2015 Toyota hydrogen fuel cell car

Status
Not open for further replies.
The press release says Toyota wanted to give it an unique style, like was done with the Prius, so it would stand out. It may be better when I actually see one, but the pictures show it with the ugliest front end I've ever seen on a car.

You forgot to post a picture. Toyota is betting on hydrogen cars and not developing electrics. Gutsy move. I wonder if they will be right or wrong. Betamax moment?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
You forgot to post a picture. Toyota is betting on hydrogen cars and not developing electrics. Gutsy move. I wonder if they will be right or wrong. Betamax moment?
Just google and you'll see articles and videos. About 300 miles per fill up. Fill up at present prices should be about $50.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
A FC car is an electric car.

No, it's not a plug-in electric. Similarly, most hybrids are not plug-in electric.

The profile reminds me of Sonata (good thing).

main.jpg

Front is ugly indeed.

cellx-large.jpg

The profile reminds me of Sonata (good thing).

main.jpg

Front is ugly indeed.

cellx-large.jpg

Oh god, I never would have thought they could make a car uglier than a Prius. This thing makes a Prius (which IMO is hideous) look like a diamond.

Commercially hydrogen is produced by the reduction of methane CH4 to hydrogen H2. Not a "green" solution to anything. Better to make it run on methane, which is commonly available, but not commonly in the pressure needed to recharge the pressure vessel in a methane car.

Toyota/lexus and some other makers are trying hard to push hourglass motif the next fashion in cars. They actually trademarked it believe it or not.

That reminds me the Subary Tribeca fiasco. They thought they put references to wing-like shapes, but some people saw female parts instead.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Commercially hydrogen is produced by the reduction of methane CH4 to hydrogen H2. Not a "green" solution to anything. Better to make it run on methane, which is commonly available, but not commonly in the pressure needed to recharge the pressure vessel in a methane car.

The plug-in electrics are even less green, so I see where they are coming from. Besides, the exhaust would be absolutely clean (water). Not so with methane.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
A FC car is an electric car.

No, it's not a plug-in electric. Similarly, most hybrids are not plug-in electric.

I didn't say they are plug-in. They are fundamentally electric cars (the subsystems will be more closely allied with plugin battery cars than ICE based cars) That's all I meant.

Last edited:
That car is ugly as sin.

Why can Tesla build such an amazing looking car and a company like Toyota can't seem to figure it out.

Last edited:
Toyota should check with YouTube for some engineering help. Just imagine, if they get the oil viscosity wrong for so many of their vehicles like members here point out imagine how they might mess this up without help from the Internet. There's a guy that has hydrogen fuel for vehicles all figured out. He claims he did it for a couple of hundred dollars. So, why all the fuss? You need a Mason jar and some wire and water. Add some hoses and you're done. The one thing the missed is that one should wear ear plugs to protect one's hearing in case of an explosion.

Electric cars aren't green either .Where does the electricity come from?

This model looks different: https://ca.autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/toyota-launches-the-mirai--a-hydrogen-car-you-can-buy-%E2%80%94-sort-of-233839110.html

Looks are an interesting thing. Between living, non living, machines etc. there are partakers of every flavor.

I think the debut look of a vehicle is all a point of perspective. We have an entirely new tech car here. It has to conform to a whole new standard of safety yet retain some clues of the Toyota branding, perform well and meet all these unknown consumer expectations.

In looking at the movies of the past that have concepts of the future the cars are bold and edgy and distinctly futuristic looking. I think it looks like a car of the future in present day.

Last edited:

Hydrogen can be produced from many many different processes. As to whether those processes are efficient depends on what type of technology you are talking about.

Before long, there will be bio-hydrogen production facilities cranking out massive amounts of hydrogen with little input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back