2016 BMW X3 Mann & Microguard Select

Oil change on In Laws X3, which will be our Daughters at some point. Normally dealer serviced, and I usually don't service the DD's but the light came on, they were here for Mothers Day and no good deed ever goes unpunished...:)

As posted in the other Microguard thread, they appear to be a very nice filter comparable, at least visually, to the OEM. The Micro is very close to the Hengst design (think I said Mann in the other thread).

x3ofs.jpg

What's causing the code to set in that case? What sensor is freaking out?
There can be several problems there.
Most commonly is small O ring on the cage. People forget to put back, or it is damaged. Another is loose cage or in some cases loose filter.
It is really important to check is everything back on the cage, if cage is still in place etc.
as for which sensor, I think readings from several of them, oil pressure, ESS, vacuum etc. cause this. Solenoids cannot operate without appropriate pressure and especially cage and that small O ring can cause this.
Filter itself if loose can be an issue. But biggest ones are no cage bcs people pull out cage with filter not seeing it was there (that can actually grenade engine), aftermarket cages, bad O rings etc.
That is why I stick to regular suspects:OE, MANN, Mahle or Hengst.

I usually do also, at least for the fun fleet, but this was a quick need and the local folks had these. Good to know of a decent option though.

I noticed the cage was a bit loose and made sure everything was centered and located before reinstalling the filter cap. Seems like the design is a bit less forgiving of inattention than others.

Oil change on In Laws X3, which will be our Daughters at some point. Normally dealer serviced, and I usually don't service the DD's but the light came on, they were here for Mothers Day and no good deed ever goes unpunished...:)

As posted in the other Microguard thread, they appear to be a very nice filter comparable, at least visually, to the OEM. The Micro is very close to the Hengst design (think I said Mann in the other thread).

View attachment 156113
I’d still use the Mann filter personal. Nice photos sir. Thank You

There can be several problems there.
Most commonly is small O ring on the cage. People forget to put back, or it is damaged. Another is loose cage or in some cases loose filter.
It is really important to check is everything back on the cage, if cage is still in place etc.
as for which sensor, I think readings from several of them, oil pressure, ESS, vacuum etc. cause this. Solenoids cannot operate without appropriate pressure and especially cage and that small O ring can cause this.
Filter itself if loose can be an issue. But biggest ones are no cage bcs people pull out cage with filter not seeing it was there (that can actually grenade engine), aftermarket cages, bad O rings etc.
Sounds like a messed up design. If engines can "grenade" because the filter is loose or the center cage and/or an O-ring is damaged or missing, then that must cause an actual starvation of oil flow to the engine, which could gernade it.

If the oil flow was still there, but just bypsssing the filter, then the oil pressure should still be there, but the oil just not fully filtered.

If oil flow is blocked, then definately a bad situation. ☠️

Sounds like a messed up design. If engines can "grenade" because the filter is loose or the center cage and/or an O-ring is damaged or missing, then that must cause an actual starvation of oil flow to the engine, which could gernade it.

If the oil flow was still there, but just bypsssing the filter, then the oil pressure should still be there, but the oil just not fully filtered.

If oil flow is blocked, then definately a bad situation. ☠️
Engine won’t grenade bcs. loose filter. But, BMW has tight specifications and will throw CEL for smallest indication that something is up. Which is actually good thing.
When engine is going to grenade is if cage is separated from oil filter cap. People pull out filter which should be tight on cage, and sometimes cage ends up stuck in filter. They actually don’t see that there should be cage. They put filter back in housing, with no cage. That is not case here. But, just saying for someone reading that that it is uber important to make sure cage is fitting properly on oil filter cap.

I noticed the cage was a bit loose and made sure everything was centered and located before reinstalling the filter cap. Seems like the design is a bit less forgiving of inattention than others.
If oil filters fit properly, there is IMO nothing to worry. But, cage should be inspected and it is not big deal tightening it.

Back