2016 Honda Pilot appears to be consuming oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Pilot here uses zero to "not worth mentioning" amount of Mobil 1. 18,000 miles on the odometer. I am changing it at 6k miles and it is never even half a qt low at oil change time. Before I would condemn the engine as an oil burner, I would upgrade to the regular M1 0W-20 for a test to see if it uses less. Also, verify they actually filled it to full mark after oil is changed. Oil changers are bad about overfilling and underfilling sometimes, so you might have that going on as well.

Take it to the dealer and have them write up a service order. That way, you have a paper trail should problems develop later on.

That's great about the Powertrain being 5/60. Didn't realize that. I can breathe easier.

I'll call the service department on Monday to just start a paper trail, but I don't think I'll have time to bring it in reference the vacation from a previous post. I will monitor it like a hawk.

I'll also ask the service department if they'll let me supply my own oil or if they'll let me upgrade to a full synthetic, assuming they're using a blend.

I have no idea what a VCM is or a muzzler. Are you talking about a PCV or EGR type of thing? Perhaps my SubieSpeak doesn't translate well into HondaSpeak. (PCV = Positive Crankshaft Ventilation; EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

I could consider a 5w20 if I did my own oil changes, but something tells me the dealer would be less willing to accept that since they'd know I'm essentially voiding my warranty.

Now, if I topped off the said burn-off with 5w20, that's another story.

I'll try to remember to follow up after I get in touch with the service department.

VCM - variable cilinder managment. Honda has an ongoing lawsuit due to the issues caused by VCM (diables cylinders under low load). Dealer/honda doesn’t care if you are changing your oil or someone else does it for you as long as you’re at least following MM. Grab some 0w20 synthetic, change it and start monitoring.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
VCM - variable cilinder managment. Honda has an ongoing lawsuit due to the issues caused by VCM (diables cylinders under low load). Dealer/honda doesn’t care if you are changing your oil or someone else does it for you as long as you’re at least following MM. Grab some 0w20 synthetic, change it and start monitoring.

Thanks. So you’re saying that VCM is contributing to oil consumption? Why would that be?

Lawsuit against this EarthDreams engine in my Pilot?

I’ll google on disabling it.

This is not the ECON mode right?

I believe all older V6 honda engines equipped with the VCM are a part of a lawsuit. I don’t think current ones are.

Basically, VCM disables 2 out 6 cylinders (might be wrong on the # of cyl) which makes the engine to run at different temperatures, which leads to uneven wear and oil consumption ( that’s how i see it). Econ mode would indicate VCM on older hondas but not on current generation of J series.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Has a bad engine. I would trade it in for something more reliable.

Are you saying that this particular engine design is a bad engine (The Earth Dreams V6) or my particular engine in my Pilot is a single instance of a bad engine?

I'm saying that your particular engine is bad. Not familiar with this V6 engine.

In this day and age there is no excuse for an engine to use oil. I wouldn't stand for it.

Only car I had that used oil was a Madza RX7 with a rotary engine that had oil injection and was meant to use a little oil.
1988 Honda Accord with 250K miles used no oil. My POS Mercury Mistake, I mean Mystique, used no oil. My eco-box 1.6 liter Sentra with 150K used not a drop of oil.
My wife's Elantra, my Ferrari or any of my Mercedes ever used a drop of oil.

It's a bad engine and I would get it replaced or get rid of the car while you still can. It only has 20K on it now, can only get worse.

I believe all older V6 honda engines equipped with the VCM are a part of a lawsuit. I don’t think current ones are.

Basically, VCM disables 2 out 6 cylinders (might be wrong on the # of cyl) which makes the engine to run at different temperatures, which leads to uneven wear and oil consumption ( that’s how i see it). Econ mode would indicate VCM on older hondas but not on current generation of J series.

Gotcha. Yeah, we don't use the ECON mode on our car. Maybe that'll help.

Has a bad engine. I would trade it in for something more reliable.

Are you saying that this particular engine design is a bad engine (The Earth Dreams V6) or my particular engine in my Pilot is a single instance of a bad engine?

I'm saying that your particular engine is bad. Not familiar with this V6 engine.

In this day and age there is no excuse for an engine to use oil. I wouldn't stand for it.

Only car I had that used oil was a Madza RX7 with a rotary engine that had oil injection and was meant to use a little oil.
1988 Honda Accord with 250K miles used no oil. My POS Mercury Mistake, I mean Mystique, used no oil. My eco-box 1.6 liter Sentra with 150K used not a drop of oil.
My wife's Elantra, my Ferrari or any of my Mercedes ever used a drop of oil.

It's a bad engine and I would get it replaced or get rid of the car while you still can. It only has 20K on it now, can only get worse.

Thanks. I'm not ready to put it down just yet - maybe when it approaches end of warranty if we're still having trouble.

I'm pretty sure that urban driving does occasionally have some oil consumption side-effects regardless of manufacturer - happening because oils getting thinner and have more evaporative properties (higher NOACK)...

Will continue monitoring and will consider adding 5w20 next time.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Take it to the dealer and have them write up a service order. That way, you have a paper trail should problems develop later on.

^This
And let the dealer top it off.

Try using BG EPR right before an oil change. I know of a few people with consumption issues who have used it and has stopped their consumption issue. It really cant hurt to try it.

Originally Posted By: pilot1226

Thanks. So you’re saying that VCM is contributing to oil consumption? Why would that be?

Lawsuit against this EarthDreams engine in my Pilot?

I’ll google on disabling it.

This is not the ECON mode right?

Others can correct me, but in an operating cylinder the combustion of the fuel/air mixture creates pressure that gets behind the piston rings and expands them slightly, creating a better seal. Deactivated cylinders don’t have combustion so the seal isn’t quite as good and a touch more oil is left on cylinder walls to burn.

For reference I found out the specifics:

ODO 20732
Trip B is saved for OCI: 40% Oil Life Remaining - 3236 miles.

I added 1 quart of Mobil Super 0w20 and it is now just shy of the high line area.

Will continue to monitor. Dealer noted the account, allegedly. I’ll check it again before going in for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back