2015 Nissan CVT filler tube cap reinstall

Do you guys see a problem with putting the cap back on WITHOUT (off center?) latching it onto the filler tube lock mechanism??? It sits on snug with o-ring pressure but my concern is if there is too much internal fluid pressure or road vibrations to force it off and subsequent fluid loss. Just wanted to make it easier to access at the next service.

Last edited:
That Nissan CVT filler cap is a pita. I think they did it to discourage DIY. Or to mess with me, which it did.
I have serviced one for close to 5 years and at least 4 services. I reinstall it 180* out.
FYI, I like the Castrol and Valvoline CVT fluids.

You're right, but my concern is that the reason is simply to deter the average DIYer from simply servicing their vehicle. I'm replacing the side mount filter that was overlooked last time I did the fluid change.

That Nissan CVT filler cap is a pita. I think they did it to discourage DIY. Or to mess with me, which it did.
I have serviced one for close to 5 years and at least 4 services. I reinstall it 180* out.
FYI, I like the Castrol and Valvoline CVT fluids.
So you've not had an issue with it vibrating loose or forced out?

So you've not had an issue with it vibrating loose or forced out?
None whatsoever. The 1st time you remove it, it will be pretty stuck. Afterwards it will be easier. I even coat the o-ring with a little fluid.
Just push it on.

I also purchased a CVT dip stick from Ebay. The Altima used a dip stick prior to the plug. The shap is exactly the same, tab and all.
This makes services a snap. I use the plug when I am finished with the service.

Give it a try; put it in 180* out, drive a little and check it. It will be fine, you'll see. Good luck.

Why don't you just fill it from the drain plug like you are supposed to and how you check the level anyway?

You do realize that the drain plug is underneath the car from which the used fluid exits by gravitational forces... don't you??

None whatsoever. The 1st time you remove it, it will be pretty stuck. Afterwards it will be easier. I even coat the o-ring with a little fluid.
Just push it on.

I also purchased a CVT dip stick from Ebay. The Altima used a dip stick prior to the plug. The shap is exactly the same, tab and all.
This makes services a snap. I use the plug when I am finished with the service.

Give it a try; put it in 180* out, drive a little and check it. It will be fine, you'll see. Good luck.
God bless the aftermarket hackers who pick up where Nissan's greedy corporate engineering thugs left off.

If you have an aftermarket dipstick that shows you the exact level, it could cut down the excess fluid waste to hit the fill mark in the flawed factory process.

Huh? This is more accurate then trying to guess when the fluid is at the correct temperature for an accurate reading and one side of the dipstick always shows a different level than the other on old dipstick transmissions.

Huh? This is more accurate then trying to guess when the fluid is at the correct temperature for an accurate reading and one side of the dipstick always shows a different level than the other on old dipstick transmissions.
I have done it both ways on a 2015 Altima strippie. The dipstick seems to work fine on this car; I tried and checked it after the dribble level set.
In fact, I now use the MityVac to suck it out (3.5 to 4 qts) and replace approx the same; drive and check. Adjust as necessary.
I service this Altima a lot, because it was an ex-Hertz high mileage vehicle and those CVTs have been problematic.
You do add fluid throught the dipstick tube on these cars...

The fluid was horrid on the 1st drain; I did the first 2 services back to back with oil changes. Fluid seems pretty good now with 161K miles on the clock. Nice car, actually.
The dipstick is a Nissan part; they used on on the same car in prior years.

Last edited:
Back