2016 Fusion, ptu and rear diff fluid change, recommendations???

I know the PTU takes 75w140 and rear takes 80w90... Just wondering if anyone has anything they recommend for oils. Should I switch to a synthetic 75w90 for the rear or stick with a 80w90 conventional?

Have used this several times. Good product.

Valvoline.jpg

The best oil you can in the PTU, those things take a beating, so full synthetic is probably in order for that. The rear end, probably whatever meets the spec will be fine.

I have a 2017 2.3EB Explorer. I've been using Amsoil 75W-140 Severe Gear in the PTU and their 75W-90 SVG in the rear diff. The PTU was changed multiple times early in it's life. The last change was at 24,500 mi of use and the fluid came out clean and there was really nothing on the magnet. The rear diff was Mity Vac'd out at 22,500 mi originally and next at 69,000 mi on the vehicle. Like your Fusion the Explorer is mainly FWD so the rear diff is not used as much, I assume. I would expect any quality brand synthetic gear oil changed at the ~30,000 mi intervals in the PTU would hold up fine. Ford's idea of it being a "Lifetime Fill" is a poor joke on the vehicle owners.

I have a 2017 2.3EB Explorer. I've been using Amsoil 75W-140 Severe Gear in the PTU and their 75W-90 SVG in the rear diff. The PTU was changed multiple times early in it's life. The last change was at 24,500 mi of use and the fluid came out clean and there was really nothing on the magnet. The rear diff was Mity Vac'd out at 22,500 mi originally and next at 69,000 mi on the vehicle. Like your Fusion the Explorer is mainly FWD so the rear diff is not used as much, I assume. I would expect any quality brand synthetic gear oil changed at the ~30,000 mi intervals in the PTU would hold up fine. Ford's idea of it being a "Lifetime Fill" is a poor joke on the vehicle owners.
They learned their lesson over the years with the FWD PTU units. Originally they had no drain plug, only a fill. Later, after they all started burning up, they added a drain. Now they have Drain and Fill, and have air ducted to them from under the car. I believe they hold more fluid now as well. Originally it was under a quart, as I recall it is almost 2 quarts now. They also went from 'filled for life' to 'this needs service', I suspect that was when the drain plug was added.

They learned their lesson over the years with the FWD PTU units. Originally they had no drain plug, only a fill. Later, after they all started burning up, they added a drain. Now they have Drain and Fill, and have air ducted to them from under the car. I believe they hold more fluid now as well. Originally it was under a quart, as I recall it is almost 2 quarts now. They also went from 'filled for life' to 'this needs service', I suspect that was when the drain plug was added.
Our 2017 has a drain plug thankfully and being a 4 cyl there is no where the degree of heat as from the V-6. Our PTU holds 24 oz instead of the 18 oz the V-6's held and is easy to change. Interestingly our 2.3 EB does not have a engine under belly pan, it's wide open like in the old days. Our 2017 PTU was still listed as a "lifetime" fill.

Thanks guys... I've drained the PTU multiple times and filled with redline 75w140. I've never done the rear though, I'll prob go with synthetic too for that one as well and prob be good for many miles to come.

75w-140 for PTU, change as often as you can afford. These are a very expensive unit and the labor costs the same if not more than the unit itself. I prefer 15k intervals as the fluid is cosmetically burnt to a crisp. I never did run a sample.

As for the rear diff, you cant get all the fluid out, so now would be a good time to swap to 75w-90 synthetic. It doesnt get very hot and usually is only doing 30 percent of the work vs about 70 percent on the front. .

Did the rear end the other day, got and 600 ml out and filled it back up... Oil wasn't that bad coming out, not much on the magnet so I guess it's wearing really well!

Did the rear end the other day, got and 600 ml out and filled it back up... Oil wasn't that bad coming out, not much on the magnet so I guess it's wearing really well!
It holds slightly more than a quart, so you got about half of it out. What did you use to remove the rear diff fluid?

Back