2016 Hyundai Elantra - What EXACTLY does ECO mode do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. So nobody has a true answer, only speculation. I'm not alone then. I'll have to keep looking and experimenting. To further clarify, again mine is a 2016. My car doesn't have a "sport" mode. Mine is identical to what wdn said on page 1, just an eco button that can be toggled on/off. Regardless, I really appreciate the input from everyone!

Also, on a completely separate note, supposedly all 2016 Elantras are supposed to have Driver Selectable Steering Mode equipped, even on the base model. Mine definitely does NOT (there is not a button on the steering wheel that has a steering wheel image on it). Is the info I read false, or is something fishy with my car? Fwiw, I've had the VIN pulled at several places, all agree it's a '16 SE.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by FFeng7
My sister in law has a 2015 or so Sonata. She said her dealership advised not to use ECO mode due to it altering the length of the intake manifold runner or something to that nature. Dealer said it was hard on the engine or intake. That was her relaying the information to me so it might not be accurate. However there could be some truth to that statement.

I would love to see that in action.

Usual dealer baloney.

My 06 Mazda 3 has variable intake runner length. It's basically a flapper that opens or closes depending on RPM. Longer intake run allows for more low end torque, while shorter intake run allows for better high RPM HP, with variable intake runner lengths, you get both. There is nothing in its operation that would be "hard" on an engine. That's like saying VVT is hard on engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tony1679
Hmm. So nobody has a true answer, only speculation. I'm not alone then. I'll have to keep looking and experimenting. To further clarify, again mine is a 2016. My car doesn't have a "sport" mode. Mine is identical to what wdn said on page 1, just an eco button that can be toggled on/off. Regardless, I really appreciate the input from everyone!

Also, on a completely separate note, supposedly all 2016 Elantras are supposed to have Driver Selectable Steering Mode equipped, even on the base model. Mine definitely does NOT (there is not a button on the steering wheel that has a steering wheel image on it). Is the info I read false, or is something fishy with my car? Fwiw, I've had the VIN pulled at several places, all agree it's a '16 SE.

Every feature on my Elantra is in my Owner's Manual. Some things did not have detailed info and I have been told to go to the dealer when asking questions at MyHyundai website. If you are missing a copy of Owner's Manual you can download from MyHyundai once you register.

Hyundai-Forums.Com may have more specific info if you have not visited there yet. As my teacher said, "it is not all in the book". Good luck in you quest!

MD ( 2011-2016) Elantra sedan/coupe

Originally Posted by Brigadier
My 17 Santa Fe has it, and I never use it. It delays downshifting to the point that, IMO, it is dangerous should you need to accelerate out of trouble.

My mom's Honda is the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back