2016 Subaru WRX FA20F(DIT) 5.3K Miles Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stock 2016 WRX. I purchased it new and am the sole owner for the past 3 years. It's under power-train warranty until 60k miles.

Owner's Manual specs synthetic 5w30 ILSAC-GF5 or API SN-RC.

Driving Habits:
- Spirited: I hit redline everyday on the highway on-ramp or to pass someone
- Otherwise, I normally shift between 3.5k-4k RPMs
- I stay out of boost until after the oil temp reaches 145 deg F (as shown by the in-car Tri-Gauge Cluster)
- My work commute is 25 miles one way: 80% Highway, 20% city and takes about 35 minutes.

Comparison with macro data (universal averages) shows engine is within "normal" wear, and the variation is well within standard deviation.

To the concerned 2015+ WRX owner who stumble upon this thread:
Guys, it's a Japanese 4 cylinder economy motor with a turbo dropped into a well designed chassis with a sport tuned suspension. Basic maintenance and skip the mods and it will be very reliable.

REFERENCES:
Blackstone Universal Average report reference for engine (NOT MY REPORT):
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45934374&postcount=3437

How to read a UOA:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

wrx_oil.PNG

wrx_universal.PNG

wrx_gauge.PNG

Originally Posted by normal_guy1
Comparison with macro data (universal averages) shows engine is within "normal" wear, and the variation is well within standard deviation.

Talk of standard deviation and other such concepts here will just lead to arguments.
I would advise against...

What's the deal with the engine nomenclature, btw? I've seen the same engine called the FA20F and the FA20DIT in different sources, and the OP listed both in his title. Did Subaru change their minds about what to call it at some point? The FA and FBs seem inconsistent generally - the turbo 1.6L FB is called the FB16DIT (I assume for Direct Injection Turbo), the turbo 2.4L FA is just the FA24, the FB16 and FB25 got DI without name changes but the FB20 went from the FB20B to the FB20D when it got DI, and so on.

Originally Posted by kaesees
What's the deal with the engine nomenclature, btw? I've seen the same engine called the FA20F and the FA20DIT in different sources, and the OP listed both in his title. Did Subaru change their minds about what to call it at some point? The FA and FBs seem inconsistent generally - the turbo 1.6L FB is called the FB16DIT (I assume for Direct Injection Turbo), the turbo 2.4L FA is just the FA24, the FB16 and FB25 got DI without name changes but the FB20 went from the FB20B to the FB20D when it got DI, and so on.

FA20DIT covers both the FA20E and FA20F.

The SJ Forester XT has the FA20E and the 2015+ WRX has the FA20F.

FA20F has higher HP (268 HP vs 250 HP on the FA20E) resulting from stiffer valve springs that allow for a higher redline and the boost target is also different.

They are very similar but they have some differences.

More info here: http://australiancar.reviews/Subaru_FA20E-FA20F_Engines.php

Originally Posted by jbutch
Originally Posted by kaesees

FA20DIT covers both the FA20E and FA20F.

The SJ Forester XT has the FA20E and the 2015+ WRX has the FA20F.

FA20F has higher HP (268 HP vs 250 HP on the FA20E) resulting from stiffer valve springs that allow for a higher redline and the boost target is also different.

They are very similar but they have some differences.

More info here: http://australiancar.reviews/Subaru_FA20E-FA20F_Engines.php

Thanks for the info!

Interesting that there is a difference in the valve springs between the two variants btw. I had assumed that the version the Fozzy XT got only had a less aggressive tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back