2016 Ram paint cracking

About the only thing I'm not 100% pleased with on my Ram is some paint cracking that is already starting to happen on the hood and roof. Its only 5 years old and has spent a lot of the 2 years I've had it in the garage. The main cracking spot in the picture (hope you can see it) is about the size of a nickle and there are a few areas like that on my hood and one or two spots starting on the roof. Color is Black Forrest Green which I love, but it isn't a color that lends itself well to touch up paint. Any thing I can do to keep this from spreading or getting worse? I've heard of ceramic coating and things like that, but not sure how helpful it would be for this, which as best as I can tell, is just poorly applied paint at the factory. You can also see my awful water spots that won't come off with wax..

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 154
No coating will help a structural issue. I'm reminded of the peeling paint on Dodge Neons in the late 90s.. has FCA (or whatever they are now) not figured out how to do paint?

I see the cracks exposing the primer underneath, are the dark grey areas also paint flaws or just debris?

Is Black Forrest Green supposed to look so white?

As far as the cracked paint goes, can you feel the cracks with a fingernail drug lightly over the surface? If not, there’s nothing you can do to stop them. If so, touch up could arrest their growth, but if you’re opposed to using it, they may be unstoppable as well.

Looks like paint failure. I don't know how often you wax or clean the vehicle but dark colors get hot. I spray wax every two weeks.

Yeah you can catch a fingernail on them. I think I may try a clear touch-up pen then just see how long it takes to look awful.. Hopefully several years. Nothing else to do really.

Back