2016 Ford Fusion 2.5L due for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car just racked up 14500 miles and is due for it's next oil change.

I have been debating if I should change the oil in this car or have my trusted mechanic do it or go to the Ford dealer.

I don't think free oil changes were a part of the deal when I bought the car so that's one downside going there.

If I go to my trusted mechanic, I for some reason worry if it's my oil that I purchasd actually going in the sump.

I could do it myself but I really don't trust dad's car stands. They're pretty old and slightly bent when he tried to use them on his bronco - don't feel safe. I have only experience with my Jeep and it's up high enough that I don't need to lift it. Can I use jack stands and a jack?

Finally I'm wondering about oil. I'm pretty partial to Mobil and Shell products so I was wondering if 0w20 would be good. I'd like a thicker 20 weight of those, but on my list I have Pennzoil Plat. 0w20, Mobil 1 0w20 EP, Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. If Mobil 1 which of the 0w20 flavors is thicker?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It's not a newer Mercedes where the value will drop without having the dealer do a $125 oil change.

I don't know the visuals on your jack and jack stands so I wont answer that. Buy some ramps: https://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoGear-119...pacity/19526658

Yeah I really do need new car ramps.

Hard to describe the jack and jack stands. Jack and jack stands are rated at 3 tons. They're orange.

I've been happy with the local Quick Lane at the huge Ford dealer here. $25 for an oil change with no coupon but they honor other dealer's coupon. Add a little more if you want a tire rotation. First come, first serve and they work at a good pace. Not too slow or too fast. Very reasonable and will put in 5w20 or 5w30. Even had two sets of tires installed there.

Take your own oil to the Ford dealer. Sounds like your “trusted mechanic “ isn’t all that trusted and like you’re not equipped to DIY. I can say from experience the undershirlds in every Ford product are annoying to work with.

As a Ford service advisor I always write in the repair order what oil a customer provides. No problem.

Originally Posted By: EricBeau
Take your own oil to the Ford dealer. Sounds like your “trusted mechanic “ isn’t all that trusted and like you’re not equipped to DIY. I can say from experience the undershirlds in every Ford product are annoying to work with.

As a Ford service advisor I always write in the repair order what oil a customer provides. No problem.

No I trust the mechanic it's just that I've read horror stories here haha

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
...or have my trusted mechanic do it or go to the Ford dealer.

If I go to my trusted mechanic, I for some reason worry if it's my oil that I purchasd actually going in the sump.

Do you trust him or not ? If you listen to to many here, they'll tell you the only way to do it right is to do it yourself. If you can't, and you dwell on 'did he do it right ? I wonder if he messed something up and didn't tell me ?' you'll never sleep.

Buy the ramps and change it yourself. The ramps will pay for themselves in very short order with the money you save doing your own changes.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Buy the ramps and change it yourself. The ramps will pay for themselves in very short order with the money you save doing your own changes.

Sound advice. As far as the trepidation factor -- I've also never quite gotten used to the fact that a couple of lightweight (but safe) ramps separate me from potential disaster when I'm changing the oil in my Buick, so I wedge in some concrete blocks under the front bumper after I insert chocks behind the rear wheels.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
My car just racked up 14500 miles and is due for it's next oil change.

I have been debating if I should change the oil in this car or have my trusted mechanic do it or go to the Ford dealer.

I don't think free oil changes were a part of the deal when I bought the car so that's one downside going there.

I could do it myself but I really don't trust dad's car stands. They're pretty old and slightly bent when he tried to use them on his bronco - don't feel safe. I have only experience with my Jeep and it's up high enough that I don't need to lift it. Can I use jack stands and a jack?

Finally I'm wondering about oil. I'm pretty partial to Mobil and Shell products so I was wondering if 0w20 would be good. I'd like a thicker 20 weight of those, but on my list I have Pennzoil Plat. 0w20, Mobil 1 0w20 EP, Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. If Mobil 1 which of the 0w20 flavors is thicker?

Thanks!
Both of my Fusions have had M1 0-20 AFE and EP in the sump with outstanding results at 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
1) that engine is very easy on oil. It does not need anything super-duper expensive to turn in excellent UOAs. My 2010 Fusion 2.5L ran on dino oil and had 7.5-10k mile OCIs; never a trace of anything untoward ever. Just get some decent dino oil that meets Ford's spec and motor on. Simply put; you're overthinking this.
2) if your Fusion is anything like mine, it's too low in the front to approach the ramps without first hitting the lower air dam. Major pain in the posterior. Have to jack the car up on each side. If you don't trust the stands you have, either get new ones or abort the mission.
3) can't advise you on the dealer vs. local mechanic; you'd know them far better than us.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It's not a newer Mercedes where the value will drop without having the dealer do a $125 oil change.

I don't know the visuals on your jack and jack stands so I wont answer that. Buy some ramps: https://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoGear-119...pacity/19526658

Thanks didn't know they were that inexpensive. Placed my order!

Last edited:
My Lincoln Hybrid is a 2.5L and I had free changes via the dealer for first 4 years, MC 5W20 blend but with a 10,000 mile OCI I did a change between the free ones using synthetic, and now all DIY but I use a pump to siphon oil out via the dipstick and I can get to the filter easy enough without ramps. Now all synthetic 5W20 either Mobil 1 EP or Penzoil Platinum, and next one is a Pennzoil Ultra, Using a 7500 mile OCI now.

So, maybe invest in a pump rather than a set of ramps.

Your first order of business is to trash those bent jack stands. Center of weight distribution, as well as overall strength are now compromised and they should go in the dumpster before they get the chance to kill you.

Good for you, ordering ramps. I love mine, and I love changing my own oil, for a number of reasons. Enjoy bonding with your car. :)

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Your first order of business is to trash those bent jack stands. Center of weight distribution, as well as overall strength are now compromised and they should go in the dumpster before they get the chance to kill you.

Good for you, ordering ramps. I love mine, and I love changing my own oil, for a number of reasons. Enjoy bonding with your car. :)

Jack stands aren't bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back