2016 Accord - Odd Looking Used Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
These images are of a filter with about 20k miles. Note the heavily concentrated oil/crud stains in some places with virtually new media elsewhere. I've never seen a filter like this before. Any ideas on what is going on here?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The inner design of a air box moves air current around as it is sucked into it. As filter loads it will start moving the air pattern. Every flat panel air filter I've had has done this, all in a different pattern.

I was thinking that this stuff was originating inside the engine via a PCV / breather line. Note how concentrated it is in a very small area. I agree that the shape of the pattern has to do with the swirl in the box. Like I said earlier, I've never seen an air filter like this before, particularly one this dirty with so few miles. This vehicle was stuck for hours in a snow storm last November, breathing in the exhaust of other cars. Somehow I doubt that this has anything to do with it. Perhaps I will check it in a few months at the next oil change and see if there is a similar pattern.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I was thinking that this stuff was originating inside the engine via a PCV / breather line. ...
That might make sense if the PCV fresh-air intake is on the dirty side of the filter, and you have that much blowby. Is the black stuff oily?

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I was thinking that this stuff was originating inside the engine via a PCV / breather line. ...
That might make sense if the PCV fresh-air intake is on the dirty side of the filter, and you have that much blowby. Is the black stuff oily?
Sorry, but I didn't check. I will inspect it at the next oil change, or approximately 8000 miles.

My 2013 Accords filter looks like that everytime i change it, which is about every 30,000 miles (I obey the maint. Minder).

My motor with 237,000 miles on it uses about 1 quart every 12,000 miles.

I'd rather have the oily film there than on the intake valves
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back