2015 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD - 3 year review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Yeah, seal a sunroof and never use it again on a three year old vehicle and blame the supplier not the manufacturer of the vehicle. Can Toyota really do no bad?

For those that worship at the altar.... If you recall my Sienna review, it wasn't much different from edyvw's.

Yes I remember it quite well because I was genuinely surprised how poorly the interior of that thing was made and held up. It's still an example of one, but many here condemned other brands as inferior on much less than that.
wink.gif

Yeah, like their base model economy car experienced from 1958
lol.gif

My '76 Duster was crap so I'll never consider a 392 Challenger! FCA is junk!

Originally Posted by wag123

Failure of the sunroof housing? $5200 to repair? I have doubts about this diagnosis and repair estimate. This type of problem is typically a plugged or loose drain tube. You cant just blow the drain tube out with compressed air, it will blow the tube off of the barb. If it is in fact a failure in the sunroof housing like they say, I would take it apart and JB Weld it where it failed, and then never open it again (disconnect the power supply). If I couldn't get to the failed housing to repair it, I would permanently seal the sunroof shut with marine silicone sealant, problem solved (I don't like sunroofs).
Toyota doesn't manufacture the sunroof assemblies, an outside sunroof manufacturer does. The sunroof manufacturer that Toyota uses also supplies sunroofs to most of the other car manufacturers around the world.

wag123 - Thanks for your input and suggestion. Prior to taking it into the dealer, I checked into the clogged drain tube, as well as rear AC vent. I'm planning to take an extra day off around the holiday season and figure this "housing issue" out myself. The Sienna model we own has two sunroofs. Only reason we purchased this model was because my wife felt strongly about HID headlights -- neither sunroof has ever been used. As far as I'm concerned, I would have been perfectly happy if Toyota offered a "sunroof delete" option for the vehicle.

The dealer quote was $2828.89 for a new housing + $2344.39 for the headliner.

Thanks again -- appreciated.

Couldn't go back and edit my previous post

One way or another, I will figure out and repair this leaking sunroof. I'm disappointed that Toyota would not step up and offer any assistance. The vehicle is just out of warranty and that level of repair cost is disappointing. I would have been unhappy if the repair bill was under $1,000, but chalked it up to bad luck. But $5K+ on a 39 month old car because the housing is unserviceable is unacceptable.

"The dealer quote was $2828.89 for a new housing + $2344.39 for the headliner." I figured that this is what they were quoting.
The question that I have is this... how did the sunroof break if it was never used?
When you checked for a clogged drain tube, how did you do it?

"The dealer quote was $2828.89 for a new housing + $2344.39 for the headliner. "

Wow! Is that headliner made from fine Corinthian leather?

Originally Posted by PimTac
"The dealer quote was $2828.89 for a new housing + $2344.39 for the headliner. "
Wow! Is that headliner made from fine Corinthian leather?

I suspect that the prices include labor to R&R the parts. The labor charge to R&R the headliner in a van will not be an inconsequential sum. The price of the sunroof housing seems quite high, once you have removed the headliner it shouldn't be very labor intensive to replace it. I wonder if they are "stacking" the labor charges. This is a common practice at many dealers on customer-pay work. The factory won't let them get away with this on warranty work.
Eugenem, if I were you I would call Toyota's zone service rep and have a nice/calm/respectful personal talk with him/her (you would be surprised at how much you can get by just being nice). Simply tell him/her that you haven't used the sunroof and ask him/her how this could have happened unless the sunroof housing was defective from the factory. If you originally left it to the dealer to try and get the repair covered under warranty, that was a mistake, they are not going to advocate for you when the warranty pay will not be nearly as much.

Originally Posted by eugenem
Couldn't go back and edit my previous post

One way or another, I will figure out and repair this leaking sunroof. I'm disappointed that Toyota would not step up and offer any assistance. The vehicle is just out of warranty and that level of repair cost is disappointing. I would have been unhappy if the repair bill was under $1,000, but chalked it up to bad luck. But $5K+ on a 39 month old car because the housing is unserviceable is unacceptable.

You disappointed in Toyota dealership? Those people and company think we should give them money just for coming to look at vehicles that have some 20 year old technology.
I have never had such horrid experience as in Toyota dealership. Such patronizing etc. is ridiculous. I went to local Toyota here to check whether the have Sienna and first thing sales guy told me when I said I will trade in my BMW is: yeah, they are not reliable. I said: you ever owned one? He is: well, no, but I heard. I said, well get one, and second trust me, you are not going to sell me an upgrade.
I ended up getting one from BMW Downtown Denver as they gave me like $3000 more for trade in than Toyota, and B. they were selling minivan not Lotus Elise, so there was no this up-selling how I am going to get into best thing after sliced bread.
I heard somewhere that for some Sienna bill (luckily it was warranty) for infotaintment and GPS module was some $6,000.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by edyvw
In two months I put on my Sienna some 5,000 miles, and here is my verdict (disclaimer: practicality of this vehicle is why I got it, and it is big advantage over big SUV's):

Pro's:
1. Super, duper, uber practical (well I got it for that reason). It is big, it has huge cargo space, even with third row up.
2. Engine/transmission combo is not bad at all. Engine is fairly potent, and has adequate power over Rockies which at 10,000ft should lower power around 30%. Still it manages to go up fairly easy. Now, one thing that helps is that transmission can be manually manipulated (also one of the reasons I got Sienna), and as long as one is above 4,000rpm, I70 over the Rockies should be pleasant experience.

Con's:

1. Steering. There is steering wheel, but what tires are doing is up for guessing during driving.
2. Brakes are, well, Toyota.
3. AWD definitely let driver know when rear tires kick in. In my other car it is impossible to spin front tires, in Toyota AWD likes to think a bit.
4. Workmanship. Except Zastava 101 I owned as my first car, this is by far the worst assembled vehicle I owned.
5. Believe it or not, set of filters cost more than for my previous car, BMW X5 35d.
6. Position of oil filter. Whoever thought of that should be electrocuted.
7. Infotainment is afterthought. Compared to Honda at least it has power on/off button, but everything else is touchscreen. Super annoying. Cannot say anything about GPS as I am not using it.
8. Three flashlight blinkers are so unintuitive.
9. Beeping sounds for everything. It literally drives me and wife nuts.
10. A big one: time that takes engine to warm up. It is ridiculous. Thermostat is OK, car is in garage all the time and I always start car with HVAC at cold and keep it there to prevent cooling from secondary radiator first few miles. Yet, it takes forever. We came to the point if it is really cold, we just take Tiguan. That thing warms up in no time.

Overall, I have new appreciation for build quality of European cars. Safe to say, first and last Toyota.

Yep, shoulda gone with the SantaFe.....

That POS I would not touch with remote control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back