2016 Town and Country transmission whine

Ok so all of a sudden, well a week after a 700 mile vacation, van developed a whine coming from drivers side of engine, either the transmission or just above it. Sounds like a burned up power steering pump but it's not. It's definitely from the drivers side and seems to be coming from the transmission. It does it in any gear and park starting at about 2,000 rpm.

Van has 101k miles, I did a pan drop and filter at 92k and used Mopar atf+4. Suggestions? Really stressing about this.

there's an alternator too. Take that belt off & check. Just in the driveway, don't drive it (anywhere).
then trans fluid, if it's low or the filter is blocked, you get racket from the fluid pump.

Ok so all of a sudden, well a week after a 700 mile vacation, van developed a whine coming from drivers side of engine, either the transmission or just above it. Sounds like a burned up power steering pump but it's not. It's definitely from the drivers side and seems to be coming from the transmission. It does it in any gear and park starting at about 2,000 rpm.

Van has 101k miles, I did a pan drop and filter at 92k and used Mopar atf+4. Suggestions? Really stressing about this.
Check my post here.

I had a tranny issue with my 2015. Needed a new torque converter. Check my post and there is a file of the noise.

I changed the filter and fluid early and that didn't help. I also had the flex plate changed since they were in there and it was only an extra $100 and change.

If you can, don't drive the van any more. You will cause more damage. If it's the torque converter only, you may be able to get away with that and a new filter and fluid. If it's worse then it's going to cost much more to repair. Of course mine died 6 months after warranty was over. It only had 55K miles on it at the time.

Last edited:
What a shame - this is why GOP didn't want to bail these suckers out. Anyway the Democrats got their way to bail these bassstards out - you don't know how to make a tranny leaving customers with a $5K bill. A friend of mine had his Dodge 2500 transmission replaced at the dealership - it was low on fluid and the inspections never caught it or didn't even have a leak. That was a complete mystery - fluid just vanished. The new transmission is a bit rough but he is happy the dealership took the bill since he gets the vehicle maintained by his dealership.

What a shame - this is why GOP didn't want to bail these suckers out. Anyway the Democrats got their way to bail these bassstards out - you don't know how to make a tranny leaving customers with a $5K bill. A friend of mine had his Dodge 2500 transmission replaced at the dealership - it was low on fluid and the inspections never caught it or didn't even have a leak. That was a complete mystery - fluid just vanished. The new transmission is a bit rough but he is happy the dealership took the bill since he gets the vehicle maintained by his dealership.
Neither your politics not your story really jive with the post?

Wrong thread?

Fluid was really dark after only 9k miles since a pan drop and filter change when it was pretty clean. With a new filter and 5 quarts, it's quiet again but I'm not sure what to do. Pan drop a couple more times or go ahead and replace the transmission. It's my wife's vehicle and I don't want it to crap out on her.

There's a known thrust bearing issue in the converters on these. Fluid changes aren't going to fix it, but early intervention may keep the rest of the trans from massive failure.

The fluid and filter change is just allowing the pump to get fluid flow again temporarily it will start to whine again soon

you can get it repaired or replaced. There was a link from jc1

Back