2016 Aston Martin V8 no-run

Just noticed this 20,000 mile car selling at auction on Tuesday. It has no keys so it doesn't run. It has clean title history so I wonder why they wouldn't spend the money to make keys to show it runs and drives. Typically a dealer would do that if it needs major mechanical work but it's sold by one of the remarking companies who are generally clueless about the cars they sell. Normally these would sell in the $80K range. Like this, it's a huge gamble but with a big potential reward if other bidders don't get carried away. Tempting.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Not a convertible fan, but those generation Vantage are some of the sexiest cars on earth. I know their reliability isn't great, but one day I'll have a very used one in the garage.

If you are lucky, sure. If after paying $1000 for a key and $250 to program it, you turn it on and find it's knocking or smoking and needs an engine, add $22K for an engine plus labor, to the cost.

Sounds like a job for Cline. He could swap an LS in there and get all the Brit fans steaming mad if the engine is toast.

already been done. they had to run the original engine for hours to simulate it. the 4.7 jaguar engine is good it just doesn’t make a whole lot of power

Last edited:
Hmmm....I wouldn't draw too many conclusions over RA not having an established relationship with an Aston-Martin parts warehouse.

To help reduce shipping costs the little truck icons on RA say "A", for the first warehouse; "B" for the second warehouse; and "You're kidding, right?" for Aston-Martin parts.

Just for giggles, I looked this car up on RockAuto for availability of replacement parts. Very few available.
That would in itself would have made me run away.
rockauto doesn’t have a lot of parts for half the cars on the road lol

aston martin is pretty spiteful with new part prices but that’s where good used parts come into play

AM keys are often stolen during transport due to the crystal in them. People like keeping them as paper weights. Had 2 master keys stolen from a DB11 I shipped. I was only left with the valet key(no blade), and the 12v battery died on the car. So I had to buy a new master just to have the blade to unlock and to jump it. The newer AMs don’t use crystal sapphire keys anymore and it ran me $1900 invoice for the regular non crystal key. Very similar to the modern Mercedes key. Retail was $2300. If I remember right the retail on the sapphire keys was above $3k.

Sapphire keys that cost $3,000 to replace, just another reason to never own an Austin Martin.

If you are lucky, sure. If after paying $1000 for a key and $250 to program it, you turn it on and find it's knocking or smoking and needs an engine, add $22K for an engine plus labor, to the cost.
Can you even get a title?
Maybe you need a title to get the key

Back