2016 Honda Civic Coupe starter

Has anyone replaced a starter on a 2016 Honda Civic with the 1.5 engine? The starter sounds very weak and usually takes about 4 turns to start the engine. It can't be started with a single push of the start button so the button has to be held in to start it. Brand new battery and alternator tests good.
This car is my problem child of my vehicles lol. I put it up on ramps today and the starter looks buried. To the left half of it is the flex pipe of the exhaust and the passenger side half shaft lies directly underneath it. I can barely touch it from the bottom with one finger let alone get tools on it. Any suggestions?

Has anyone replaced a starter on a 2016 Honda Civic with the 1.5 engine? The starter sounds very weak and usually takes about 4 turns to start the engine. It can't be started with a single push of the start button so the button has to be held in to start it. Brand new battery and alternator tests good.
This car is my problem child of my vehicles lol. I put it up on ramps today and the starter looks buried. To the left half of it is the flex pipe of the exhaust and the passenger side half shaft lies directly underneath it. I can barely touch it from the bottom with one finger let alone get tools on it. Any suggestions?
Just go on YouTube. Lots of videos on this. Or visit Civic forums and just ask. Know how to use a computer?

Well yes I do smart ass. NOTHING shows for 10 gen starter, especially the 1.5 turbo.
If you search you may be able to find a FSM that lays it all out with pics even. I found free downloadable FSM manuals for my Accord, Explorer, Civic and even for Porsche. Just gotta look a little. Your library likely has this info for you. Mine does. You could buy a month subscription to one of the service/repair info purveyors for a minimal cost and learn/do repairs for the rest of the car.
However, I find it difficult to believe your civic is that different than other 2016 models or years.
And...no need to curse

Last edited:
Any Civic from 2015 to current is the same generation (10th) and the procedure should be identical for all of them, at least with the same engine. You could possibly reference even older models presuming the same engine. A coupe might be different than a sedan but not likely.

Any Civic from 2015 to current is the same generation (10th) and the procedure should be identical for all of them, at least with the same engine. You could possibly reference even older models presuming the same engine. A coupe might be different than a sedan but not likely.
The 1.5 turbo first appeared in the 2016 civic. In the gen X forums many complaints on starter issues but being relatively new none have worn out but instead were taken out by oil leaking past the valve cover gaskets and no one mentions doing it themselves as repairs for this were not only most under warranty but there is also a tsb about the oil leak affecting the starter by gumming it up. My civic doesn't have the oil leak and the starter looks brand new.
From underneath there is no doubt the exhaust would have to be dropped to get to it and I was wondering if anyone had done one themselves if there was another way.
From the top I can easily touch the entire starter, the two bolts, the nut holding the power cable to it and the clip for the ground. However the intake manifold is blocking any view of it and thats frustrating as even with the intake blocking the view there is still room to remove the starter easily from the top, flat footed, but doing it blind is the problem.
Yeah the coupe is no different when it comes to the engine bay and the general layout of the 1.5 is similar to the other 4 cylinder Honda engines except for the extra stuff for the turbo crammed in there.
I've done days of searching and just wondering if anyone had done one themselves and had any tricks not mentioned in the book.
I've watched numerous pre 2016 2.0 videos and they are all doing it from the bottom relatively easily but there is no way to barely touch it with the exhaust in the way on this 1.5.

Could you get to it from the passenger side wheel well if you remove the fender liner and alternator? I don't know how far down/back the actual metal of the fender goes so might be a no go. Looking at that engine my first thought was that you'd probably have to remove the intake manifold and do it from the top.

Could you get to it from the passenger side wheel well if you remove the fender liner and alternator? I don't know how far down/back the actual metal of the fender goes so might be a no go. Looking at that engine my first thought was that you'd probably have to remove the intake manifold and do it from the top.
There is some mention of take the passenger inner liner off to get to the top bolt easier but on the 1.5 it seems to have an extended top bolt and it is easy to get to from the top. I may find a 6x6 mirror and put it on the fire wall to see a little better. Honestly I think the only thing I'm in doubt of is the clip for the ground but I'll definitely do it from the top.

Update: After much wailing and gnashing of teeth it appears the new battery was bad from the get go.

Back