2016 Ram 1500 5.7 PP 5w-20 6,500 miles

First oil analysis I think I've ever had so I could use any help I can get interpreting this. Was impressed with how fast Wix turned this they had it for less than a week. They reported that everything was 'Normal'. Is the base number in here TBN? Figured I would do analysis on the truck every year when I change just to see if I have any impending lifter failure.. The change was actually a mix of 5qts PP and 2qts QSUD both 5w-20. 43k on truck. What do you all think?

Attachments

• 2016 Ram 1500 oil analysis 1.pdf
    396.6 KB · Views: 266
First oil analysis I think I've ever had so I could use any help I can get interpreting this. Was impressed with how fast Wix turned this they had it for less than a week. They reported that everything was 'Normal'. Is the base number in here TBN? Figured I would do analysis on the truck every year when I change just to see if I have any impending lifter failure.. The change was actually a mix of 5qts PP and 2qts QSUD both 5w-20. 43k on truck. What do you all think?
5.10 ppm/1,000 of iron? I wouldn't be pleased with that result.

Were both of the oils rated SN+? The additive levels look a bit high but I have found the reported levels to vary significantly by lab.

Does your vehicle sit for days/weeks unused? How would you describe the type of driving? Short trips?

Mine can sit for a 1 week (or more) at a time, then it may get used for a short 2 mile drive. Or just moved onto the driveway (this happens a lot). Or even a 100 mile drive. For those reasons, I will probably change my oil every 6 months regardless of mileage.

5.10 ppm/1,000 of iron? I wouldn't be pleased with that result.
??? Iron is 33 ppm in the report, first line item.
The additive levels look a bit high
Additive levels look like they should considering a majority blend of Pennzoil Platinum, around 1100ppm calcium and 600ppm magnesium, phosphorous is just under 800ppm, zinc just over 800 ppm, and moly around 100. This is pretty average for a SP oil
Is the base number in here TBN? What do you all think?

Yes, TBN is an abbreviation of Total Base Number. Report looks good.

Were both of the oils rated SN+? The additive levels look a bit high but I have found the reported levels to vary significantly by lab.

Does your vehicle sit for days/weeks unused? How would you describe the type of driving? Short trips?

Mine can sit for a 1 week (or more) at a time, then it may get used for a short 2 mile drive. Or just moved onto the driveway (this happens a lot). Or even a 100 mile drive. For those reasons, I will probably change my oil every 6 months regardless of mileage.
My use is pretty much the same as yours. It gets a mix of short trips and highway runs, and its not unusual for it to sit for a few days. This oil was in for a little over 10 months and I'll probably stick with changing it between 10-12 months. I don't have the jugs any more, but none of it was over a couple years old so I assume it was SN+.

Additive levels look like they should considering a majority blend of Pennzoil Platinum, around 1100ppm calcium and 600ppm magnesium, phosphorous is just under 800ppm, zinc just over 800 ppm, and moly around 100. This is pretty average for a SP oil

I was a little concerned by the Iron/Copper numbers, but after looking at a few blackstone reports for hemi's my numbers seem to be pretty much in line with their 'universal averages'. It got a full dose of QSUD 5w-20 for this run. I am out of warranty now and have a few jugs of Mobil 1 5w-30 so that may be what it gets next year.

??? Iron is 33 ppm in the report, first line item.QUOTE]

I meant to say iron is 5.10ppm/1,000 miles. It may be normal for this engine but, higher than I would like to see.

Back