2015 Venza V6 Gas, regular vs premium experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, so I bought my Venza a month ago and after doing a bit of research i read that the Lexus SUVs who use the same V6 recommend premium in the 2GR-FE engine and they state 272hp-252ft lbs torque whereas the Venza says regular fuel for 268- 246ft lbs torque. (Close to that). Does anyone that own a V6 Venza do any comparisons of reg fuel vs premium? Im just curious if anyone has tested it out and noticed any benefit of running premium over regular? Id be regular will likely be most cost efficient and I will likel run regular, but curious if anyone had results that made them choose to run premium. Thanks in advance!

Have the 2GR-FE in a Sienna. It is in the 268 HP tune. It gets fed a steady diet of regular (87) but I have messed around with premium. I didn't notice a difference.
Even at 190,000 miles it gets 24-26 mpg, just like when new. Still runs like new too. I'd test if you're curious but expect little/no gain.

We had a Lexus RX300 for 15 yrs that could use either grand(or all grades) of gas. Using higher octane supposedly neted extra power according to the OM. I played around with octanes over the years however I could never notice any difference in power or mpg or even some extra throttle response.

I feel that our RX350 idles smoother and has more power with premium fuel. However I swear on long trips, the mpg is about 1 mpg lower. Same thing for my ecoboost fiesta and Maxima we used to have. Premium fuel ought to benefit mpg in engines designed for it because it won't have to retard the ignition, but I think that is more than offset by premium gas has lower btu's (energy content).

I read something that I thought was semi-official some years ago that indicated the Lexus vehicles with the 2GR-FE were advertised with slightly higher power numbers than Toyotas with the same engine (like my RAV4 and my wife's Avalon) because premium was recommended in their manuals while the Toyotas just said 87 or above.

it depends on the particular tune for a particular geography or demographics. e.g. Land Crusier 100 and LX470 have slightly different tunes and claims in their manuals, the same 2 UZ engine.

One huge aspect to keep in mind...

Cost of gas difference between the two adds up a whole lot. Thus why a "cheaper" version vehicle may well say use the cheaper gasoline. It makes the cost of ownership much less over time.

In my car... It is $14 difference per 20 gallon tank between 87 and 93. That adds up very fast obviously.

That may well be the reason for the recommendation difference between the two vehicles. Lexus vs the Venza.

I run 93 in my car. And that 70 cents difference is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Used to be 20 cents. And I could buy into it being more now... Vs 15-20 years ago. Say like 30-40 cents difference. But 70 cents seems like a rip-off. And there are some stations it is up to 90 cents
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back