2015 Tacoma 1GR-FE 4.0L Amsoil SS 0w-30 24.5k OCI

We changed the air filter when we changed the Oil. Put in another round of Amsoil SS 0w-30 and a Fram ultra. Mostly highway miles.

Attachments

• 15 TACOMA DUSTIN-200731(1).pdf
    88.4 KB · Views: 328
Pretty impressive given the mileage! I don't have it in me to extend changes anywhere near that long, I've made it to 10k a time or two and that was a struggle!

Surprised the TBN is so high. Viscosity increase would have me hesitant to run the oil longer, but that's just me personally. Is Amsoil SS 0w-30 considered a thick 30 weight to start with?

I wonder how a GDI would like after a 25,000 mile oil change.

Excellent showing for the Toyota [as expected] and the Amsoil. Was any oil added?

Pretty impressive given the mileage! I don't ha.ve it in me to extend changes anywhere near that long, I've made it to 10k a time or two and that was a struggle!

Surprised the TBN is so high. Viscosity increase would have me hesitant to run the oil longer, but that's just me personally. Is Amsoil SS 0w-30 considered a thick 30 weight to start with?
The viscosity is 10.4 per the data sheet I just looked up amsoil data sheet link

I did a 13k in a gdi and that’s about as far as I was willing to go

The most I did was 8000 miles in my wife's 3.3L Hyundai Lambda II Engine, and I wasn't comfortable with it. I was so caught up in fixing up our house (HVAC and plumbing rebuild) that I didn't take care of it. It ran on whatever cheap Pennzoil the dealer put in it last time. I used to take my own Mobil 1 jugs to the dealer, but the last time I went there they refused and because I didn't have time to argue with them I went with whatever they had. Anyway, these days I do the oil changes for the entire family and I'm very particular about what goes into our motors, mostly because of the BITOG forum. I do 5000 miles or less OCIs on everything. Change your oil, keep your engine. God knows, even though I use their ATF, I don't buy into AMSOIL's long OCI BS marketing. They make decent oil, but it's not magical and doesn't contain unicorn tears in it.

The most I did was 8000 miles in my wife's 3.3L Hyundai Lambda II Engine, and I wasn't comfortable with it. I was so caught up in fixing up our house (HVAC and plumbing rebuild) that I didn't take care of it. It ran on whatever cheap Pennzoil the dealer put in it last time. I used to take my own Mobil 1 jugs to the dealer, but the last time I went there they refused and because I didn't have time to argue with them I went with whatever they had. Anyway, these days I do the oil changes for the entire family and I'm very particular about what goes into our motors, mostly because of the BITOG forum. I do 5000 miles or less OCIs on everything. Change your oil, keep your engine. God knows, even though I use their ATF, I don't buy into AMSOIL's long OCI BS marketing. They make decent oil, but it's not magical and doesn't contain unicorn tears in it.
That sounds kind of wasteful depending on the engine. You don’t buy into this long drain interval even based on this UOA? I am switching to every 4 months on my GDI regardless of miles. It’s a 3.6L LFX

That sounds kind of wasteful depending on the engine. You don’t buy into this long drain interval even based on this UOA? I am switching to every 4 months on my GDI regardless of miles. It’s a 3.6L LFX

I do every 6 month or 5000 miles. We don't put that many miles on our vehicles. Oil is not the only problem with GDI engine, gasoline is also an issue. GDI would prefer premium gas, however, it's hard to justify because the minute improvement in fuel mileage doesn't justify the price difference. It's just cheaper to change the oil more often.

God knows, even though I use their ATF, I don't buy into AMSOIL's long OCI BS marketing. They make decent oil, but it's not magical and doesn't contain unicorn tears in it.

What?

You're sitting here reading a UOA that shows that not only was this oil good for such an extended drain interval, but in fact, it shows signs that it could've kept going. How are you reading that and still claiming that it's Amsoil's "BS marketing"? It's funny, I've gone to their site and don't see anything about "unicorn tears" or blending with "magical" properties, just information regarding it's ability to extend intervals and reduce wear. I can't speak for the reduced wear, but this UOA should show that they're probably telling the truth regarding extended intervals.

What?

You're sitting here reading a UOA that shows that not only was this oil good for such an extended drain interval, but in fact, it shows signs that it could've kept going. How are you reading that and still claiming that it's Amsoil's "BS marketing"? It's funny, I've gone to their site and don't see anything about "unicorn tears" or blending with "magical" properties, just information regarding it's ability to extend intervals and reduce wear. I can't speak for the reduced wear, but this UOA should show that they're probably telling the truth regarding extended intervals.

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't express myself properly so I'll provide some additional context for you: I dare you to do the same run in a Ford EcoBoost 3.5 Engine short tripping it or in a Honda 1.5 Turbo while running 87 octane gas. Because, God knows that most people, including me, don't want to pay almost 40%~50% more per gallon for premium fuel. So, you pull a run like this in one of those engines on AMSOIL and then we talk.

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't express myself properly so I'll provide some additional context for you: I dare you to do the same run in a Ford EcoBoost 3.5 Engine short tripping it or in a Honda 1.5 Turbo while running 87 octane gas. Because, God knows that most people, including me, don't want to pay almost 40%~50% more per gallon for premium fuel. So, you pull a run like this in one of those engines on AMSOIL and then we talk.
1. I don't have either of those engines, but I see what you're aiming at. The thing is, however, that it has nothing to do with the engine oil, rather the dilution issues inherent in those issues. I don't see how an engine diluting an oil is the fault of the lubricant, and neither does it take away from the qualities of the lubricant itself. It's on the vehicle owner to educate themselves on the capabilities of their engine, set realistic goals for OCI length, use a lubricant up to the task, and use available tools to monitor engine health.

2. Again, you're in a thread showing how in the right application, Amsoil's engine oil meets its claim of extended intervals. You've yet to post anything to substantiate your claims that their marketing of extended intervals is "B.S.".

3. At the end of the day, this really has nothing to do with this UOA, and while a conversation absolutely could be had regarding extending OCIs in different engines, maybe it belongs in its own thread.

Amsoil doesn't recommend 25K mile OCI on those engines so, not sure what your point is.

OP do you drive a lot? Or do you prefer to do oil changes less frequently?

Just curious since I have the same truck and have felt that 5k oil changes is excessive (too frequent) for these engines.

OP do you drive a lot? Or do you prefer to do oil changes less frequently?

Just curious since I have the same truck and have felt that 5k oil changes is excessive (too frequent) for these engines.
This is my friends truck, and yes to both of those

You are making the mistake of applying the UOA results from one engine to a completely different engine.
Each engine type can only be compared to the same or similar.

Same pretty much goes for oil. You cannot say "oil x went 5000 miles and was depleted so oil y can only go that far"

Compare DI turbo to itself, and NA port injection to itself and not to each other.

OP, glad you are using Amsoil to its fullest.

Back