2015 Nissan Frontier. differential gear oil High wear

2015 Nissan Frontier. High wear. NO towing. NOTHING on magnet. Oil looked new. NO abuse. NO noise or whine.
Totally confused as why UOA so bad. Ideas?

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    150.6 KB · Views: 139
What were the comments? They usually include a mileage on which the "universal average" is based. For all we know, it's based on a 20k OCI. Unless you're experiencing issues, I wouldn't worry at all.

It would be nice to see TAN, but that's OK, the viscosity and FP both look good, so the fluid wasn't "bad" or the source of wear, most likely.

Sorry if I missed it, but assuming you didn't put 50K miles on this oil change, has this "bad" report been able to be repeated?

Given what you describe and knowing the reliability of the VQ40, I'd call this a fluke. Keep up on your oil/filter changes and repeat the test.

EDIT. Whoops. now I see this is for a differential and not the engine.. Disregard the above. LOL

Last edited:
What lubricant was in there? Is this an open diff or does it have an LSD assembly?

My 2012 Frontier has an LSD unit and the Fe (Iron) or any other metal has never been over 50 ppm for the same mileage.

The only other item I can think of causing readings like that would be a drive pinion bearing or an axle (wheel) bearing.

Have you looked inside the fill hole to see if there is any tooth wear or chipped teeth?

I would have them retest or send another sample to a different lab.

open diff
Nothing on magnet but next time I will use my scope and take a look.
about to retest after 18000 miles
thanks

Mobil one 75w-90

upon getting my 2011 fronty SV 4X4 with Dana-nissan rear i changed ALL drivetrain lubes as they were prolly OE, put in all Redline lubes + switched to Dana recommended real synthetic 75-90 Redline of course. picked up a few mpgs + still running smooth about 5 years later!!! truck gets light local use + haul about 3 half ton loads of coal yearly, prolly one this wed as temps are looking to be better!!!

Back