2016 Ford F-150 Engine Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't really add much...but heard both sides of the story. Some LOVE the EB motors, say they are the best.

Heard a few say they are gutless junk.

For me, IF I was buying a truck, it would be a V-8...just love the growl of truck V-8's these days...the 5.0 Ford is great for that.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I've found the start/stop on the 2.7 to be very easy to modulate to get it to do what you want.

When you come to a stop, and you want it to kick in, just come to a complete stop and stay there. No creeping to fill in space if folks in front of you creep. Don't want it to kick in? Then leave a enough room to creep just a little - and it will never activate.

Honestly, it only took me less than three days of driving to figure it out, slightly change my driving, and now I don't even think about touching the disable button. And you start to realize how much gas we waste just sitting and idling at traffic lights...

i dont have a button to shut off the start/stop on my malibu but it does take some time to get use to. my car does have a beefed up stater and a AMG battery to take on the load. other ppl dont like driving my car because it shuts off on them.

Last edited:
My fiancee's son has a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 that has over 80,000 miles on it already(he works for the railroad and drives to many states to work)and has had no issues at all. Granted it is mostly all highway miles but he has the oil changed by the OLM which goes off around the 10,000 mile mark using Motorcraft 5W-20 blend and the Motorcraft filter.

He originally wanted the 3.5 ecoboost but with his past not so great maintenance record, I steered him toward the 5.0 instead since I thought that this engine would be a little more forgiving on oil changes vs the ecoboost engine. He has gone over the 10,000 mile mark a few times.

I personally like the 5.0 better because it's less complex and potentially has better long term reliability which is my main goal these days and I tend to keep vehicles for a long time. Good luck on your choice.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
When the turbo V6's go 200k trouble free miles I will be sold.

There are already a number of Ecoboost owners well above 200K. The EB engines have proven themselves.

Caveat: Early 2011 EB engines like mine had an issue with moisture accumulating in the intercooler. It would accumulate into a couple of quarts of water during cool, moist days and low load driving. Then full throttle operation introduced a big slug of water into the engine! Many failed engines due to this.

Many owners of early EB engines simply drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the intercooler. Solves the issue completely.

48124d1458240029-my-2011-just-hit-250-000-miles-image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all again. I heard Ford is quitting the V8 in F-150 (even in the Mustang) after 2017...sad.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks to all again. I heard Ford is quitting the V8 in F-150 (even in the Mustang) after 2017...sad.

Is this true? I am thinking of looking at a 2016 5.0 F150 this weekend. I could see the case for them to get rid of it. at this point what vehicles are powered by the 5.0? the Mustang and F150. It might take some doing before they lose it in the mustang, but it looks like many F150 buyers are happy with the ecoboost motors.

Lots of talk that Ford will do that, but to date, I have not seen anything official to that end. One of those be careful whose information you trust.

"The problem with quotes found on the internet is they often are not true" - Abraham Lincoln
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Lots of talk that Ford will do that, but to date, I have not seen anything official to that end. One of those be careful whose information you trust.

"The problem with quotes found on the internet is they often are not true" - Abraham Lincoln
smile.gif

That Mr. Lincoln really was ahead of his time. I've actually seen some reference or gossip on the web that the new raptor may have a 5.0 ecoboost option. It was rumored already as a GT500 engine. who knows though.

The article I read had quotes from someone at Ford. Main reason was ever tightening emissions. However, who knows for sure?

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
The article I read had quotes from someone at Ford. Main reason was ever tightening emissions. However, who knows for sure?

Hmm, for some reason I have my doubts. Higher cylinder pressures should make for higher NOx. I know the cat is there to deal with that. Maybe, maybe not.

IMHO, it has more to do with their production plant lines. Absolute wild guess on my part, but just where else do they need V8 capability? I know they sell enough F150's to justify dedicated engine lines for this powerplant; but, as a pure SWAG, gazing into a crystal ball for what happens in the future etc, wouldn't it make sense to focus on less engine types instead of more? NA seems to be getting old school now--a bit like 2 valve heads or pushrods. [Yes I know GM is holding on--good for them--but they are about the last.]

I suspect they have machines which bore and hone all 8 bores at once; and ones that do 6 at once. And ones that do cylinder head bolts all at once. Etc. Might they be looking down the road and not wanting to spend more on equipment that they can't (easily) put into V6 production, if in case market demand swings that way (if and when gas goes up in price). [You'd think V8 equipment could be changed to V6, but who knows.]

Assuming the quote is for real, that is.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
IMO Ford truck makes one of the best powertrains on the planet. When the turbo V6's go 200k trouble free miles I will be sold. Until then more components = More things to go wrong. I am more concerned with the aluminum body unless all you use it for is getting groceries or transporting stuffed animals.

No problem at all using aluminum as a load-bearing structural component as long as it's used in the proper ratio, thickness, etc. Look at all the heavy-lift cargo airliners out there. Guess what the frames are made of.

I have the F150,mines a 5.0 Coyote ..The smaller EcoBoosts are nice but too many end up in the shop so I passed,also starts stop is not for me.
These trucks are not without flaws but they are IMO the best gassers you can buy now wither its a Eco or 5.0

I have a 2016 xlt super crew with the 5.0. If I was doing a lot of towing I would of gone with the 3.5 Eco for the extra torque but I tow a few times a year and the 5.0 is an overal solid engine

Originally Posted By: bamorris2
I just sold my 2014 F150 with the 3.5 EB and bought a 2016 model with the 5.0...My only concern was the idea of the valves caking up with deposits, with no Ford-approved remedy. Whether my motor was afflicted, I will never know. There were no symptoms that I noticed. I understand that the 2017 3.5EB's will have no DI and port, so that should fix this problem (if it was in-fact a problem).

2017 3.5L EB will have both DI and port injection.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/09/2017-ford-f-150-receives-upgraded-35-liter-ecoboost-engine.html

"...The new 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 offers several new technologies and features to achieve its 375 hp and class-leading 470 pounds-feet of torque. The engine has:

Both direct and dual-port injection with two separate injectors per cylinder
Two new turbos with lighter turbine wheels for faster response (less lag)
Standard stop-start engine controls
A valve train that now uses roller rockers for reduced parasitic loss in power
Four hollowed-out camshaft cores to save more than 4 pounds of weight…"

These trucks are really well build, their put through their paces before their even sold- there are videos on YouTube on their durability. I believe this is the number selling vehicle of all time, therefore when they build these any small mistake requiring recalls/and warranty repairs can be fairly costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back