2015 Tacoma 4.0L 1GR-FE Amsoil SS 0w-30 31.6k mi OCI

This is a friends Tacoma. Yes that’s really 31.6k. Air filter was changed 31.6k ago as well. Used a fram ultra but the oversized one. XG3600. For the first time the oil was low 2qts. Usually isn’t missing a drop. Not sure if it just thickened up or what but 31k / almost 2 years is a long time. Longer than I wanted to go but it’s not my call. I think scaling back to 20k is probably a good call and then going from there. The sodium is actually very near the universal average for the engine so not sure what to think there.

Attachments

• D97AA170-80DF-449B-9FF7-167B033671DE.jpeg
    D97AA170-80DF-449B-9FF7-167B033671DE.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 362
Convince your friend to at least change annually or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. I would consider it neglect, based on the report.
I’d agree to a degree. One long OCI on a quality oil won’t kill it. Sometimes life throws things at you that make car maintenance the last thing you care about and I think that’s what happened here. People are out there running their cars on half the amount of oil they should be never checking it between changing it when it crosses their mind from time to time and then going to a quick lube and we still got engines running strong and long with next to no maintenance. I think it will be alright as long as we make some adjustments here

Wow. Yeah I'd keep it to 25k at most. But she's on her way to the toilet and is gonna blow soon.

Wow. I have the same truck and year and using a ultra 3600 with the same oil. 10K is all I’m going…pretty gusty and huge nads to go that far.

Does your friend want to save money or time? Might as well abuse the engine with a cheaper good (Extended) oil. Usually people who use fancier oils are even more meticulous! Time to lecture your friend. :ROFLMAO:

The engine will be happier with a much cheaper oil and a much shorter OCI.
My Tacoma iirc says use engine oil and it's not picky.

btw, even Amsoil page says:

Severe condition:
which I'm sure most cars fall under: 700 hrs, 1 yr, 15K miles. Whichever comes first.

I would pay attention to 700 hrs.

Normal condition:
700 hrs, 1 yr, 25K miles. Whichever comes first.

I would pay attention to 700 hrs.

Oil Filter:
I don't trust any over 12K mikes.

Oil:
I can't sleep if over 8000 miles even with "Extended" oil. :)

Last edited:
I’d be interested to see what Blackstone’s notes were on the 25k OCI On the previous oil change.

Back