2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled the trigger on one of these things. I already have a stash of QSUD and M1 AFE 0w20 that I have acquired at cheap prices for the Mazda I used to own. So after the first 3k free change at the dealer, I'll be set for some time for many 5k to 6k mile OCIs. Looks like the Fram XG7317 fits this engine, so that is probably the filter I will go with.

Last edited:
Either go back to the dealer or get them online. Replace the crush ring on the drain plug each time you do a change. I know you might get away with a few uses but it's cheap insurance for not having a leak. You can get them in 10's & 20's on eBay cheap.

WRONG filter dude. Subaru oil filters have a higher bypass setting than many aftermarket filters such as that Fram, which has a 13 PSI bypass setting. Subaru specs 23 PSI. The OEM dealer oil filter made by Fram has the proper bypass setting and an O ring filter gasket instead of the typical flat rubber filter gasket.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I read that the Wix 57055 or Napa Gold 7055 might meet the PSI spec, anyone know if that is true?

Good filter choice. Will work fine. Forget the internet blather about bypass psi. You will be just fine as long as you choose a filter recommended by the filter manufacturer.

Read about the HIGH output of the oil pump. If you don't know why they spec the oil filter with the high psi, you shouldn't be recommending something that is not specced for this engine. Look at what the PSI is in the filter at mid to high RPM's. It will be in bypass on a regular basis. I use the Wix 57055 and get them in 6 packs from Rock Auto. I would recommend the Wix or Napa Gold.

I don't trust the PSI rating on the Fram Ultra in Subaru apps.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Read about the HIGH output of the oil pump. If you don't know why they spec the oil filter with the high psi, you shouldn't be recommending something that is not specced for this engine. Look at what the PSI is in the filter at mid to high RPM's. It will be in bypass on a regular basis. I use the Wix 57055 and get them in 6 packs from Rock Auto. I would recommend the Wix or Napa Gold.

I don't trust the PSI rating on the Fram Ultra in Subaru apps.

This is discussed once per month on this site and beat to death. I wonder about the millions of Subarus on the road not running proper filter, all of the UOAs that show things to be just fine on non high psi spec filter. On and on and on. The psi setting is related to the filter material. Since Fram makes both the Subaru filter and the XG they understand fully the actual spec requirements so they know what they are doing when they suggest the XG in this application. Even Motorking has posted in the past that the XG is fully capable in the Subaru application.

It is a nonissue and is only made to be an issue by armchair internet engineers who see one small detail (bypass psi) and set that as an absolute requirement for the filter without one spec of proof or data that filters recommended by the oil filter manufacturers are bad. Unless they have a test lab and can show data to back uo the statement then all they are is internet blather.

Unless someone is an idiot and reves their engine up on cold oil the XG (and probably most all oil filters) will be fully capable to flow the flow rate of a Subaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back