wiped it clean. It's brand new and the truck is beautiful, however need this truck to last us 10+ years. Thanks for the perspective everyone.

Almost forgot, I have plenty of Mobil 1 EP 0W20 in my stash,which is what I will run for the first 3 or 4 changes. Sump takes 6.7 quarts per OCI.

Another vehicle supplied WITHOUT an OEM owners manual.

Call the dealer after you get your manual please look up the OEM recommendation and post the answer.

Last edited:
That truck will run for ten years no matter what oil you put in it!

I've rented a 2015 4Runner and really liked it.

Great choice on the new truck. Congrats!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Don't baby it and let it see few WOTs mixed with some engine braking (once it's at full operating temp of course). The sooner you do it the better.

Well, you wont find that advice in the owners manual!

I changed my new Toyota oil at 1,600 / 10,000 / 20,000 / etc...

The factory fill had a very metallic appearance while draining at 1,600

Nice choice with the 4 runner

I have had a 2010 4 runner and still have my 2010 FJ with this engine.

I never changed the oil early, just run it a year or 10k whatever comes first.and used the dealership provided oil changes until the program ran out. This is a great engine.
My FJ is paid off and I plan on keeping it forever. I do not regret just running it on factory intervals since new, usually I only put on 5-6k miles a year on it though. Currently filled with M1 0w20 AFE.

My wife regrets trading the 4 runner in..it is a trouble free true truck based suv, you will be served well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Don't baby it and let it see few WOTs mixed with some engine braking (once it's at full operating temp of course). The sooner you do it the better.

Well, you wont find that advice in the owners manual!

I changed my new Toyota oil at 1,600 / 10,000 / 20,000 / etc...

The factory fill had a very metallic appearance while draining at 1,600

Neither is changing that factory fill at 1600 miles.

Interestingly enough, the WOT is mentioned in my Dodge owner's manual. Besides it is a well known and a proven fact that a harder break in is far more beneficial than a very easy one, at least from future oil consumption point of view. Many new cars today, including Toyota, do suffer from early and excessive oil consumption.

From litigation perspective, manufacturers would rather deal with the excessive oil consumption, hence their ridiculously high consumption rates regarded as normal, than deal with accidents caused by stupid people going WOT because the manual told them to. I guess Chrysler found a happy medium with careful wording.

Good choice on the 4Runner. I've got the identical truck but the 2015 model year.
I've changed the oil several times in 16k miles, and currently run 5w-30 for summer because I tow a small fiberglass travel trailer. The manual states 0w-20 in most cases, but it seems to like it all. I've run PP and M1 EP and at least for now have settled on SynPower because it was on special and seems quieter on start up.
You'll probably love everything about your 4Runner - except changing the oil.
It's a wrestling match with three skid plates and a messy cartridge filter. Good luck and enjoy!

I used to do the Noria 100 mi, 1500 mi and 3000 mi break in oci. Now I usually just do the first one at half normal oci.

The truth is their is no real evidence to prove early break in oci is needed on most modern automobiles. Do what let's you sleep at night.

Remember the regimen described by Noria is just a recommendation by the author and is not backed up by any technical data.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
I used to do the Noria 100 mi, 1500 mi and 3000 mi break in oci. Now I usually just do the first one at half normal oci.

The truth is their is no real evidence to prove early break in oci is needed on most modern automobiles. Do what let's you sleep at night.

i changed of the FF oil in my malibu around 4.2k and had a lot of metal shavings. did its first O/C with some PP, and just did another one with some mobil1 AFE 0W20. second one had less metal shavings i could see. the manuel does not say when to change the oil for its first time but it does say not to stay at a constant load for the first 500 miles. the O/C interval on my malibu is 1YR or follow OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back