2016 Ford Edge, 2.0L ecoboost, 6,166mi OCI, Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30

Most recent uoa on our 2016 ford edge, the winter OCI. This vehicle is my wife's work car and is short tripped to and from work with the occasional long trip. Vehicle is remote started at least once a day and is stored in our un heated unattached garage.
Previous fill was valvoline full syn, this run was RTG, the current fill is PP 5w-30.

6 Months
6166mi oci
232hours, 30 mins
Make oil = 0
60,428mi on edge

The hours for miles compared to the fusion uoa shows how much the edge idled due to remote starting. Overall, I'd say this is a pretty good report and the oil did what it was supposed to albiet low viscosity due to some assumed fuel dilution due to short trips and cold weather remote starts (wish the fusion uoa I posted looked this good for iron).

1647479323450.png

I'm surprised they don't flag the 8.9 cSt on the Valvoline 5W30. That's the same grade as Mobil 1 EP 5W20.

I'd be very pleased with this report. Short tripped, winter, turbo, direct injection (I'm guessing) and still great wear numbers.

Isn't the 2.0 single turbo? I thought you had to get up to the 2.7 or higher to get twin turbos.
Good catch you may be right. Technically, our 2016 edge has a 2.0 twin scroll turbo. The 2015 fusion has the Gen1 2.0L. I haven't followed all the different ecoboost variants for a while. Both are 2.0L but are very different.

You may be right. Technically, the 2016+ edge has a 2.0 twin scroll turbo. The 2015 fusion has the Gen1 2.0L. I haven't followed all the different ecoboost variants for a while.
Well either way it's a great looking UOA. Keep on trucking, seems like you have a good oil regime setup.

forgive me if I've asked this before, and forgot ...
What plant was the Edge engine made at?
And the Fusion also?
Both were made at the Cleveland, Ohio Engine Plant
The newer 2.0 twin scroll is also manufactured in Spain for that market.
2015 fusion = Gen 1 (duratec based)
2016 edge = Gen 2 (new build)

Here's an article that talks about the upgrades and different. They are the same in the fact they are 2.0L ecoboosts but that's about where it ends.

I'm surprised they don't flag the 8.9 cSt on the Valvoline 5W30. That's the same grade as Mobil 1 EP 5W20.
wait a minute! Is there a typo here? Were these both 5w30? Why stress the Valvoline dropping to 8.9 and not the Rotella dropping to 7.5? IF the RGT is really 5w30 (and not 5w20), that‘s a pretty severe viscosity loss.

@volk06 consider using Oil Analysers lab next time, to get a real (gas chromatograchy) reading for fuel dilution.

of course, it’s probably a typo, or mislabeled bottle, and the RGT was really a 5w20 to start with.

what oil does Ford want in this engine?

wait a minute! Is there a typo here? Were these both 5w30? Why stress the Valvoline dropping to 8.9 and not the Rotella dropping to 7.5? IF the RGT is really 5w30 (and not 5w20), that‘s a pretty severe viscosity loss.

@volk06 consider using Oil Analysers lab next time, to get a real (gas chromatograchy) reading for fuel dilution.

of course, it’s probably a typo, or mislabeled bottle, and the RGT was really a 5w20 to start with.

what oil does Ford want in this engine?
I’ll stick with Wix/Napa due to costs and I’m not extending ocis beyond 6k so the extra cost isn’t worth it, at least to me.

I’m sure it had plenty of fuel dilution due to winter remote starting along with shearing.

Ford recommends 5w-30.

Wear rates are good so I’m not too concerned overall.

you are doing better than most, changing your oil frequently, and getting any analysis.

But, I look at BITOG UOA’s than I should (mostly fellow Ecoboosts), mostly to learn, but occasionally I lapse into “advice” mode. Personallypersonally…I’m gun-shy about viscosity drops and fuel dilution, so I spouted off. RGT and it’s “close cousin,” Quaker State Full Syn, have been recommended to me, (in fact QSFS is currently in my sump), hence my interest…and concern. If your RGT really was a 5w30, that is the worst viscosity drop I’ve ever seen...that’s a viscosity appropriate for 0w16. I’ll be getting mine analyzed in a few weeks, and hopefully its viscosity will be above 9.5ish, and of course no increase in wear metals. Depending on the results, I’ll decide what to refill with. In my case I hammer it in the summers, and try to make it through the 7000-9000 mile road trip without oil change away from home. So I’m especially interested in an oil that doesn’t lose its viscosity so much. Again, I’m reflecting on your results to apply to my situation.

Wear numbers look fine but the viscosity sure took a dump. If it were mine, I would move up to a 40 grade and cut back the interval some, along with changing the remote start habits.

you are doing better than most, changing your oil frequently, and getting any analysis.

But, I look at BITOG UOA’s than I should (mostly fellow Ecoboosts), mostly to learn, but occasionally I lapse into “advice” mode. Personallypersonally…I’m gun-shy about viscosity drops and fuel dilution, so I spouted off. RGT and it’s “close cousin,” Quaker State Full Syn, have been recommended to me, (in fact QSFS is currently in my sump), hence my interest…and concern. If your RGT really was a 5w30, that is the worst viscosity drop I’ve ever seen...that’s a viscosity appropriate for 0w16. I’ll be getting mine analyzed in a few weeks, and hopefully its viscosity will be above 9.5ish, and of course no increase in wear metals. Depending on the results, I’ll decide what to refill with. In my case I hammer it in the summers, and try to make it through the 7000-9000 mile road trip without oil change away from home. So I’m especially interested in an oil that doesn’t lose its viscosity so much. Again, I’m reflecting on your results to apply to my situation.
You can compare this RTG uoa to the uoa I posted for the fusion at the same. Same lot numbers and dates on the jug but the fusion had a higher ending viscosity. No reason to believe it wasn’t 5w-30, just a lot of shearing and fuel dilution. RGT hasn’t impressed me in this application but that’s just my opinion. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...t-6-844mi-oci-rotella-gas-truck-5w-30.352625/

The edge has PP in it now so I’ll be curious to see this uoa at the end of this oci. Thinking about GTX synthetic for the next oci as ecoboosts seem to love that oil (at least the magnatec).

Last edited:
Wear numbers look fine but the viscosity sure took a dump. If it were mine, I would move up to a 40 grade and cut back the interval some, along with changing the remote start habits.
Feel free to try and convince my wife not to remote on the cold winter mornings….😆

I’m debating on running 0w-40 in the fusion next oci to see if it affects the west numbers.

Last edited:
Back