2016 Subaru STi Factory Fill 3864 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru Factory Fill
3864 miles
Subaru WRX STi
Car was gently driven for the most part with some hard pulls after 1000 miles for break in purposes. Some stop and go daily commuting. I wish I had changed this oil sooner but I don't think it's that bad for a first oil change. I expected high iron and silicone. It currently has a fill of 5w-30 Redline and I plan on running this for 5000 miles and have another analysis. Of note, no oil needed to be added before this oil change so it looks like everything has seated well in the engine.

Blackstone Notes:
Thanks for the notes. Your new STi put more metal and silicon into the oil than normal, but that's common for the factory oil. Universal averages show how the EJ25 Turbo tends to wear (post wear-in) with oil that's been in use about 3,900 miles. The only other thing to point out is the viscosity, since it was a little thin for a 5W/30. That wasn't from excess fuel thinning it out, so maybe your Subaru left the factory with 5W/20. It's not a problem either way. Go ahead with your plan to run 5,000 miles on the next fill, and check back to monitor wear-in progress.
Code:
MI on Oil 3864

MI on Unit 3864

Sample Date 02/26/16

Make Up Oil Added 0

Oil Type Subaru Factory Fill

Universal Avgs

ALUMINUM 6 6

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 27 27

COPPER 70 70

LEAD 0 0

TIN 1 1

MOLYBDENUM 1061 1061

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 4 4

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 4 4

BORON 165 165

SILICON 123 123

SODIUM 6 6

CALCIUM 2034 2034

MAGNESIUM 21 21

PHOSPHORUS 895 895

ZINC 1006 1006

BARIUM 4 4

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 51.6

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.75

Flashpoint in °F 385

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.00

Water % 0.0

Insolubles 0.2

TBN N/A

I wouldn't worry about wear numbers being higher than normal... it's a new car and running through break-in.

But WOW... that's alot of Moly (1061 ppm)!

Originally Posted By: wemay
I wouldn't worry about wear numbers higher than normal... it's a new car and running through break-in.

And the dealer kept telling me that there is no such thing as break in oil anymore. That it's all the same. Based on what I have read over the last couple of years, Subaru has been factory filling their cars with oil loaded with moly. But I wasn't letting the dealer put that Subaru Swill 5W30 in my EJ25.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I wouldn't worry about wear numbers being higher than normal... it's a new car and running through break-in.

Probably like Honda, a lot of the moly comes from assembly lubes rather than the oil itself.

STI. Hasn't been STi since the blob-eye!
28.gif

Thank you for buying a subaru and helping me keep my job.

Fyi, if you bought your car in bama, i worked on it here, and made sure it was perfect for customers
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rickmeseke

Fyi, if you bought your car in bama, i worked on it here, and made sure it was perfect for customers
wink.gif

Nice. I ordered it the end of October from Landers- McLarty in Huntsville and took delivery in early December. What do you do for Subaru?

Originally Posted By: SSerian
Originally Posted By: rickmeseke

wink.gif

Nice. I ordered it the end of October from Landers- McLarty in Huntsville and took delivery in early December. What do you do for Subaru?

I work at the port here in brunswick doing quality control.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
STI. Hasn't been STi since the blob-eye!
28.gif

What, and who does the rally cars for Subaru? STI means Subaru Technica International. It a division for special performance cars, under Subaru brand. It is like the AMG for Mercedes...
They take the WRX and make it a little better, for incredible as it is.
They are still doing performance cars, until last I checked, recently.

Last edited:
I would not bother with UOA. The copper is sky high from crank and cam bearings. All the wear metals will go down.

There is engine break-in, but not break-in oil.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm actually surprised there's not more metal showing up in this analysis, break in is going well so far

Me too, all that Moly? Speaking of which, isn't the STi motor hand built? Maybe an assembly lube boosting those numbers, meaning it's not actually in the FF?

STI. Hasn't been STi since '05
28.gif

I'm a Subaru guy from way back. I prefer STi.
07.gif
cheers3.gif

Haha, great response. I can always tell who is who by their response to a little STI vs STi ribbing.
11.gif

If you have time, post up your thoughts on the car so far. If you've got a link to iwsti or nasioc, I'd appreciate that, too. I'm a prior GR owner (sadly hit and should have been totaled.) I'm going to hold out until the new engine is out and tested for a couple of years before I'm tempted to hop back into the STI world.

its been pretty much proven that UOA's on new engines is just throwing money away. as long as your OK with that, its fun to see anyway but not actionable.

28.gif

07.gif
cheers3.gif

Haha, great response. I can always tell who is who by their response to a little STI vs STi ribbing.
11.gif

If you have time, post up your thoughts on the car so far. If you've got a link to iwsti or nasioc, I'd appreciate that, too. I'm a prior GR owner (sadly hit and should have been totaled.) I'm going to hold out until the new engine is out and tested for a couple of years before I'm tempted to hop back into the STI world.

Because of the logo on the front grill? The co. division is with the captal I, the logo with the "i".

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm actually surprised there's not more metal showing up in this analysis, break in is going well so far

Me too, all that Moly? Speaking of which, isn't the STi motor hand built? Maybe an assembly lube boosting those numbers, meaning it's not actually in the FF?

The moly is from the factory fill as well as the assembly lube/pistons.

ARCOgraphite here was able to confirm with Idemitsu Lubricants of America that there's also moly in the factory fill. Interestingly, they seem to have backed off on high moly and ZDDP FF across the model range with the exception of the STi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
28.gif

07.gif
cheers3.gif

11.gif

Because of the logo on the front grill? The co. division is with the captal I, the logo with the "i".

The company STi became STI in 2006.
smile.gif

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Tecnica_International

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back