2016 Honda Accord CVT UOA 28,612 Factory Fill

This is the 1st UOA for the CVT in my 2016 Accord Sport with 28,612 miles. I purchased the car back in July of 2019 with 13k miles so I am almost certain this was the factory fill. It seems like (thankfully) pretty boring results! I completed 2x D&F (~8 quarts of Honda HCF-2) when I took this UOA.

Accord CVT UOA Oct 2022.jpg

Basically, the fluid was perfectly serviceable even though it probably smelled terrible and looked like used motor oil.
I've been very surprised when I've drain/filled the CVT on my 2014 Accord. The fluid is still Red! And that was at 50,000 miles and 85,000 miles. I'm about to drain/fill it again, it's at 110,000. Trying to wait until about 115,000 miles, but, might get it out of the way early so I won't be crawling around on the ground during the winter months.

I've been very surprised when I've drain/filled the CVT on my 2014 Accord. The fluid is still Red! And that was at 50,000 miles and 85,000 miles. I'm about to drain/fill it again, it's at 110,000. Trying to wait until about 115,000 miles, but, might get it out of the way early so I won't be crawling around on the ground during the winter months.
Honda CVT fluid is not red…

Basically, the fluid was perfectly serviceable even though it probably smelled terrible and looked like used motor oil.
Exactly! After only 28k I was surprised how much darker the fluid was than the new stuff. I'm glad to see the properties of the fluid were still good.

I have been trying to knock out some preventative maintenance this fall for the same reason!

Oh no it's hard on them. I'm still trying to understand two refills. I would have simply changed it and then changed it again after 1,000 miles.And then after that every other oci would be sufficient.

This is the 1st UOA for the CVT in my 2016 Accord Sport with 28,612 miles. I purchased the car back in July of 2019 with 13k miles so I am almost certain this was the factory fill. It seems like (thankfully) pretty boring results! I completed 2x D&F (~8 quarts of Honda HCF-2) when I took this UOA.

View attachment 120357
Virgin TAN for HCF-2 is 0.4 and I've been told that a good rule of thumb is when it gets to 3x to 4x above virgin value is when you should change it. It looks like you changed it at the right time.

Oh no it's hard on them. I'm still trying to understand two refills. I would have simply changed it and then changed it again after 1,000 miles.And then after that every other oci would be sufficient.
Sorry I should've specified - I drove a few miles after the first drain / before the second to get it all mixed. Since I purchased the car used, I wanted to have a good fresh baseline to start from.

Virgin TAN for HCF-2 is 0.4 and I've been told that a good rule of thumb is when it gets to 3x to 4x above virgin value is when you should change it. It looks like you changed it at the right time.
Interesting, thanks for the heads up! The original TAN value was something I had not considered.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up! The original TAN value was something I had not considered.
Here's the VOA of HCF-2:

Back