2016 Durango Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I just drove a T&C with the 3.6 and it felt pretty doggy. Maybe the 8 speed has something to do with the peppiness of yours. Congrats on the new ride! They look pretty handsome.

I think you have to change your expectations somewhat with this vehicle class. I can say that as an owner of two vehicles in this class (large 4,500+ lb SUVs with V-6 engines).

The Pentastar likes to rev; it doesn't build peak torque until almost 5,000 rpm. I would expect the minivan to feel lighter off the line than the Durango (smaller/lighter tires, FWD only, lighter platform overall). I would be happy with the 3.6L myself, and it's the one I'd choose, but it won't jump off the line like a torquier engine would.

I actually favor engines like this, engines that have a revvier nature to them. The whole vehicle just feels more "alive" to me. Larger engines that more or less just loaf around all the time feel indifferent and more mundane, even if they're faster if you plant the pedal.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Where is Itman to dog you about buying MOPAR?

it's fall so maybe he is sleepy...
so let me be the downer:
your laptop will go boom
your routers will go boom (after you talk to cisco for 2.456784345566 days on hold)
your switches will go boom
your fiber will go blink blink
you will run out of HDDs to shoot
your house will paint itself pink
all your neighbors will run to FL
crown vics on summer tires will dance all around you not stuck in snow
i could fit more stuff in my yaris
if you use a MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p (how did i do?)

now the question of the day:
you have a new vehicle
you are here talking with us:

why are you here talking with us and not driving the beauty?

Probably worth mentioning, the V6 Durango (and probably the JGC) have 3.45:1 diffs and the 8-speed has a 4.714:1 first gear. In fact 1:1 isn't achieved until 6th gear, with 7 and 8 being overdrive gears. I'm sure that amount of reduction aides in it feeling more "zippy" than it otherwise would.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Gorgeous truck! Now we need to get some snow tires for it, as winter decided to show up today
grin.gif

many miles of enjoyment/use.

now please keep that white stuff on your side of the border....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Where is Itman to dog you about buying MOPAR?

it's fall so maybe he is sleepy...
so let me be the downer:
your laptop will go boom
your routers will go boom (after you talk to cisco for 2.456784345566 days on hold)
your switches will go boom
your fiber will go blink blink
you will run out of HDDs to shoot
your house will paint itself pink
all your neighbors will run to FL
crown vics on summer tires will dance all around you not stuck in snow
i could fit more stuff in my yaris
if you use a MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p (how did i do?)

now the question of the day:
you have a new vehicle
you are here talking with us:

why are you here talking with us and not driving the beauty?

You did well, LOL!!!

My wife is out in it now. It is her vehicle, and she's enjoying it
smile.gif

My 2015 Grand Caravan feels quite athletic (straight acceleration) for such a big and heavy vehicle. It does, however upshift quickly to the tallest gear possible, so under normal driving the engine loafs around 1.5k rpm. Liberal application of the gas pedal wakes it up quite nicely though.
I'm sure the 8spd tranny would complement the 3.6L engine even more, but the 6spd is more than adequate. The first 3 gears are quite short and provide very good acceleration. Then there are two 4th gears, one for normal upshifts and one for kick downs, this again provides quite good acceleration when passing. 5th and 6th are tall with the engine revving at 1500rpm at 100kph (~62mph) in 6th.

Overkill, what's your plan for the break in?

My manual states: "While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided."

I did a fair bit of full throttle runs and decelerations using engine compression during the first 1200km, that's when I dumped the FF. So far no oil consumption at almost 14k km and 90% short trips. The tail pipe is not even sooty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Overkill, what's your plan for the break in?

My manual states: "While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided."

I did a fair bit of full throttle runs and decelerations using engine compression during the first 1200km, that's when I dumped the FF. So far no oil consumption at almost 14k km and 90% short trips. The tail pipe is not even sooty.

Pretty much exactly that. That's how we broke in the SRT as well. Oil changes are covered, but I believe they use bulk 5w-20, so I'll probably be providing the oil for the changes, probably AFE 0w-20 or EP 0w-20 if I can get it.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Great looking truck man.

Get that thing KROWN'd and it will last a long time.

She's scheduled for next Thursday at 9AM to get sprayed
wink.gif

Pretty much exactly that. That's how we broke in the SRT as well. Oil changes are covered, but I believe they use bulk 5w-20, so I'll probably be providing the oil for the changes, probably AFE 0w-20 or EP 0w-20 if I can get it.

Very nice, did you buy it from the dealer that you do the IT work for?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Very nice, did you buy it from the dealer that you do the IT work for?

Yup.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I just drove a T&C with the 3.6 and it felt pretty doggy. Maybe the 8 speed has something to do with the peppiness of yours. Congrats on the new ride! They look pretty handsome.

I think you have to change your expectations somewhat with this vehicle class. I can say that as an owner of two vehicles in this class (large 4,500+ lb SUVs with V-6 engines).

The Pentastar likes to rev; it doesn't build peak torque until almost 5,000 rpm. I would expect the minivan to feel lighter off the line than the Durango (smaller/lighter tires, FWD only, lighter platform overall). I would be happy with the 3.6L myself, and it's the one I'd choose, but it won't jump off the line like a torquier engine would.

I actually favor engines like this, engines that have a revvier nature to them. The whole vehicle just feels more "alive" to me. Larger engines that more or less just loaf around all the time feel indifferent and more mundane, even if they're faster if you plant the pedal.

I totally understand, I drive an Accord K24 with a 7100 RPM redline. The power builds with revs...you know, typical Honda. It has a nice v-tec pop at 5K too
wink.gif
. The girlfriends Jetta is the opposite, very torquey down low and power seems to fizzle out past 4K.

The Pentastar is a very nice engine. Its torque peak isn't until 5k RPM, but it does have a pretty flat torque curve thanks to camshaft phasing and a whole host of other tuning features probably. I like a 3.5L Honda as much as any other guy (see my signature...), but the Pentastar is probably its equal to me in terms of personal desirability. I don't care for Toyota's V-6 or Ford's V-6, and I don't have any seat time in a GM 3.6L to know one way or the other about that engine. If I had to buy a three-row SUV tomorrow, my two certain top picks are the Durango and the Pilot.

Updated the UConnect to version 16 last night:

Having a hard time convincing the wife to let me check the other systems on the vehicle for updates.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Do you have any pics of the inside of it yet?

I can snap a few if you'd like.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Congratulations! That is a nice SUV! But is that snow FFS?

Yeah, gone now though. A little preview of what we've got coming from Mother Nature apparently, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back