2016 Escape tires

Hi all, wondering if I can get some advice on new tires for my brother. He’s got a 2016 Escape FWD I believe. I think he has the 17” wheels which would make it 235/55R17.
We live in Michigan and get frequent snow and ice so they need to be pretty good in the winter. Don’t have the funds for a dedicated set of winters though. He also carts around my five year old nephew hence the safety factor.
Places he would likely purchase are Discount Tire, Belle Tire, dealership or possibly even Costco, if there’s a particularly good time to purchase based on rebates, sales, etc.
budget I would say it needs to be good but don’t plan on buying the most expensive tire either.
My mom last year got a set of General Altimax RT43s on her grand caravan and her response was “they’re ok” so I didn’t get much feedback about them, but I’d still say they’re a possible option.

Hi all, wondering if I can get some advice on new tires for my brother. He’s got a 2016 Escape FWD I believe. I think he has the 17” wheels which would make it 235/55R17.
We live in Michigan and get frequent snow and ice so they need to be pretty good in the winter. Don’t have the funds for a dedicated set of winters though. He also carts around my five year old nephew hence the safety factor.
Places he would likely purchase are Discount Tire, Belle Tire, dealership or possibly even Costco, if there’s a particularly good time to purchase based on rebates, sales, etc.
budget I would say it needs to be good but don’t plan on buying the most expensive tire either.
My mom last year got a set of General Altimax RT43s on her grand caravan and her response was “they’re ok” so I didn’t get much feedback about them, but I’d still say they’re a possible option.

I would recommend the RT43s. They are on Amazon for $117.00. I don't know if "MOM's" second job is a qualified tire reviewer. BTW-we are all concerned about safety-children or not.

There are no inexpensive tires at Costco.

I would recommend the RT43s. They are on Amazon for $117.00. I don't know if "MOM's" second job is a qualified tire reviewer. BTW-we are all concerned about safety-children or not.

There are no inexpensive tires at Costco.

Haha yeah her opinion on tires was not that qualified I’m not sure why I even added that. I’ll check out Amazon that price is a little cheaper than currently on Discount’s website. Thank you.

He’s not as mechanically inclined so I may do his brakes this winter too but it’d be nice to have a couple options and let him make a decision

Another one I was considering was the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady but obviously higher price. I like the three peak mountain snowflake rating. I may float that one his way as an option

Another one I was considering was the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady but obviously higher price. I like the three peak mountain snowflake rating. I may float that one his way as an option
that's what my dad put on his '15 escape last year, no issues with them yet... they did cost him $900-1000 though.
they replaced a set of mastercraft's that he lost faith in after a year.
obviously we don't get the same kind of winter MI does, but the Goodyears got him through more confidently than either the mastercraft's, or the factory Conti's.

the absolute best winter performing all seasons i've ever had, were a set of pirelli P4's I put on my neon. the p6's that came on my Sable were fantastic as well, but when the time came to replace them, Pirelli had been Sold to the Chinese. So, instead of getting another set of p6's, i went with Cooper Cs5 Ultra Touring. they were just as good as the P6's if not better. liked 'em well enough that when i traded the Sable for the C-max (which needed tires anyway) i went with the same Coopers.

I liked and did so well with those, that's why dad went with the mastercraft's (Cooper product). Those wore to the point of spinning from a stop on damp pavement within...18mos, less than 20k mi. he went back to our local Indie tire shop, asked what they recommended, which was the Goodyears. (also the only thing they had in stock in his size) he came home with his wallet ~$900 lighter, but he's had no issues with them.

Last edited:
Kumho crugen HT51. Excellent all season tire with fantastic winter performance.

I had these OEM on my wife's Hyundai. The replacements were RT-43 are they are FAR SUPERIOR to the Crugen HT51s.

I’m running both the rt43’s and crugen HT51’s on two different Subaru’s right now. Both excellent. But the crugen is better in snow.

Actually I looked and don’t even see the HT51 available in the size mentioned for the escape. I only suggested them over the great RT43 due to the vehicle not being awd or 4 wheel. The HT51 just has more bite like a winter tire. Michigan winter can be tough. The RT43 should handle it.

Back